1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Well for all those fancy indicators...... he is still a pitcher with a 3.7 FIP last year and a career FIP of nearly 4. That is good but not fantastic. Further we have no idea of his work habits, any lingering injury concerns, off the field issues....etc. Plus adding Correa is a major splash for the Reds..... if he is healthy in that stadium he will hit 40-50 homers...... they had another guy do just that last year. Their line up would be very stacked with Correa.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... this is more for the posts wondering why the Astros aren't being mentioned in any of these rumors.

There was nothing prior to the Verlander trade breaking in 2017. There was previous interest in Greinke, but nothing mentioned leading up to the deadline or that day itself. The Harper deal that fell through had zero leaks until it didn't happen (and then the Astros were really communicating with the media of how it was "done" mainly to paint the Nats in an unforgiving light).

Basically there is a very good chance that if Luhnow makes a deal... you won't hear about it till its all done.

3. raining threes

Dammit

I've got to go back to work.

RKREBORN likes this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

So...if we were to actually pull off the Correa/Castillo swap and add Rendon (which I’m highly skeptical of)...does that pretty much nix a Springer extension? I think it has to with how this market is developing. Springers eyes have to be watering with the amount of dough being thrown around.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Unlike Morey who toots his own horn for anything

6. Nook

Nook Member

Keep in mind that Castillo had an era of nearly 5 in the second half of 2019. He also struggled with runners in scoring position.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You forgot showing up at the doorstep at midnight... with a brand new iPad.

There's actually not a wrong way to do things... I actually don't think the twitter leaks or media frenzies impact any of these deals one way or the other. Ever since the Dwight Howard- "SAUCES" Chris Broussard fiasco, trying to follow rumors/leaks/insider info on twitter has had infinitely less excitement for me.

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i was w some folks recently with a friend who worked for the team but has since moved on and they talked about how the organization was aware that his rib injury was directly related to his now wife and that they considered her more or less a liability (eg crazy).

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Astros can get Castillo for Correa, they should do it unless Astros are very confident Correa's back is no longer an issue. While not an ace, I'd be very happy with Castillo being a 3rd or 4th starter.

Reds would be placing a big bet (i.e., stupid) on Correa's back the next two years.

Screaming Fist and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Screaming Fist

Yeah, unless the Reds require Whitley to be in the trade, this is a no brainer for the Astros.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

As Nook has mentioned, both players have questions. Correa has extensive injury concerns along with potential off the field issues (his wife). Not to mention he was an Astros hitter during a time they are accused of cheating. Castillo had a bad 2nd half of 2019 and has only been a real ToR SP for 1 season, plus pitchers pretty much always carry some injury risk. It’s a good match on paper, especially if Houston includes a prospect.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I like him, but it’s just too much.

texans1095 and Nook like this.
  14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Would think that Springer would have to be gone if they did sign Rendon. They may have offered him a good contract extension already and if it's not accepted then they would view it as writing on the wall he will probably not re-sign. Similar to Cole.

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I hear ya, I'm still pissed Hal Lanier never pitched Jim Deshaies in the 1986 NLCS despite back to back extra inning games. Game 5 12 innings Loss. Game 6 was 16 innings, Lanier went with Lopez for 2 innings and he was rocked, then he pitched Jeff FREAKING Calhoun for the final inning to lose the game. What really ticks me off is Jimmy D's last three outings of the season he threw a 9 inning 2 hitter (then Ryan threw a 1 hitter, followed by Scott's Legendary No-hitter). Then after they clinched Deshaies pitched back to back EASY 5 inning shutout games. He was well rested and rolling yet he NEVER faced a single Met. If I saw Hal Lanier to this day I'd still owe him a punch in the gut because that's what 86 did to me and I blame him for the loss.

Some things take a real long time to overcome and some things you never get over.

persian hoopa likes this.
  16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Astros Cheating Probe to last well into 2020 per the Athletic.

Nook likes this.
  17. prospecthugger

What's the issue with his wife?

18. prospecthugger

I think Max Fried makes some sense as a Correa trade target as well. The Astros nearly drafted him over Correa apparently. He comes with 5 years of control and was worth 3 wins last year in his first full season in the majors.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. raining threes

You would have to ask a psychiatrist about this.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.