1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

hypotheticals for each team:

Mets get:
    SS Carlos Correa

Astros get:
    SP Steven Matz
    SS Amed Rosario
    3B Mark Vientos

Reds get:
    SS Carlos Correa

Astros get:
    SP Luis Castillo

White Sox get:
    SS Carlos Correa
    SP Rogelio Armenteros

Astros get:
    C James McCann
    SP Michael Kopech

Nook and Htown Legend like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For the people wanting to take pitch forks to projections.....Houston will surely enter the 2020 Season projected as one of the Top 3-4 teams. From an offseason standpoint, that's about as good a job a front office can do. It is up to players to win and stay healthy.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No idea about top trade.

I think Reds would be foolish to trade Castillo for Correa..mostly because they shouldn't trust the Astros when Astros are dealing a guy with an injury history. 2nd half stats don't bother me for Castillo.

White Sox....That's an interesting scenario. Injury risk for catcher and injury risk. Team doctors for both teams would not like this trade as it puts them on the spot.

4. AstrosRockets1818

Agree. The MLB blueprint is as simple as win your division. The best team does not always win the Postseason as we’ve seen for the past 3 seasons in my opinion.

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

You are correct there is several areas the Astros may see improvement.

I can't wait to see McCullers (26) take the mound. Alvarez (22) gets a full season in the majors to try and hit 50 HR. Tucker (22) probably gets 145+ games to improve on his all around game.

What does Greinke and Verlander teach the young arms that are waiting for the chance to learn from their 430 big league wins? Josh James, Framber Valdez, Cy Sneed, Jose Urquidy just to name a few that aren't past organizational darlings like Whitley or Martes. There are many big league arms that could blossom, many. Some could be trade piece for a veteran catcher or an established arm.

So what if the Astros aren't spending crazy money. If they lock up Springer that is huge. He just keeps getting better. Dude is 1st class, hits in the clutch, plays his ass off, ultimate teammate, that's where the money should go. He is in his prime with the rest of the core and future core already contributing.

The one area for concern for the wound up fans is it is high unlikely the Astros have dueling Cy Young pitchers next season, but despite having that component in 2019 the Astros didn't win the WS. In 2017 JV finished 5th in Cy Young voting and the Astros won it all. Baseball is a flaky results numbers game, full of surprises. I for one like to enjoy this part of the ride like you.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  6. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

You're definitely right, it's just such a random process.

At the end of the day, it seems like we haven't had timely hits in the big games. Nothing our management can do about that.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wonder how big of a price we would have to pay to get Clevinger. Obviously Whitley, but how much else?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think a package of Whitley, Toro, and Abreu would be fair, although I don’t think Houston should do that deal.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I wonder if ATL would consider a trade based around Correa and Soroka. My gut says no, but their lineup would be filthy with Correa at SS, and we may be able to add pitching pieces to offset the loss of Soroka.

Edit: unrelated, but Martes should be back soon, right? Any chance he fulfills his once-high expectations? Feel like he really hasn’t gotten his shot yet...I’d be ecstatic if he could man the SP5 slot or better.

#1369 awc713, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yup, all you have to do is get in and hope you’re hot and/or lucky.

But the Red Sox were the season long best team in baseball in 2018 and that played out in the playoffs.

11. prospecthugger

Martes should be fully healthy in spring training. He even pitched some in the minors near the end of this past season. Given how bad he was in 2017 and the fact he's basically missed 2 years, I don't have much hope for him. I wouldn't be shocked if he came out and cemented himself as a bullpen mainstay this year, though.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see CHC trading something centered around Bryant for Betts. KB doesn’t seem likely to resign in CHC...he did file the grievance related to his call-up date.

raining threes and Vivi like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tucker, Reddick, and Javier for Betts, Price, and $30M?

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

Ian Kinsler announced his retirement. Thank you for committing the error in the bottom of the 13th inning of Game 3 of the 2018 WS!
    Why is this of significance to the Astros? It broke the record previously held by the you know what game (Astros lost, 2005 WS). Without that error, it's still the longest game in WS history. The error extended the game and took us off the hook. Crap records like that (when your team is on the losing end) are never nice to have. So now whenever announcers bring up "longest WS game ever" it doesn't have to be that one!

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Glad they were able to bring him back. He’s a human eraser to opposing teams’ base stealers.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We still need another catcher.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

Didn't Gerrit Cole have his lowest ERA games with Maldonado? Suck it, Yankees.

whiskeyred and LonghornFan like this.
  19. awc713

awc713 Member

The Yankee tears will be oh so sweet when Cole's sporting a 4+ ERA without Strom and Machete. Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher...but infield flys are HRs now, and that's not changing anytime soon. Neither is Yankee Stadium's is awfully short porch. Hate to see it. ;)

Sidenote: LOVE the deal. 2y/7m is a great cost for competent catcher play. Machete is a quality player. And he wants to be here, clearly. LFG. Really lets us allocate funds elsewhere.

#1379 awc713, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Vivi, RustyHarden and Marteen like this.
  20. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Garrett Stubbs? Chirinos is way out of our price range (3 years, at least 10M per year) base on what was reporting here earlier.