1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

There's quite a few examples of banging sounds on off speed pitches in 2017 over about a 3 month period, not just that 1st Gattis video. I believe Jomboy's videos were pulled for copyright violations. Nobody has found any real proof of bangs or whistling in last 3 postseasons or the 2018/2019 seasons; thus, the chatter that the Astros had vibrating devices starting as early as the 2017 postseason.

lw17 likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure no one here and no one in the organization is screaming from the hill tops to listen to Pete Rose. It’s just his opinion and one that you dismissed due to how fast the games were back in the day and your opinion of bad character. Yes, opinions, everyone can have theirs....so, who has more validity? Rose who played 3562 games at the MLB level and should be HOFer or a poster on an Astro board?

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  4. msn

msn Member

Nice rhetorical question. Maybe noone should ever post an opinion if there is a danger that a more qualified person thinks differently. What the hell is this anyway, a discussion board?

5. Rock Block

Supporting Member

I never said you cant post an opinion. I'm just saying some know more then others about a particular topic. You may not like Rose or his character and you have every right to that and to post it. All I'm saying is he has an experienced opinion/point and we shouldn't dismiss it because he bet on baseball......

htwnbandit likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the poster is msn, I'd go with msn. If it was Rock Block, I would go with neither on this issue.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would dismiss Rose's opinion because he bet on baseball, has not played in several decades, and I trust hitters using the system over someone that hasn't played in several decades, hasn't used the system, and bet on baseball.

If peak Rose was ported to the now, went through modern training, I'd have no problem throwing him into a batter's box. While I trust he could hit, his opinions matter outside what he could do in the batter's box mean nothing to me.

Granted, I don't think it increases odds of winning a game that much. My guess would be 2-4 additional wins during 2017 regular season.

8. msn

msn Member

Understood. Thing is, I didn't dismiss his opinion based on his character. I said he wasn't the type of guy you want in your corner. Two different things. I dismissed his opinion based on the fact that games last 33-66% longer now than in his time, largely due to the amount of time spent relaying signals between pitcher and catcher. Obviously Charlie is infinitely more qualified to discuss this than I; but I think it's a valid question regardless.

Rock Block likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rob Manfred called the Astros’ sign-stealing investigation “probably the most thorough” ever instituted by the commissioner’s office. Manfred said the office has interviewed nearly 60 witnesses and reviewed 76,000 emails. Manfred still has no timeline for its conclusion

“My hope is to conclude as promptly as possible,” Rob Manfred said before adding that the volume of information lends itself to many follow-up interviews.

#789 J.R., Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

This is probably where mlb is coming back with evidence to re-ask some of the coaches/players what they knew looking to drop the hammer with suspensions if they are lying. This might be where some of the players cave.

astros123 likes this.
  11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I have kind of been waiting to hear players comment on it, in any way/form. This might be the first time...aside from the anonymous ones in a recent article.

I just feel like once they comment, that means that they have been given a "green light" of sorts to say anything (if anything at all). Could mean a resolution is close?

lw17 and Houstunna like this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Whats a BB? Don't get half of these kids lingos

13. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Big B***
    Baby B***

Something with that 4 letter word lol

lw17 likes this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

Wrong lol.

***** boy is what it means lol

htwnbandit, lw17 and SS0101 like this.
  15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup.

lw17 likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lol. I knew the Lance response would be good but I’m really waiting for that ABREG tweet.

lw17 likes this.
  17. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Agreed on the game length. Certainly was not trying to say your opinion was invalid or you’re not free to post it.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/12/12/astros-sign-stealing-investigation-expands

SAN DIEGO — The Major League Baseball investigation into the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal has expanded to include the 2018 season, while investigators comb through more than 70,000 e-mail correspondences and telephone records of Astros club personnel in addition to more than 70 interviews conducted in person.

Midway through the 2018 season, an American League manager telephoned the office of the commissioner in New York with his suspicion that the Astros were illegally stealing signs at Minute Maid Ballpark in Houston, according to a source with that opposing team. The source said the manager had the same suspicion in 2017 but made the complaint in 2018 because “he felt he finally had enough of it.”

It was not clear what MLB immediately did with that complaint, but after the 2018 season MLB issued stringent protocols to limit and monitor the use of cameras and other technology during games.

A source close to the investigation confirmed that MLB is “pulling on threads from 2018” in the Houston probe, and though no evidence of violations like those from 2017 have been found, the work is ongoing. “If there is anything there, it will be found,” the source said.

At least one person interviewed said he was asked to turn over his phone to investigators. Baseball requested and received all company e-mails from club front office and support personnel. The sheer volume of material has slowed the pace of the investigation. MLB intends to finish the investigation before the start of spring training, possibly next month, according to a baseball source.

The scope of the investigation suggests the focus has widened from an on-field, uniformed issue to one more akin to what the NCAA calls “institutional control.”

The investigation began after former Houston pitcher Mike Fiers told The Athletic last month the Astros stole signs in 2017 with a camera installed in centerfield. An employee read the catcher’s signs on a monitor behind the dugout and banged on a plastic trash can to alert the Houston hitter when an off-speed was thrown. The lack of noise indicated a fastball. Based on Fiers’ account, video evidence and sources familiar with the investigation, the Astros deployed the illegal system for about three months in the 2017 regular season.

One of those sources said there is no evidence yet the trash can system was used in the postseason or in 2018. The “threads” being investigated from 2018 involve more nuanced methods, such as the possible use of video rooms to decode the sequence of signs used by opposing catchers. Armed with that information, for instance, a runner at second base could then relay the signs to the batter. Teams since then have adopted more sophisticated sets of signs, even with no runners on base, to guard against such subterfuge.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Seems the Astros won't avoid losing draft picks. Just hope more teams are revealed using similar tactics to cheat. Patriots have more success to accompany their scandals.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Not sure what to think of this. On one hand, this seems to be a major story and hopefully will further take media attention away from the scandal but on the other hand it's similar enough of a situation where it might remind people of the Astros scandal. And worse, the punishment dealt to the Patriots could potentially worsen the punishment dealt to the Astros so to not "upstage" the MLB. Not sure if that last part is silly but who freakin' knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.