1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giants waive CB Janoris Jenkins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Dec 13, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Although he is not on an NFL roster Sunday, there is every reason to believe that former New York Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins will be playing as soon as next weekend, and likely for a playoff contender, league sources told ESPN.

The bigger questions are whether Jenkins will clear waivers Monday or Tuesday, and how much money he will make.

If Jenkins clears waivers Monday as an injured player -- he has been nursing a minor ankle injury -- he would revert to the Giants' injured reserve list. But the Giants also could waive him off it, which they would be expected to do, meaning Jenkins would go on waivers a second time from Monday to Tuesday.

League sources believe that a playoff contender that has a need at cornerback, such as the Houston Texans or Kansas City Chiefs, could put in a claim or try to sign him after he clears waivers, according to sources. Any team that claims Jenkins would owe him two weeks of salary at $597,000 per week -- just under $1.2 million for the remainder of this season, along with a 2020 contract that is scheduled to pay him $11.25 million.

For now, Jenkins doesn't know whether he will clear waivers Monday, clear waivers Tuesday, be claimed by another team or have his choice of teams to sign with on Tuesday.

But the belief is that despite nursing an ankle sprain, Jenkins could be in a new locker room and back on the field as soon as next weekend.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If the Texans sign him, that'd be crazy on all sorts of levels. I'd love it.

Crazy in the sense that we'd have remade our secondary completely at the cost of a third round pick. Remade our secondary with the potential of developing one of the better secondaries in the league, if we re-sign them.

But also crazy in the sense of Obrien's family situation. If O'Brien is a big enough person to sign Jenkins, and Jenkins can somehow come here and turn this into a positive by working with the special needs community, that'd be a crazy good story.

Get it done, Bill.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If Texans sign this guy with possibility of Watt returning for playoffs granted Texans do what they gotta do to make the playoffs... this could be the difference in just a divisional round exit and a possible super bowl contender.

4. Two Sandwiches

Pat Storm says we officially put in a claim, for whatever that's worth.

Rudyc281, conquistador#11 and King1 like this.
  5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Great win-win potential with this story. Have Jenkins set up a foundation for helping special-needs kids, make a few 'heartfelt' PSAs on awareness, and as you said, remade secondary for a 3rd rd. pick. All this assumes he can still play, of course.

Idiotic (Or is that language also wrongthink in 2019?) decision by the Giants if that was the only reason to cut him. Skipped right past fine and suspension, Do Not Pass 'Go'. So I'm guessing there are other reasons, making his insensitivity a fine excuse.

Yep, get er done. William.

6. Two Sandwiches

Supposedly they had fined him for something previously, so they skipped that when he refused to apologize this time.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don’t forget the possibility of Suggs too.

8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Oh he's sketchy as hell, and had 'character concerns' coming out of college. Not surprised if this was a last straw sort of thing. I'm just surprised they didn't wait till the offseason to try and move him.

I just think it's a unique opportunity for Jenkins in Houston, given the cap situation, need for a good CB, strong locker room with Watson and Watt, and BoB's connection with the special needs community. Working with BoB on this subject could rehabilitate Jenkins's rep that much faster.

OTOH, he could be a complete turd, and Houston is an easy town to get into trouble.

9. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Suggs is saying he will not report to any team accept the ravens

10. Buck Turgidson

I liked how 'The League' handled it, they just replaced the 'r-word' with 'frittata'

11. Two Sandwiches

I agree completely. It's the perfect way to press the team forward. It'd also be a great sign in that we are no longer worried about everyone being a choir boy.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Not thanks. I’m all for people making mistakes and learning from them. But not super into guys that plug their ears with their fingers after making a mistake and say “Can’t hear you! I’m right
    !”

FLASH21 likes this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think it’s more the ZERO pass rush we are getting.

Red.Glare and eliefor3 like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Fine. Let him not report. Keeps him away from the ravens and you don't have to pay him.

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Isn't the downside of claiming Suggs off the waiver wire, for the purpose of keeping him away from the Ravens, that in doing so, the Texans go to the bottom of the priority list? So if someone else---that the Texans actually could start, and wants to play here---hits the wire, the Texans likely wouldn't be able to sign him?

How many serviceable players hit the waiver wire anyway, in a typical year? 'Serviceable' meaning an impact player who can be the difference in winning or losing a game. I don't think there's many.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

#36 pgabriel, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  17. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There is no downside. If he doesn't report, Texans put him on the non-report list. He doesn't get paid and the Texans don't have to free up a roster spot.

Edit: Chiefs claim Suggs.

I think the Texans are betting on JJ coming back.

Jenkins is more likely claim. I think the Texans are trying to survive not having a pass rusher to get by getting as many Cover CBs as possible.

#38 Mr.Scarface, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Saints got Jenkins.

Gray_Jay likes this.