1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Turkey Leg Hut vs It's Neighbours

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 7, 2019.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

Been a couple of times the food is really good and the crowd is right for singles .

Buck Turgidson and pgabriel like this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Never been myself and dont have a dog in this fight nut they are a nice story. Dont know what dachuda86 saw but the pictures I've seen look awesome.

The wife played bball at UofH

3. Senator

Senator Member

Neighborhood? that is an incredibly crowded major street next to a major intersection. It is a 100% commercial area.

If you go a few blocks left or right you will find residences with heavily tree lined streets, but there is a proximity difference. Not a comparable situation at all and shows lack of nuance on your part. Maybe you are intentionall y race baiting instead of being honest with yourself?

Turkey leg hut is on the exact same street and block as a large swathe of residential homes. It hurts disenfranchised communities when those who do get successful play the race card when it does not apply. The black and asian residents who lived there previously and are complaining are being straight forward and within their rights. Turkey has a huge following and plenty of options for new locations - use them.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The crowd bothers me when I drive up and down Almeda because I'm in a hurry to get domewherex but they arent roudy or "blasting rap music". They are adults between 30 and 60 looking for parking that doesn't exist and shambling back to the parking they found by walking in the street after eating a huge meal with friends and family. The crowd isnt smoking crack or pimping or rolling dice in the alley. They are normal human adults going out to dinner, not some 1950s cartoon racist fever dream.

The people filing this lawsuit probably never drive down Almeda because it is to their East, and the only thing to the east is the Third Ward. I doubt the people actually bother them very much at all. Probably some parking issues but that is hardly new. As has been pointed out there are clubs that have operated on that street for years as and I don't think any of them have been sued.

But genuinely the real issue is the issue named in the lawsuit - all the smoke those ovens are pumping out to feed those people. There is no need to seek deeper motivations. I drive down the street on a Saturday night now and for five minutes the smoke in the air is noticibly heavy to me. Hours and hours of that day after day would probably suck.

pgabriel, joshuaao and Rashmon like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

There is literally not a single residence on Almeda between Wheeler and Benz.

pgabriel likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Almeda is a major thoroughfare. Arent you from Houston? If turns into a hwy and goes damn near to the gulf

Same as Kirby. Residences and businesses including restaurants

Edit: i dont know what you're talking about im race baiting. I already said i don't have a dog in the fight.. The issue is the crowds. Ivve said that jerk.

You made a racist post claiming the crowds are rowdu when the article talks about this restaurant's nationwide popularity unlike your stupid ass fish market analogy and you claim im race baiting. I admit black people love the place but the issue is the crowds. Even the black people who love it extra cause its black understand the issue is the crowds

A restaurant on a major thoroughfare with other restaurants shouldn't be forced to move because of popularity

Edit again. Reread. ottomaton's post and i guess the issue is the smoke. I don't why you would be a jerk and say im race baiting when i said they apparently are trying to fix it

You have racial hang ups

#26 pgabriel, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when they were deciding on the name for their restaurant.

“Smoked Turkey Palace.” No

“Turkey and more.” No

“Turkey Leg Kingdom.” No

“Whataturkey.” No

“Smoking Turkey Volcano.” No

Let’s just call it “Turkey Leg Hut.” Perfect!

Exiled likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

"Tommy Chan's Turkey and Rice"

9. body slam

body slam Member

If you see the story on tv news the smoke does seem to be a legit problem. I know I would be upset if I had to put up with it every day.

Ubiquitin and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude this post is causing reality to fold in on itself.

Senator accusing PG of race baiting.

The 2 most race baiting posters in the D&D.

With that said PG did nothing wrong in this thread.

mdrowe00, Buck Turgidson and pgabriel like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

:eek:

#31 jiggyfly, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that's quite right. I lived in Third Ward for 12 years (the black side of 288), up to about 5 years ago. We traditionally understood the western boundary as being Almeda. However, it is a pretty narrow slice of land there between Almeda and 288, and with the gentrification in Midtown on down to the Museum District, it seems to have the effect of claiming Almeda as well. Witness the phenomenon of Axelrad Beer Garden a little further north up the road. I don't doubt that it is the smoke that's problematic though. There's plenty of other black community establishments on that road that haven't caused any friction with the residents further west.

pgabriel likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When i race bait im usually being critical of blacks because i really think we as blacks have reached a limit on government help and at some point internal issues have to be addressed. I stick to that theme overall.

One thing about the Turkey Leg Hut, its nice to a black business be successful as well as the rest of the black businesses on Almeda.

#33 pgabriel, Dec 9, 2019
  14. Exiled

Exiled Member

the poor bird's given name itself was created maybe for the taunting purpose .

English speakers call it :Turkey
    Arab call it : Roman
    Turks call it : Hindi (Indian)

the restaurant possibly are burning some additional cooking oil to increase the flavoring of smoked BBQ which also create some massive smoke clouds

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Maybe you are right. I was using Google Maps to show boundaries which demarcates it at 288, but looking around, it seems there is more than a little disagreement about what the actual boundaries are. Wikipedia has a 1913 map, and though Almeda continues south, literally no streets come into contact with Almeda south of Wheeler - its all just open country. It marks the center of the 3rd Ward, but doesn't mark historic boundaries. In the Wikipedia article, they quote some guy saying it extends all the way to South Main, which seems a little extreme,but maybe there are a bunch of people I don't know who think that way. They have a map from the 20's that uses that South Main border, and includes most of Downtown as well as the Medical Center with a much larger area, but I don't really think too many people would consider that the current the Third Ward.

[​IMG]

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

#36 pgabriel, Dec 9, 2019
  17. da_juice

da_juice Member

As someone who has never been to Houston and doesn't understand zoning, none of this means anything to me and I'm only reading it because I have terrible insomnia.

Now it's nearly 3:30 AM eastern time and all I want is a that $24 cajun crawfish mac and cheese stuffed turkey leg I see on their website. Holy **** that looks like its well worth the acid reflux and itis I'd surely have afterwards

18. Senator

Senator Member

Are you drunk?
    Abor and Rosedale are tree lined residential streets -half of it not even gentrified. Google maps is your friend if you're too lazy to visit.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That sound delicious.

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member