1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If I had to guess where the Durham/Barr investigation will differ:

-McCabe adding Trump to the counterintelligence investigation.

It aligns with what Barr’s DOJ has been arguing in court in response to subpoenas to investigate Trump. Barr has incredibly authoritarian views on the power of the presidency and is arguing in court that even if Trump shot someone on 5th Avenue, not only could he not be arrested, he can’t even be investigated.

So I think that’s where Barr/Durham will really hammer home, and pen what McCabe did as purely partisan. Using his bizarre undemocratic views as predicate for some sort of abuse in the process.

mdrowe00 and da_juice like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

You forgot Benghazi and Comet Ping Pong.

3. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

It's looking like someone will be charged for withholding or misleading the FISA court when the warrants were renewed. It'll be interesting to see who that will be. McCabe? Comey? Certainly the lawyer who doctored the emails. I'd be shocked if someone that high up actually did get charged though.

4. dobro1229

People forget that at least now.. in this country Americans still have the right to plead not guilty and prosecutors have to convince 12 jurors that person committed the crimes.

If Barr and Durham convince a grand jury to indict, they have a massively difficult path ahead on a conviction. Guys like McCabe and Comey do not have massive tax fraud, or easily get caught in lies with FBI agents that you can use to put heat on a target in a prosecution.

Then you have the fact that the Justice department at the highest levels have shown EXTREME bias, and that will not go over well with a jury and most judges. The trial will end up being a trial of Trumps twitter feed and Barr’s obvious political machinations.

I think indicting someone like Comey isn’t out of the realm of possibility, but it would be incredibly stupid and massively embarrassing in the end.

The most obvious plot here is to string the investigation out as long as you can and in the end find a way to put this back in Congress where the politics of any Mild wrongdoing can be blown up as a political weapon to fire up Trumps cult base who look for any reason to get whipped up in a frenzy.

Actual indictment of someone like Comey would be incredibly stupid.

B-Bob, mdrowe00, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the investigation was on the up and up he should not have already decided what was coming.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thus, it is 50/50 whether Trump will demand it?

CometsWin and dobro1229 like this.
  7. dobro1229

A last minute revelation of Biden being criminally investigated by Bill Barr would have about 1% of the impact that the re-opening of a criminal investigation on Hillary had by Obama appointed James Comey.

Barr has completely destroyed his credibility at this point. Nobody will take anything coming out of his justice department on Biden seriously. They could indict Biden a week before the election and Biden could still win in a land slide.

I get that now everyone has an opinion of Comey, but at the time when he was serving as FBI Director and especially when Loretta Lynch allowed him final say on prosecutions, Comeys investigation was taken deadly serious by all parties. Even if the origins of the investigation in Congress were 100% partisan. That’s why it had the impact it had in the election. Not just because it was just any old investigation. It was the fact that it was Boy Scout James Comey who was taken seriously.

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hats man... what color hats?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So you heard of John Durham before he was appointed by Trump? I mean, I see he's had a long career as a US Attorney, but I have no familiarity with him to say if he's a straight shooter or not. I saw that someone on twitter said so, but that doesn't make it so.

He is making the same mistake Comey made. Love him or hate him (or both), Comey got himself in a mess when he broke with protocol to announce the investigation was on, then off, then on again, then off again. I can understand if he felt like the FBI's activities were inappropriately impacting the election, but everything he did to to make it better just ended up making it worse. That was a lesson to take to heart. As frustrating as the Mueller investigation was, I still appreciate that he at least kept the chatter down. Aside from his good or bad motivations to comment here, I'm disappointed the discipline to keep one's mouth shut has not endured.

Probably no legal action is taken, imo.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone should be happy that the FBI did not commit wrongdoing. Sometimes you must cut a few corners when you elect a russian asset as president. They did what they had to do given the circumstances. Mueller failed in pinning trump down. Thankfully schiff and co are on the right track with ukraine.

11. dmoneybangbang

Comey is a republican.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can tell you've never worked in a profession that requires an immense amount of documentation.

If anyone did oversight over every type of legal documentation or in my experience engineering technical documentation such as engineering drawings with enough scrutiny, the oversight will always find a plethora of errors. The issue is if those errors are trivial honest mistakes due to laziness or neferious with intent to push a narrative.

From the IG report, it seems like the errors were trivial clerical errors that wasn't based in a motive to start a investigation based on false pretenses.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

14. dmoneybangbang

Considering Trump and his campaign did have contact and information sharing with Russian linked associates, seems like the FBI did their job.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hope! Keep it alive.

B-Bob and Andre0087 like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... lets see, someone that graduated c*m laude from Princeton, received the Fullbright scholarship, Yale Law, former clerk for Appeals Judge, former FBI agent (specializing in counter intelligence), former associate Dean of Yale law school, and former professor of law at Yale (specializing in constitutional law).

Or... trump's assistant PR guy. What... sean davis was busy?

Wow... tough, tough decision...

No Worries, B-Bob and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Don't forget to text TRUMP to 88022.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No Worries likes this.
  20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

A crook with a crooked beard, say it ain't so.