1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, people were trying to Fire Hinch after the 2017 WS. Fans are stupid.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Has nothing to do with "seeing the light". Just because I don't have irrational hate, doesn't mean I think he is a good play caller.

3. Texanstradamus

hinch has a championship All I ask is for O’Brien to make it to the afc title game ....

4. Buck Turgidson

Bullshit, no they weren't.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The counter example is that Dierker was fired despite four division titles in five years, mainly due to lack of playoff success.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I hope you are trying to improve at your job... every day.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's actually kind of impressive how BOB can keep the "fire" vote trending upwards after winning games.

I love how one poster put it. The dream scenario is to win the Superbowl then fire the head coach. That has to be a first in sports.

No Worries likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Bruce Arians had Watson, the Texans would be at minimum 14-2 this year.

What O’Brien does to Watson is a disservice.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

14 wins seems to be the bar every year for the delusioned Texan ‘fan’. No other NFL fan base permeates with as much fake entitlement.

The O-line made real improvements this year. No coach or QB would have survived, let alone won, given the state of things. They are among the biggest reason this team has been able to still win double digits despite the tough schedule.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not original but I still like the idea "the South is not enough"

I hope they prove this in a couple weeks

11. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

We aren’t entitled. I think mostly frustrated with mediocrity year after year. This is a good year but definitely could be better with a better gm and coaching.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Were you expecting an 11 win season with the makeup of this team, and schedule, going into this season?

Every team that doesn’t get close to winning a super bowl is by definition mediocre. There have also been a lot of breakout teams that win suddenly and then fade (Eagles, Atlanta, Jacksonville being close).

I’ll take a team that has found its QB, it’s o-line anchors, and one with cap space regardless of all other circumstances.

#4832 Nick, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    No Worries, rugg31 and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I can’t wait til we fire BoB, and you guys all hate the new coach even more because we don’t even win the division. Then we have 4 years of waiting to see what he can do and Watson leaves.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

O'Brien is gonna leave the new coach in a terrible position asset-wise. O'Brien came into plenty of offensive and defensive talent, wastes it, wastes future assets, then ???

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You surely must live on bullshit alley.

Choke City Returns........

TheRealist137 likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The Texans have secured their fifth winning season in six years under Head Coach Bill O’Brien (2014-19). Prior to 2014, Houston had only put together three winning seasons in team history. Additionally, O’Brien’s five winning seasons are tied for the most by an active NFL head coach in their first six full seasons as a coach. In 2018, the Texans earned their first double-digit win season since 2012 and recorded the second-most wins in team history (12 in 2012). The Texans also joined the Chiefs and Patriots as the only teams in the NFL to win their division three times from 2015- 18. O’Brien’s three division titles in his first five seasons are tied for the most by an active head coach in their first five years.

Most Winning Seasons In First 6 Years, Active NFL Head Coaches
    5 – Andy Reid, 1999-04
    5 – Mike Tomlin, 2007-12
    5 – John Harbaugh, 2008-13
    5 – Bill O’Brien, 2014-19

rugg31 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

O'Brien's regular season record is 52-43.

He's 1-3 in the playoffs with all the losses in embarrassing fashion. The win was against Connor Cook.

juanm34 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Now let’s just get Nick Caserio here and really shape this team and roster into true super bowl contenders year in and year out.

19. Mr. Clutch

He's gonna do that with 4-6 round picks and limited capspace?

juanm34 likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What? You are saying our team is worse now than when he came in? We have Deshaun Watson. QB is the MOST important position. The rest are still pretty close. Hopkins is better than his rookie year. And we have so much cap space. The fact that you are already making excuses for the next coach shows you just hate the current guy. Who is your pick to replace him? Because looking around the league I see a ton of worse coaches. And the better ones are staying with their teams.