1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The importance of the #2 seed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Dec 21, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes, but the real winners are those who win all the year, basketball is mostly regular season.... playoffs comes only for a short period of time... if we lose in po i just move on and i am ok , but if were losing in RS then watching basketball is no fun

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Remaining back-2-backs (Rockets): (some reports Eric Gordon may come back this week)
    https://hoopshype.com/storyline/eric-gordon-injury/
    Dec 28 (Nets)
    Dec 29 (Pels)

Jan 8 (Hawks)
    Jan 9 (Thunder)

Jan 14 (Grizz)
    Jan 15 (Trailblazers)

I hope Rockets make a trade using Gerald Green and Nene contracts here

Jan 26 (Nuggets)
    Jan 27 (Jazz) WB can probably play B2B’s around this time.....or added help (trade) allows WB cont’d rest with B2B’s

Feb 6 (Lakers)
    Feb 7 (Suns)

Apr 7 (Mavs)
    Apr 8 (Spurs)

Apr 12 (Spurs)
    Apr 13 (Suns)

#22 ApacheWarrior, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    saleem likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Clearly Morey wants playoffs win.

MDA wants 2 seed.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

for safety.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Anyone wants BB from Kings? lakers like him.

how about Jae crowder, 17th best in forward in defensive win share.
    39.8% in 3 pointer in 2017 season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Find a guy
    Allow tucker to rest.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Continue to develop Westbrook's role attacking the basket and team chemistry when he or Harden are doubled, focus on building consistent top 5 or 10 defensive habits. Also, continue to develop McLemore & House (let Gordon fully recover pain free and become sharp), as well as add a solid backup big or 3&D wing with length addition to the bench for depth.

Use that depth to focus on team health and conditioning and hit your peak/ get hot at playoff time.

Play for the #1 overall seed and championship.

This team has won 65 games before and nearly won a championship against a dynasty, don't settle for the #2 seed.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Talk is easy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

this is your best plan?..
    Step 1, win 20 games in a row,
    Step 2, rest tucker 10 games, win 9 of 10,
    Step 3, rest harden 10 games, win 7 of 10.

#29 BigBum, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I seriously don't think the Lakers will end up #1

Rocket River

ico4498, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i still dont think they will even make playoffs

Mazulis, clutchdabear and juanm34 like this.
  12. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

The 1 seed isn’t out of reach y’all. That would be ideal because then we’d only have to play 1 of the lakers and clippers (probably, unless Denver wins more games than the Clips)

D-rock likes this.
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Why don't we just get the number 1 seed ?

hakeem94, D-rock and mike2k132 like this.
  14. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

With Eg coming back and possible an add of a 4 via trade ,we can get that top spot ,

D-rock likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

with the Clippers loss to the Thunder, we’re now the 3rd seed and 1 game back in the loss column behind Denver for the 2 seed

let’s get it

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I wonder how good denver is at home, cant wait. Thou we got 2 home games with them soon, we have a game at pepsi center 26th to see.

s3ts and D-rock like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Denver is terrible defensively inside against quicker post players. They can really defend the perimeter well and the lane but Jokic is just bad defensively against someone with any length or mobility.

D-rock likes this.
  18. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

This is a good chances or final chances without Golden states. Harden and westbrooks should get into NBA finals at least. I hope Houston can get a strong forward against AD and Gianns. I think Kenneth Faried is a good choice for backup. We dont need to afraid curry and Thompson for 3. Management needs to think about how to secure to upgrade forward position. I think Houston will get into western finals vs Lakers and finals vs Bucks. It needs to get prepare now especially there is no warriors this year. If u wait for next year, golden state may get a 1st round pick and their bench are well trained. After curry and Thompson come back, it has less chances as they have 3 shooters able to get 20 plus score. For now, most of the team just have 2 big who can guarantee to shoots 20 plus. Also Nets Durrant will fully recover. Management should give all focus to this year even pay a bit more salary tax

hakeem94, D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  19. s3ts

s3ts Member

Let me just say...

Just set reasonable expectations, that's all I ask from fans. If you have blame at the end of the season, and it doesn't mostly fall on Harden, I think that's an acceptable low bar for me at this point aside from LOFs who keep this BS up for no reason.

I mean, last season, Harden had to play lone wolf to get us good seeding, and then he got blamed for a shitty playoff performance when he got them there in the first place...

I will live and die with this team. It's the shitty fans who can't stick with the team because of ridiculous expectations that drives me nuts.

D-rock likes this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

Here's the importance of getting the 2nd or higher seed: only 8 out of 73 = 11% of NBA champions have been 3rd seed or lower. Only 2 out of 73 = 2.7% of NBA champions have been 4th seed or lower. (source)

Whatever complex combination of factors goes into it, historically the data says you're probably not winning unless you snag one of the top 2 seeds. Of course, getting one of the top 2 seeds also indicates you're probably a pretty good team, and good teams tend to win championships. Regardless, this isn't baseball where upsets in the playoffs happen frequently due to the nature of the game. In fact, big championship upsets seem to be nearly nonexistent in NBA history. You could make a damn strong case that the League should only take the top 4 seeds from each conference because nothing would be lost, and it would shorten the way-too-long NBA playoffs.

The Rockets need a top 2 seed, because to have a decent shot at winning it all, they need to be a team good enough to get a top 2 seed in the first place.

Then again, the Rockets have a future Hall of Famer and just traded for another one, in the process uniting two old friends and teammates. If they don't get the ideal seed going into the playoffs, it's probably still alright to Dream.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.