1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official Thread] Media/Player Reaction to James Harden 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Da fuq? Really? From NBA-commenting media?

That's astounding in this day and age.

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The hate is so deep by certain members of the media that nothing, not even a ring or two will change their narrative! Absolutely pitiful!!

hakeem94, Blurr#7 and BaselineFade like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Look at the highest career TS%.

The best scorer in Jazz history is someone that no one ever discusses, but was an absolute beast.

4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Just had the bad luck to come up in the Magic/Bird era, and didn't play at the ridiculous pace those Nuggets teams next door did. Which is why an average NBA fan will think of Alex English before Adrian Dantley when asked to think of underappreciated NBA players of the early-mid 80s.

Richie_Rich and B-Bob like this.
  5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Scottie Pippen is truly an idiot & is banned from the city of Houston until further notice.

6. Naismith

Naismith Member

I know you fell that way,Hope you are underestimating the power of the RING

Reeko and BamBam like this.
  7. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Chiney always representing for H-town

RocketsFan247, Reeko, Deuce and 9 others like this.
  8. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Chiney really leaning into her H-town roots. She used to hide this when she first became an on air personality, so much so, I thought she claimed Houston but not the Rockets. I'm happy she is able to flex now. All Houstonians, unite!

RocketsFan247, Reeko and HoustonTexas like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sam Dekker has spoken

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why should I care or be impressed when I can drop 74? I would have dropped 74 last night on the Magic. It's not that impressive. You put me in that system, I'd average 50. --Scottie Pippen, -Kendrick Perkins, -Tracy McGrady

as Brian Windhorst, Rachel Nichols, Amin Elhassan, Dave McMenamin, Nick Friedell & Tim MacMahon nod & agree.

12. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Disappointed in SVGs take on Harden's shots being less contested compared to having to play in previous eras. Are you kidding me?

13. JW86

JW86 Member

The craziest part people need to recognise is that Harden is taking them from so deep and or creating so much separation due to the step back that even if he had been guarded up close, it might not look like that because they don't respect his range and or cannot contest fast enough. SVG is not a coach anymore for a reason, next!

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I just need to know which national TV analysts/personalities who we know watch our games. So far, I have Cheney, JVG, Sam Mitchell, and Jay Williams (LOL).... and Steve Kerr.

15. heypartner

I'd like to ask SVG to explain the illegal defense (of previous eras) being played here to prevent Harden from driving.

Then my follow up question would be to explain what Popovich is doing here with Duncan in terms of legality of previous eras, which is also what Spurs used in 2014 to beat Lebron -- HINT: extra defender strong side is illegal in previous eras.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why does this criticism only come up with Harden? Does SVG want to diminish other scorers of this era as well, or is it only Harden who’s shot defenders choose to not contest?

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn poor Dekker stuck in Russia lol.

18. heypartner

• Yep, and christsakes, he's wrong about no one contesting Harden's 3s. Where does that come from?
    • it's just the past 2 games really where defenses have decided to let him shoot for fear of fouling him. Is SVG really trying to suggest defenders don't contest his shot ... that's quite cute and demonstrably false.
    • Just because SVG says no one contests Harden's shot, doesn't make that a true statement. It's so false.

• Another fact: no one in previous eras actually shot that far back.

If you move up on Harden when he's that far away (or Curry or Luka), he's going to put his head down and get past you for downhill playmaking action. And when his head is down like that, with how strong he is, not only is hand-checking not really even possible (when he's facing you bent over with head down...what are you going to hand-check his forehead?), when they do get a hand/forearm on his hip on his move past them, it proves futile against his downhill strength ... too little/too late.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's peak Jordan setting a record with 6 three's in the 92 finals

Look at those closeouts.

My casual count -

1 unguarded corner
    2 Danny Ainge not even bothering to put his hands up and just letting him shoot
    3 or so ones with pretty garden variety guy getting his hand up on the closeout. I lost track as he missed a couple of these.

Maybe one or 2 would count as a closely guarded 3 today. Almost no contact on the follow through or undercut that happens always today.

And as usual, like I've said a bunch, when offensive players don't back their way into the basket, mark Aguirre style, the magic death touch hand checking is not a factor.

#159 SamFisher, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve honestly wondered if Harden looked like Curry would he get less hate. Am I wrong for even thinking this could be a thing? I don’t think I’m wrong and this coming from a pasty white dude.

Reeko, Nook, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.