1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Moahst

Moahst Member

The source is probably D'Antoni's agent who's pissed he didn't get his client's contract extended last summer.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Those guys are gonna cost lotsa money …. and money is the problem between Tilman , Mike , Dan and Tony ….

You really think Tilman's gonna pay a coach that much when he dumps a brinks truckload of assets to avoid a paying a dime in taxes ?

Not me , I think we get some no name from the G-League on an incentive laden exhibit 10 contract.

DonatelloLimestone and Gray_Jay like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey too I bet

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

If we don't win, I definitely see MDA and Morey elsewhere. Someone please enlighten me on our accomplishments with Morey and MDA.
    1. Best record in West 2017/18
    2. Lost in WCF in 2018
    3. James Harden MVP (should've been back to back)
    4. Traded for brand name players and former MVP (Russ)
    5. Ummm....Yeah...

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey has 3 years left on his deal after this year

6. Nook

Nook Member

I think you bring up a number of good points, and you are right that the Rockets could attempt to rebuild in a window of time. Also, for all we know, OKC may be worse than us and the flips never take place and then our risk is somewhat limited.

What we do know is that Morey can maximize getting assets on the margins and turning them into something. So I could see a situation where we take on salary eventually to get assets back.

As for Harden, if we enter a tear down period he would agree to a trade. He has discussed this before. He wants to stay in Houston but also wants to win and wants the organization to want him on the team.

The hardest part of that whole scenario is going to get ownership on board and to be patient.

It all comes down to opportunities. I look at the Dallas Mavericks. They identified the player that they wants (Doncic), they lost a lot of games, they traded up and landed him. Then shortly there after Porzingas falls in their lap. They will be a good team for likely a decade or more now. I personally think that they should have sucked a little longer....... but in a 2 year span they have a franchise player and possibly a second all star.

Gray_Jay and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

There is good chance that the source is actually Tillman or his son.

Tillman just cannot keep his mouth shut.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

The inability to adjust.
    The inability to make players better.
    The inability to extend his rotation.
    The inability to get his team to play hard every night.
    The inability to get on Harden and hold him accountable.
    The inability to run a play without it always being a 3.
    Should I continue? I liked MDA for a little bit but he has too many flaws IMO. But as much blame as MDA gets I think we still need to put some blame on DM and Tillman. You have a GM who has too much say so on what he wants the coach to run schematic wise. And you have an owner who is unwilling to spend the money to bring proven guys.
    I think a voice like Ty Lue, Mark Jackson, JVG, Sam Casell, or even Kenny Smith could really help this team. Anyone of those guys I’m sure would get on Hardens ass about playing harder.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The rockets and MDA are fine.

just watch.

we’re missing EG.

Rivers and chandler being in and out hurt also.

when we get healthy.

this team will be just fine and take off.

I’m 100% sure of that.

only the lakers bucks and clips worry me but we can beat them but they can also beat us.

we’ll smoke any other team in a 7 game series.

EG and Rivers are huge parts to the team and they really help Harden our.

Rivers is gonna be a dog and play they way he’s been playing 5 points or 15 points he’s going to make a huge impact like tucker does his playmaking is underrated.

if EG can come back and avg 17-18ppg with 38% 3 point shooting plus underrated D..... watch out it’s lights out for the rest of the team.

be calm my friends everything will work itself out we’ll be the 2 seed and play the lakers in the WCF and beat their ass when EG is wide open because teams are sending 2 guys at janes as Soon as he crosses half court.

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

FWIW, I've enjoyed reading the conversation you two have been having. Learned quite a bit.

I don't think Morey is here in 2023. I'm not sure how much longer he'll be here, three years left on his contract or not. Morey cost Fertitta and the NBA as a whole, quite a bit of money with his comments. Fertitta may feel that the upfront cost of the rest of Morey's contract is outweighed by, for example, being allowed a concession to build a Golden Nugget in Macao or Beijing. Something I doubt he has while Daryl Morey is a Houston Rockets employee.

Moreover, as we have seen in the Random Trade thread, without a license to spend, there isn't much Morey can do to distinguish himself from a replacement-level GM. This team is mostly set, sans some trash-to-treasure in the buyout market. Or maybe Capela does get flipped for a stretch 4 and a replacement defensive 5. But I don't think it takes a Morey to make that move.

Anyway, the conversation is great. Thanks to you both.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Salvy likes this.