1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did he just do this? If not, where were the multiple SoCal barbershop "sauces?!"

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Looks like a freshly minted 21 year old about to go to a Honkey Tonk bar in Tulsa for the first time to pop that boot scootin cherry.

3. LonghornFan

Yankee photoshop.

desihooper likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm happy Cole got that money but he does not seem to be the type who thrives under that much attention.

Not saying the pressure will get him but just the all of the things that encompass being a yankee and if the team does not start well, watch out.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Media Pressure in New York is Stressful, compared to Pittsburgh and Houston. Less than 10 media or newspaper interview the player.
    In New York 100s of Media and Newspaper will Stress you out if you dont perform well. Look at C.C Sabathia had stress that led to depression and anxiety, Luis Severino, Masahiro Tanaka all underperformed and Stress of the media really demotivates and humiliates you constantly.

HTown2017Champs, lw17 and astros123 like this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros could get a gem in Luis Castillo from the Reds.

raining threes, lw17 and htwnbandit like this.
  7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And hopefully the Astros staff will maximize him like with JV and Cole.

rockets1995 and lw17 like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Cole absolutely thrived under the pressure of the playoffs, there’s no reason he can’t do the same in NY. That’s silly. I expect Cole to continue being a top 5 or better pitcher for most if not all of that contract.

I doubt he replicates 2019 all that many times if at all, but if they get a bunch of 2018 Cole seasons, they’ll be very happy.

I’m impressed that the Astros offered that much if it’s indeed true, but not mad at them for not going 9 years.They don’t have the resources to recover from that big of a deal should it go south.

Would love to see a Springer extension now.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It’s almost like millionaire athletes are ok paying more tax to live in better markets...shocking

lw17 and Uprising like this.
  11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

For that much money I would have let his ass get his boots

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Remember the BoSox are regretting Chris Sale and David Price. Both basically took money from Mookie. I rather invest players who plays everyday than pitchers. I would love Cole for 4-5 years, but 9 years is way too many years.

gatsby, rockets1995, lw17 and 3 others like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I mean, they did win a WS... "regret" is a pretty strong word.

14. LonghornFan

Yeah, the rich know how to avoid those types of taxes. If he used this guy as his CPA he would be a complete fool.

Htown Stros likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

Most of these deals are frontloaded in terms of the team goals - they hope to win something early and then the rest is just a sort of required payday. Boston won a World Series as a result of those investments, so they did exactly what was hoped.

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

BoSox fired their GM because of those bad contracts and inability to sign Mookie. Pitchers do best on short-term contracts, those long-term contracts can cause pitchers to fall back on the contract and not worry about performance.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pitchers do best short-term.... because that's the nature of pitching. These guys have finite arm life-spans. Some adjust as the years go on (see Greinke) while others just go at the same speed till their arm falls off.

Right now, if you want those 3-5 good years of an elite pitcher, you have to overpay them for 7-9.

The Red Sox had a win-now at all costs GM. They won. They don't need him for the re-tool/re-load portion... of which he's never been able to accomplish.

18. Major

Major Member

... after they won a World Series. I'm sure every team would prefer to have these guys on short-term deals, but that's not really an option. Their choices were long-term deals or likely no championship.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Cole was always going to be a Yankee, but we made the attempt and that’s what you do. The Yankees flipped the power struggle. They are the favorites. Cole will be in Cy Young form. Verlander is gonna have to carry the load in the playoffs in a big way and we desperately need the phenom to be a phenom next year to flip the script. Our equation is filled with what ifs and hope. It’s little more than a rebellion at this point as we take on an empire.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

but it’s on like Donkey Kong!