1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Who do you guys think the Red sox start unloading?

2. Nook

Nook Member

wasn’t this all expected? Astros could of signed him before last year and didn’t.

A lot can change. The Astros will make a deal if one can be made.

mikol13, SWTsig, Smacktle and 3 others like this.
  3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's a hell of contract. Cole should put the Yankees over the top. They are loaded.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

It is still wide open.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I’ve heard nothing about Luis Castillo for Correa and Reddick, but if that deal happens it will help the Astros greatly. Castillo and Verlander and Greinke is formidable and Castillo should improve. That also opens up the budget as well.

I can’t see Donaldson being signed because he is likely to get a 4 year deal.

There are other options out there like the Cubs catcher and relievers. That doesn’t take into account the strong upside of Urquidy and Whitley and McCullers returning.

The Astros will be very good regardless but with a little luck they can be the best in baseball again.

6. htownbball

htownbball Member

If Astros trade Correa for Luis Castillo are y'all comfortable starting Toro at 3B and Bregman at SS?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s never good to lose a pitcher like Gerrit Cole. However, the Astros have a very smart general manager and an owner that actually understands baseball, and, more importantly, wants to be a World Series contender every year. The Astros are going to remain contenders as long as Lunhow is in charge.

The Beard, raining threes and Nook like this.
  8. raining threes

Yes

Or Diaz at 3rd.

How about signing a 1B and playing Yuli at 3rd?

mikol13 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’d rather sign Josh Donaldson to a short-term deal, but a platoon of Diaz and Toro at third base could work.

astros123 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. I need to look and see who’s on the market.
    Pipe dream but would be awesome to sign Rendon

raining threes likes this.
  11. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I thought Cole/Boras wanted to test the market after this past season and didn’t want to talk contract. I don’t see why astros wouldn't want extend Cole in the offseason if both side want to get it done.

12. SemisolidSnake

A second World Series win would've made this crappy offseason rather more bearable I must say.

13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

With Luhnow, you have to trust the process. It’s very rarely a good business decision to pay a 29 year old pitcher $324 million over 9 years. It may work out for the Yankees, but history is not on their side. Luhnow is going to continue to draft good prospects and sign good players to good deals. Simple as that. I’m sure he will find a way to field a WS contender next year.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Or we could try and teach Yordan first.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Maybe Gurriel at 3rd, Tucker at 1st, and Yordan in LF during some games could work as well.

16. CinematicFusion

Astros tried to sign Cole and he turned them down according to John McClain. Cole
    Made the right choice, had a great year and got paid huge.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What worries me about Yordan at first is being able to dig out balls in the ground like Yuli does. If we move Yuli we'll be losing a good defensive first baseman.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol at the people who put Astros in their screen name but manage to cry that the sky is falling. We had a feeling Cole was gone during the season and we knew he was gone after Game 7. Did he go to a team that might hurt us down the road? Sure but let’s not kid ourselves that him going to either LA teams wouldn’t have an impact on us either—-regular season or World Series.

Cole did what he should have and I’m not angry over that. Now let’s see what Luhnow can do with a limited payroll. If nothing changes and we bring back rotation of Verlander, Greinke, LMJ, Urquidy, Whitley, etc that’s still one of the best in baseball.

what’s more annoying than a whiny Rockets fan is a spoiled Astros fan

Marteen likes this.
  19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with being upset over this. Not Cole leaving. We all knew that was coming. But the Yankees were the one team I didn't want him going to. They've been our toughest competition in the AL outside of the Red Sox(who are no longer much of a threat). We barely got by them 2 years ago. And we barely got by them this postseason. And that was in large part due to Gerrit Cole.

20. ktex

ktex Member

I don't think that makes you a whiny fan. The reality of Cole leaving just sucks even tho we knew it was coming.

SemisolidSnake likes this.