1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

[Cyberx] (anybody that's good) has been added to the Rockets list.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think trading House would be worth it.

House is younger, much cheaper, doesn't have the big injury history, has been the better shooter/more efficient scorer, turns the ball over less, fouls less. House is better at putting the ball on the floor and driving, better ball handler. RoCo is more like Tucker/Ariza offensively.

Covington is the better defender, but by how much after all his injuries is uncertain. Covington only played a total of 57 games in his two previous seasons.

3. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I ain't falling for it this year. When I read the title of this thread my first thought was Bulls**t.

raining threes and BamBam like this.
  4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This news is more ground breaking than Nene announcing he has no plan to play for the Rockets this season after receiving a call from Melo.

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

What happened to Nene’s salary. A few weeks ago when I check it was worth a few million. I read this thread and checked the Rockets salary and seen he has a 10 million contract. Morey pulled it off. We might be able to get a piece back with Nene Clark, and some draft picks to send away.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i like the idea of having Covington here but i wouldn't give up House for him at this point.

And fwiw i wouldn't give up Capela either, this team needs more lenght not less. Sure, we could get another center to replace Clint but i'd like to know who, cause i don't know how many good ones are out there, we're talking about a starting caliber center who would've to go against guys like Davis, Gobert, Jokic etc...i don't think you can replace a guy like Capela as easy as someone thinks, i read some names i like lately, like Holmes and Noel, but they're smaller then Clint, and there's no guarantee they would be as efficient as him on defense, on the boards and in playing pick & roll with James so...i don't know.

What really sucks is that we couldn't get Butler to come here, in that 3-way deal with Boston seems like we were getting Brandon Clarke, that was a move worth to make, trade Capela and get Butler and Clarke, but trade Capela to get Covington and another bench tier player when we already have House, PJ and Clark sounds kinda meh to me.

jcmoon, Gray_Jay, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not capela's biggest fan by any stretch and even i wouldn't deal him for covington. we still need someone in the paint against the fakers/bucks and even harrell against the clips

Little Bit, jcmoon, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Would be my dream scenario behind Bertāns but don’t expect either to happen.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only way to get him is by Morey genius, and I would never in a million years count that out.

xaos and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hey look a shinny object in the river

ps

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is enough to make me not want him. We do not need an injury prone player.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

2014-15:
    Patrick Beverley - Isaiah Canaan
    James Harden - Jason Terry - Troy Daniels - Nick Johnson
    Trevor Ariza - Francisco García - Kostas Papanikolaou
    Donatas Motiejūnas - Terrence Jones
    Dwight Howard - Clint Capela - Tarik Black - Joey Dorsey

October 27, 2014: Waived Earl Clark, Robert Covington, Ish Smith & Jeff Adrien

Deuce, PrinceH, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Capela plays same position as KAT. Why does Minnesota want him?

Elephant810 and D-rock like this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How about Capela for Covington and Naz Reid and a pick?

Capela in crunch time hasn't been wonderful (so far). Time to cash in on his amazing rebounding this season!

Pros
    Covington - 'nuff said.
    Naz Reid? 6'9 C who can rebound, block shots and stick the triple (36% on 5.6 attempts per game in the GLeague). He's an undrafted rookie, on a rookie scale contract. Probably can't guard the perimeter on switches!
    1st rounder - something we can use to finesse another deal with all those aggregated salaries
    LT$ savings (the deal would shave the payroll by almost $2.7million (Tilman willing to give multiple firsts to make it happen now)

Cons
    Apart from the carcass of Chandler, we would have no size in the paint, and we'd lose the finisher - would it clog up the paint for Harden and Russ to drive?

Harty and Reid are both interesting projects, could one of them take the next step over the next 20-30 games if given playing time?
    Could flip the acquired pick for a "Capela lite" type (Noel?) or go a different way (Bertans?)

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

KAT likes playing the 4.
    It's like AD - he'd be best as a 5 in the NBA today, but doesn't want the responsibility of guarding the ring

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

I disagree with the notion that Capela's production can't just be replicated with any run of the mill center.

Nook likes this.
  17. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

HOT TAKE: House and Ben Mc are better than RoCo

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Maybe if nene’s deal had gone through .

Giving up Clint , unless we had an AMAZING backup play in mind is just asking for our defense to crater .

We gonna play james , pj , and maybe Covington at the 4 and 5 the whole year ? Because those are the only players on the team that have a prayer of guarding anyone over 6’8” maybe even 6’7” haha. Unless you think Hartenstein is gonna step up or Tyson has just been chilling to now being able to give us 20 mpg

I don’t think you can give up PJ . Too much chemistry already built up with harden, can for sure guard 5’s for stretches of times (with Covington it’s hypothetical )

WB I could see if Gordon came back and rivers plays very well , but WB has been good enough when he’s good to convince me that our ceiling is already higher than last years . I don’t think we’ve hit our stride yet. But hey , maybe we are who we are and Covington plus someone else for WB could work .

I somewhat like our talent mixture , is like a wing ... but I think it’s more of a luxury than need (especially for what we’d have to give up )

I think we can make up for our size with some insane guard play . When Gordon comes back we are gonna be able to throw some nasty lineups at people . EG is a hell of a defender ... and with him getting cleaned up he’s gonna be healthy (fingers crossed) .

WB, Gordon , James , House , pj . Or Clint . Or put in rivers for WB . Those 3 combinations will be deadly . I didn’t even name our starting 5 . If Clark starts to pan out then you can use him in the “forward” spot and lean into our depth at guard to give river more time but make james and WB and eg able to play more energy intensive because you have rivers as a backup plan for fouls and you know he can give you a breather. (Keep guards fresh)

I like Hartenstein . I don’t think he’s going to be in the playoff rotation . But he and Clark and maclemore are definitely capable of playing in the reg season.

If you could add the contracts of Hartenstein, Clark , maclemore , Tyson , and thabo (Clemons doesn’t make **** lol) into a guy clearly good enough to be in some of those nasty lineups... then you do it no problem. But if he’s not in the tier above or with house and rivers then I wouldn’t make a move for just a guy who is a bit taller .

HMC are good prospects . On offense , if a guy can shoot it doesn’t matter how tall he is. That is the magic of James harden and the 3 point line . If these guys can play solid rotational defense and make shots they are gonna be great for us in the regular season .

To get to house level , they have to be able to do an additional thing . House has gotten better at driving and passing if they close out on him .

Clark is trying to make rebounding his thing

Speed on the break and some slashing is what Maclemore wants to do

Hartenstein is tricky. We’ve tried to do pick and roll . We should let him try to shoot . He’s not a strong finisher yet , doesn’t have great skills to make a pass like Clint , and isn’t that great of a rebounder if James shoots and he crashes the glass . He sets BIG screens . We ought to let him shoot . Just try it !

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

we're gonna give away more picks arent we?

20. JamalP.

JamalP. Member