1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The importance of the #2 seed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Dec 21, 2019.

1. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

The West is shaping up like a bloodbath in the playoffs with the winner of the #3 likely drawing Utah and the #4 seed getting Denver, Dallas, Houston or the Clippers.

Assuming the Rockets don't make up the ground on the Lakers for the #1 seed, getting the #2 and facing a .500ish team like OKC or Portland in the 1st round could be a big deal.

The alternative if they slip to the #5 seed could be;

Rnd 1 - Clippers, Denver or Dallas on the road
    Rnd 2 - Clippers, Denver or Dallas on the road
    Rnd 3 - Lakes on the road

Brutal

I think the Rockets need to consider playing Brodie on 2nd day of back to backs and really prioritizing playing for the #2 seed.

Deuce, Hakeemtheking and Relativist like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No thanks to playing Brodie on back to backs.

We're already murdering all these oldies with minutes. We've always looked gassed in the playoffs. I'd rather be healthy and not exhausted and take a tougher road. We won't have a problem beating anyone but the Lakers and Clippers. We have so much playoff experience, we have murdered everyone but the Warriors in the playoffs. Like wiped the floor with everyone.

Von Rafer, s3ts, Richie_Rich and 12 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

you still have over 60% of the season left. the seeding isn't close to being what it is. way too early for this

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

I want to rest harden 10 games.
    Use 11.7 mil te, mavs is able to add a good player.

edwardc likes this.
  5. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

yeah yolo is right, its kind early for this. we might have a 20 winning streak coming you never know

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Gotta think about the biggest factor though:

More home games in the playoffs = more empty Toyota Center camera time on National TV

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

lol what? I’ll bet the Lakers don’t end up the one seed. Anthony Davis is the most fragile super star, just wait til he starts missing games cuz he got hurt in warmups. They already lost to Indy without him.
    Plus their schedule about to get a lot harder. We haven’t even played them once.

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We will be the 1st seed!!!!!!!!

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I was going to make a similar thread to this. I think it’s extremely important to get the 2nd or 3rd seed, and furthermore approaching the end of the season try to manipulate the standings if we can by allowing any team (Dallas or Denver) overtake Clippers in the standings similar to what Denver did last year with Portland to hurt us.

I don’t actually think this will happen but our best chance for a deep postseason run is to avoid facing BOTH LA teams. I think we can beat either, but am less confident we can beat both in a row. The longer the postseason is the more likely Harden (Or any star) will have bad games.

Having said all that, what is going on with Dallas??? I thought for sure the Luka injury would doom them. They’re just going to get better once Luka comes back. I want us and Denver to be the number 2 and 3 seeds. Keep Dallas with the LA teams.

10. junk151

junk151 Member

Still early and a lot can change. I don't believe the Lakers are a lock for the 1 seed and they're not the juggernaut the Warriors teams were but...how important is the 2 seed? Ask last year Rockets

Hakeemtheking, D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cause nothing gets you a championship
    Like getting your second best player hurt

Rocket River

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Playoffs are for losers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I disagree with playing him on back to backs...they have 40 million a year invested in him and he's coming back from a knee surgery and he's older...the worst thing that can happen is he tears his acl….we would be finished as a franchise. we need his A game in the playoffs and that's all that matters and for someone who's game is all athletiscm, I think they're making the right decision...

I think with EG back we can get the 2 seed even with russ resting.

Lawlruschang, D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1st seed, 2nd seed, 5th seed -- it don't matta

when foster brothas & co roll up it's ova

toy center or staples center, silver's balance sheet gonna be front n center

pugsly8422, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  15. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

I’m very skeptical Lakers could keep this winning %. I think the West #1 seed to #5 seed could be very close and it may come down to the final few weeks in March

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silver and his goons going down this season too. They can't keep up with our pace, we will run them into an early grave.

Lawlruschang and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

We are 4.5 games out of first and 1 game out of second. I think we are fine maintaining the status quo.

Mazulis, ico4498, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Idc about seeding - just wanna be healthy at all costs - period.

id also be willing to sacrifice a few games to make sure everyone is rested for playoffs - and to try to get some bench guys into the grove - just in case...

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Dallas isn’t going to be slowing down and I actually wouldn’t be shocked if they are the 1-2 seed. The Clippers will go on a tear too.

I don’t care about our seed as much as match ups.

I want no part of Dallas.

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The real winners are about that tournament.

hakeem94 likes this.