1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Broncos @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 3, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its one and the same with this special horse.

2. likestohypeguy

King1 and DonkeyMagic like this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

claaaaasssic texans' let down game.

LabMouse and eliefor3 like this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We let go too many good defensive players thinking it won't matter with Watson. We have always had a sub par secondary. We let Bouye go, Honey Badger Jackson, and expect miracles? We let Clowney go and hope injury ridden Watt will stay healthy? We rolled the dice and lost. Without Clowney and Watt we are a shell of a defense.

Who knows about the offense. So up and down. I can't ever see if Watson is just afraid to throw to anyone covered or what. I can't ever see all the receivers from the horrible tv view. I don't know how it can all be on O'Brien. Sometimes it seems he just holds on to the ball too long. I know O'Brien is the coach but doesn't Watson have any options to choose from? I don't see how our offense can look so good and then so bad. We shouldn't look that bad just because Fuller is out but we usually do. Yesterday was even worse than the Baltimore loss to me, because we should be better than that.

#604 deb4rockets, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  5. SuraGotMadHops

There's a lot of things I'm still confused about yesterday's game, but the one that still baffles the hell out of me is BOB calling all of his timeouts at the end of the first half with the Broncos threatening in the RED ZONE. Then...you get the ball back after giving up a TD and you have no timeouts left to do anything down the field. Can someone explain to me what it is i'm not getting?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Mattician

Mattician Member

Just a terrible loss. I don't know what to say.

The Texans' continue to have no success in the first quarter. Bill O'Brien scripts the first 15-20 plays, right? Whatever he's calling obviously hasn't been working all season.

#606 Mattician, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Uprising, King1 and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

my biggest beef with Bill is that it seems like he wants Watson to be a pocket QB. I think we start off slow bc the beginning of the game is when Watson has the least opportunity to improvise. Watson doesn't have to run to be effective but he does need to be moving in the pocket with the threat to run I think in order to be at his maximum success

8. plates300

plates300 Member

So frustrating...Texans finally have a legit franchise quarterback and the danged head coach can't figure out how to use him correctly. Imagine if Kubiak had Watson in his offense - it would be unstoppable like the 49ers are right now. Subpar preparation from all the coaches.

Uprising, RayRay10 and desihooper like this.
  9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Imagine the naked bootlegs with Watson rolling out instead of Schaub.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And all those TEs too!!

Uprising likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, it's on the players. They have to go out there and play and execute.
    The rest? They've given him everything.
    He's the GM. He's the HC. He's the OC. He hires the coordinators/position coaches, fires the coordinators. What doesn't he have control of?

...and they had lil baby Shanahan in house.

[​IMG]

HC Kyle Shanahan

Shanahan spent four seasons (2006-09) with the Houston Texans, including the final two as the team’s offensive coordinator. In 2009, he worked with QB Matt Schaub, who registered career highs in completions (396), completion percentage (67.9), passing yards (4,770), touchdowns (29) and passer rating (98.6). His completions and passing yard totals led the NFL that season. Additionally, WR Andre Johnson led the NFL in receiving yards in both 2008 (1,575) and 2009 (1,569) and led the NFL with 115 receptions in 2008. TE Owen Daniels registered career highs in both receptions (70) and receiving yards (862) with Houston in 2008. Shanahan spent his first season with Houston (2006) as the team’s wide receivers coach and moved to coach the quarterbacks in 2007 prior to his promotion to offensive coordinator in 2008.

DC Robert Saleh

Saleh spent six seasons with the Houston Texans, serving as a coaching intern (2005), defensive assistant (2006-08) and assistant linebackers coach (2009-10). In Houston, Saleh oversaw the growth of the Texans linebackers, including AP Defensive Rookie of the Year performances by DeMeco Ryans (2006) and Brian Cushing (2009). In 2009, the Pro Bowl duo of Ryans and Cushing were the only teammates to both rank among the league’s top 10 tacklers, according to Gamebook Statistics. Saleh joined the Texans after three seasons working in the collegiate ranks.

ST Richard Hightower

From 2006-08, Hightower was on Houston’s coaching staff as a coaching assistant (2006-07) before being elevated to special teams assistant (2008). In Houston, he served under widely respected then-special teams coordinator Joe Marciano, who had more than 30 years of experience coaching special teams at the time. In 2008, Houston was 11th in the NFL in kickoff coverage (22.3 yards per return). Punt returner Jacoby Jones finished fifth in the NFL and second in Texans single-season annals with a 12.1 average, including a franchise single-season record two punt return touchdowns. Kicker Kris Brown set franchise records for points (124), field goals made (29) and field goal percentage (87.9). In 2007, the kickoff return unit featuring Jerome Mathis and Andre Davis became only the fourth team in NFL history to score four touchdowns on kickoff returns in a single season.

OL John Benton

Benton served as the offensive line coach for the Houston Texans for eight seasons (2006-13). With the Texans, Benton’s offensive line was instrumental in establishing one of the NFL’s top-ranked offensive attacks, setting franchise marks for rushing yards (2,448) in 2011, and passing yards (4,654) and total offense (6,129 yards) in 2009. Behind All-Pro T Duane Brown and All-Pro C Chris Myers, Houston’s offensive line helped All-Pro RB Arian Foster become the 13th fastest player in NFL history to reach 5,000 career rushing yards. Additionally, Foster registered three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons (2010-12) and a franchise-record 25 career 100-yard rushing games.

In 2012, Benton’s offensive line anchored Houston’s third consecutive 2,000-yard rushing season as Foster led the NFL with 15 rushing touchdowns. Foster surpassed the 1,000-yard mark for the third consecutive season behind the play of Myers and Brown. Houston’s offense ranked seventh in yards per game (372.1) and eighth in points per game (26.0) while allowing 28 sacks, the fourth fewest in the AFC.

The Texans offensive line helped pave the way for a franchise record 2,448 rushing yards in 2011. Excelling in the playoffs, the Houston run game averaged 159.5 yards per game in helping the Texans reach the Divisional round. For the first time in franchise history, the Texans had two players eclipse 900 rushing yards in the same season as Foster recorded 1,224 yards and RB Ben Tate notched 942 yards on the ground. Both Foster and Tate rushed for 100-or-more yards in the same game twice during the 2010 season, making Houston just the sixth team since 1985 to accomplish the feat. In Benton’s system, Myers was selected to his first Pro Bowl while Brown was selected as a Second-Team All-Pro by the Associated Press.

Benton’s unit paved the way for another record-setting season for Houston’s offense in 2010. The Texans ranked third in the NFL with a franchise-record 6,186 yards of offense (386.6 yards per game) and helped Foster lead the NFL in rushing yards (1,616) and total touchdowns (18; 16 rushing, two receiving), each setting a new single-season franchise record.

In 2009, the line provided protection for the NFL’s passing leader, QB Matt Schaub, who threw for 4,770 yards and 29 touchdowns. The offense ranked fourth in the NFL with an average 383.1 yards per game. The passing attack led the NFL with 290.9 yards per game while Benton’s offensive line group gave up the fifth-fewest sacks in the league (25).

Benton’s line featured the same starting lineup for all 16 games, a first in Texans history, in 2008. The offensive line paved the way for rookie running back Steve Slaton to set a then-franchise record with 1,282 rushing yards, while the offense ranked third in the NFL with 6,113 total yards.In 2007, Benton’s offensive line group allowed 22 sacks, the lowest total allowed in franchise history. In his first season in Houston, Benton oversaw an offensive line that surrendered 25 fewer sacks (43) than in 2005 (68).

OLBs Johnny Holland

Holland served as linebackers coach for five seasons (2006-10) with the Houston Texans. Under Holland’s tutelage, LB DeMeco Ryan (2006) and LB Brian Cushing (2009) each earned Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year honors. In 2009, Cushing registered 133 tackles, according to Gamebook Statistics, four sacks and four interceptions as the Texans reached nine wins, the highest total in franchise history at the time. In 2006, Ryan finished with 156 tackles, according to Gamebook Statistics, the most by an NFL rookie in 20 years.

ILBs DeMeco Ryans

WRs Wes Welker

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Matt Schaub ran that naked bootleg well cause he had arian foster.

Kubiak had a better team around schaub. Better line. Better secondary. Young Watt. Cushing

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, Kubiak was much better at building a roster. An he didn't even trade multiple high picks to do it

CometsWin, arkoe and deb4rockets like this.
  14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. I know a lot of their success was through the tight end, but Roby only out there for 75% of snaps?

OB was asked about it today in the presser and just gave a non answer like 'we have several good players we want to get out there'

GradyMcTracy likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Until the defense knows exactly when its coming and Kubiak fails to generate a plan B (which was the hallmark of his offenses as the season went on). The Shannahan's/Kubiak system relies on excellent skill players with talent and excellent execution from the line (who also has talent). Its literally a mindset of "we're going to run this, just try and stop it." Its successful... till it gets stopped.

But I'm not surprised of the shorter memory some have regarding the height of the Kubiak era. There were let-down games in 2011 and 2012... probably more damaging in hindsight given how good those teams were in Reliant.

But its clear that the ENTIRE team was complacent yesterday going in... just totally unprepared to play. Teams that have to flip a switch don't win in any league.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not even the RB necessarily... its the entire line that sells it.

Like I said in the post above, when its executed to perfection... its nearly unstoppable... till a team spends a week+ literally on every iteration of it to try and stop it.

pgabriel likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Texans defense did not take Lock seriously whatsoever. They did not respect Denver's passing game. They didn't prepare adequately and was caught blindsided.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have tremendous respect for analyst John Harris. I wrote earlier he was loving Lock on channel 13's Extra Points Saturday night. If this guy lives up to yesterday, Denver's right back as an upper tier AFC team. He has natural ability

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

"...at least we don't have the keys in the ignition headed for the golf course in 3 weeks. We have a chance."

LOL

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Rick Smith Built that roster. Not Kubiak.