1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denied: Rockets lose protest of Spurs game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

Interesting.

According to the official NBA statement on the protest denial, Adam Silver ruled that their was "sufficient" time for the Rockets to overcome a rules misapplication by NBA officials at the game and the Replay center and that therefore the protest was denied.

Can you give me a rule or page number in the NBA Official rules that explains where "sufficient time left to overcome a rules violation" is considered in an official protest? How much time is considered "sufficient"? Why is overtime included in that determination of sufficiency? What page is that on?

There are many more questions that could be asked about this application of the rules by the Commissioner.

Richie_Rich, Nook, BigMaloe and 7 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does the NBA Official Rules provide any guidelines on when a game protest will be accepted? I think it doesn't. All we have to go by is precedent.

What is the history of game protests from the past that were declined? Does anyone know?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That issue in mint condition could pay for Tilman's protest fee. lol.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How unwhiny of you, message board poster complaining while hiding behind an anonymous screen name.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Sufficient time to overcome the error": wait, they're judging the abilities of the teams as well as the amount of time in the game. What if we were the Knicks: still "sufficient time"? This is doubly subjective.

#106 sirbaihu, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

To say it was “fair” decision is ignorant. But you don’t care because it fits your persona. Carry on.

34to11 likes this.
  8. durvasa

Well, you're singling me out and making it about my "persona", when several people in this thread have expressed that they're OK with the ruling. Maybe you should consider that people can have differing opinions on what is fair in this situation, and it has nothing to do with ignorance.

9. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Because for a mostly intelligent poster that usually talks facts you claim it was a fair decision. Are we all not aware how bias this decision was? Opinions are not facts, they’re based on emotions which in this case are ignorant. The fact is the NBA ruled a made basket wasn’t, then they compounded it by shrugging their shoulders. Let’s look back in May when one game can change a teams fortune. Will that be fair?

10. 34to11

34to11 Member

11. omgTHEpotential

Or better yet, police saying the victim had plenty of time to recover the money themselves before the police arrived.

Richie_Rich, Nook, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  12. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Not exactly sure what can materialize from "will take steps to avoid something like from happening". It's literally... see the basket go in, count it. This ruling is fair but severely lacking... specifically, not stating that they will not issue any correction to the score. The reason they can't state anything remotely close to correcting the score is because it inevitably would lead to either a win for the Rockets or a replay in some form. While fair, I grade it as such: C-.

There were so many other possibilities, and their take on having ample occasions to take back the W is insanely biased. How about give the players credit for not losing it in regulation and tying it up in both OTs.

I'll state this again... if the Rockets had won this game, the league would have issued a correction to the final score awarding the Rockets the lost 2 points. The outcome is entirely irrelevant, and their public statement is a perfect example of a straw man argument that wins.

bro2044 likes this.
  13. jogo

jogo Member

I just don't understand why they changed the score when Manu protested after a wrongly scored bucket. Someone posted the video after this NBA screwjob. This happened to the Spurs a few years ago. The game was stopped, they complained, it was reviewed and the correction was made. Why didn't that happen in our game? We even called a timeout, issued a challenge, or whatever but the refs were still unable to fix the problem?

14. TheresTheDagger

How do you define fair?

Who is responsible for taking points off the board? The officials and the NBA.
    Ultimately, who was punished for the situation? The Rockets.

Can't speak for you, but in my world this doesn't even begin to define "fairness".

Richie_Rich, Nook and 34to11 like this.
  15. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Also, anyone else get the feeling the refs will just take it out on the Rockets as a collective? Also, based on their statement, the league stating they were investigating the missed basket comes off more as an issued charade to bait us to filing a protest. Nothing would have come from their self-initiated investigation minus a formal protest. The reason I think this is that majority of their statement references a protest that based on the fact that we should have won, not so much the handling of the matter or any implications on the final score.

16. durvasa

You are talking about facts, yet you're making a claim here that is not based on facts but rather speculation. You are claiming (I think) that if this situation occurred with a team other than the Rockets, the NBA would have stepped in and allowed 7:50 minutes of regulation to be replayed. Even though the team that lost still had like a 95% probability of winning it and couldn't get it done. What is the precedence for this?

Yes, it is a fact that the NBA officials messed up, and it could have cost us this game. It was an egregious error. But deciding what counts as fair is, in the end, a judgment call that is necessarily subjective. You can't get an ought from an is, as they say. I can run through arguments on why permitting replay here could be considered unfair, but I know you're not interested in hearing them so I won't bother.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA & their refs are corrupt. That's all.
    And not a damn thing will be done.

Might as well put that **** in their bullshit 2 minute report and save everyone time/money.
    **At the 7:50 mark, Harden made a basket that we didn't count. We're sorry (not sorry.) We'll try to be better next time (but we'll probably screw up again).

Nook and RocketsFan247 like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHale ripping the NBA a new one on the NBATV pregame show lol

Richie_Rich, bro2044 and Patience like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

y’all ain’t seen nothing yet...just wait until the playoffs

if we face the Lakers or Clippers that’s an automatic 5 on 8

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree completely. Being impartial and being devil's advocate are not the same thing.