1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) ‘Tis the (trade) season: 13 players the Rockets could — and should — be targeting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea but if you haave covington and Bertans in the lineup for rockets, that is heck of subitution for House and tucker, even if you have to slash Capela, but Thomas Bryant (13.9-8.5rpg) his scoring and reb would go way up around harden, be ideal capela replacement.

Also the chance for minny to get wall and first, as well as cavs to get wiggins,culver and 1st to me seems like a deal they would all jump on hard.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

With the exception of Rudy Gay, most of these guys who were readily available in free agency (MLE) but now he's gonna take on their money ... suuuuuurrreeeee.

You had Trevor Ariza. You had Bird Rights. You let him go.
    You had Brandon Knight's $13M expiring but now I'm supposed to believe you'll take on Iguodala, Clarkson, Covington?
    You could have signed Shumpert to a large one-year deal or 3 years with only the first year guaranteed. You let him go.

Sorry, nothing to see here. Pure fantasy list.

Rudy Gay - signed 2 years, $32M
    Trevor Ariza - signed 2 years, $25M
    Wayne Ellington - signed 2 years, $16M
    Jabari Parker - signed 2 years, $13M
    Garrett Temple - signed 2 years, $10M
    Reggie Bullock - signed 2 years, $8.2M
    Markeiff Morris - signed 2 years, $7.4M
    Wilson Chandler - signed vet. minimum

Andre Iguodala - $17,185,185 expiring
    Jordan Clarkson - $13,437,500 expiring
    Robert Covington - 2019-20: $11,301,219 | 2020-21: $12,138,345 | 2021-22: $12,975,471
    Jae Crowder - $7,815,533 expiring
    Josh Hart - 2019-20: $1,934,160 | 2020-21: $3,491,159

#42 J.R., Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Buttt... Buuuuttt Tillman said he has never told his team to cut costs. Don’t you believe him?

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The problem with the Rockets is that they aren’t a piece away. They are not close. They can target whoever they want. It won’t make them a contender until they upgrade the coach and are willing to pay for real difference makers.

#44 J Sizzle, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    raining threes likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

"Whatever it takes!"

Nook likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don’t really believe any of those acquisitions are substantially moving the needle for this team. The production you get from someone like Clarkson to McLemore isn’t moving the needle, and you might already have someone as productive as some of the 4’s here in Clark, but he barely gets playing time.

The fact is you have two point guards on super max salaries and you dumped a boat load of picks to get the worst of the two. You can retool everyone around them potentially but the problem is you have underperforming players on your secondary deals like Capela and EG so you have virtually no ability to make a trade and no picks to make that happen if you wanted to. Moving even more picks just to get someone like Covington who might barely play under DAntoni could be a terrible decision.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The regurgitation of Tilman “jokes” is strong here.

I use “jokes” loosely. None of them are funny. Turns out telling the same joke in a slightly different way 20,000 times makes it lame.

Here’s to some creativity on clutchfans like we used to display!

8. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

If Gordon comes back to being reliable, saying the Rockets are a good role player away is exactly right. Ben Mac or House will slide down to the Clark role but just Gordon coming back gives the Rockets a deep bench. Especially since MDA only plays 9 players anyway

ReturnOfTheMac and D-rock like this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

It’s definitely going to be Markieff. He’s the only player that represents an improvement and allows us to stay below the luxury tax. Also, we know the Rockets pursued him last season.

covington would makes us THE favorite IMO, but there’s not a practical path to that trade.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Twin is still FOE. Still close. Still wants to play.

One of the few legit guys from a list that is not legit.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In case you disappear again, Merry Christmas, Cod, to you and yours.

Twin, I guess, being Marcus or Marqueef.

D-rock likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

9 players?!?!

Only if we're leading by 30 at the start of the 4th. Make that 35.

14. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

No one is using fax machines...its almost 2020. Are you also going to tell me he is cutting costs by not renewing his Blackberry phone deals next? Oh s**t, black and white TVs, VCR's and pagers are the next to go.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man we're so lucky Tilman is the owner of the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't get in the sports business game if you are not equipped to handle it. Not going to apologize for calling out Tilman for not directing resources to improve a roster that is close to a championship with a generational star.

So miss me with that chit, @hakeem94

luckyman76 and mikol13 like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tradable salary for flexibility just thrown away.

luckyman76 likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

good lucky or bad lucky or lucky ducky?

19. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I'll believe he'll pay the LT when I see it too, but Tilman not being willing to pay $30mm out the door for Ariza's 33 year old season and presumably starting the repeater clock a year earlier (giving that argument the benefit of the doubt) is a lot different than trading for someone like Crowder for a half season.

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

In my opinion we need to be looking for a long 4 to backup PJ this year and hopefully develop into the future starter. It would be a smaller deal but the team I would try to deal with is Sacremento. The player I would target is Harry Giles. They have 5 power forwards on the roster and Giles is a former Duke player that still has time to develop in the league. He looks very timid this year, and you can tell he is trying to change his game to be more of a stretch 4. Not looking great at all either. I think a run and gun style and a change of scenery could give the kid new confidence. I would give up that Nene contract for him if we can't find anything better. This is a flyer worth taking to me.

#60 ballplayer, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019