1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Rendon is intent on a shorter deal, something like $220M/5yrs could work for both sides.

Houston has $60M+ coming off the books after 2020 (Gurriel, Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Peacock) and $90M+ coming off after 2021 (Correa, Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, Devenski, Osuna). The only real financial crunch is this season.

2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Make the Correa/Reddick for Castillo swap and then offer Rendon the 7 for 250 mil we offered Cole. Man that would be awesome lol

3. Nook

Nook Member

Josh Nelson just told me that there is a strong belief that either Rondon or Bumgarner will sign today of tomorrow from those following the event.

Said he has mostly heard Angels connected to Rendon.

Vivi likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Both he and his wife make poor choices and have maturity issues.

Also there are some in the organization that believe that his wife helps contribute to his focus not always being as strong as it should be.

5. Marteen

Marteen Member

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Horrible match on paper. Astros and Reds and both trying to do the same thing, except one is better than the other. Correa is likely a 5-WAR player if healthy. Castillo is likely a 4-WAR player if healthy. Basically, if Correa is healthy, Castillo needs to hurt a year and half to be a fair trade. I doubt Whitley is being discussed. Without him, I don't see this as a good deal for the Reds.

If Reds trade Castillo for Correa, the Reds will be saying they are significantly better at assessing risk than the Astros. Granted, I'm not too familar with Reds front office. Maybe they think they are that good.

Edit: It wouldn't be the first time an NL Central Team did something that I thought was so stupid that I wasn't amazed when it happened.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Out of just sheer curiosity, how did Correa really hurt his ribs? A little bit too much ___________?

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. prospecthugger

Jesse Winker is another young, controllable LF option that is conceivably available and I irrationally like, if they want to save money by trading Brantley.

awc713 and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Why is Correa a 5 WAR player if healthy? In 75 games last year he had a 3 WAR.... and he is entering his prime.

Castillo is probably a 4 WAR player? Perhaps, but for his career he is an 8 WAR player in nearly 500 innings and was almost unplayable for the second half of the season.

Also, of course the Reds believe they are better at assessing risk than the Astros. They know all the warts Castillo has. They know his personality, work habits etc.

I will say this.... if Correa plays 140 games or more next year, I will be shocked if he has less than a 6 WAR and would not be stunned if he has an 8 WAR.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Would bode well for Correa’s return, no? I don’t think LAD gives that much...but wow if so

Vivi likes this.
  11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

If Strom signs off on him, I’m sold

chievous minniefield and Nook like this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Correa for Castillo and Rendon signing makes too much sense. It’s a a solid video game move as well lol. Let’s hope there is fire where there is smoke

snowconeman22 and texans1095 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It doesn't hurt. The issue comes down to health. Lindor is less of an injury risk.

I hope the Dodgers make that deal, it will really weaken their system.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros page on the MLB app has a top story from a few days ago that the ‘Astros could consider Correa trade’. They are definately guaging interest.

15. Marteen

Marteen Member

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

5 is what I expect on average if he didn't have the back issue. Some years 4, some 6. Maybe an 8. Maybe a 3.

On Castillo's second half, Castillo's FIP rose from 3.68 to 3.72 while his ERA went from 2.29 to 4.78. I'm not seeing he big deal. He's a pitcher that is going to have good and bad games.

raining threes likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

1 year, $3M with $7M in incentives

#1037 J.R., Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Vivi likes this.
  18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Trading Brantley would be dumb. He’s the best contact hitter on the team and routinely has the best at bats, no matter how good the pitcher is. Also, it sends a terrible message to free agents. Sign with the Astros, produce at a high level, and get traded in the following offseason.

#1038 DVauthrin, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Sorry I can't read everything in here right now, we're linked (or possibly) to Rendon?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's Peter Gammons so I mean TIFWIW...

;)

whiskeyred likes this.