1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We seriously don't need this distraction during the season.

I'm a fan of Mike, despite being initially against the hire. He's won me over. I've defended posters wanting to fire him the last couple of years. I am not necessarily opposed to getting a new coach, that's no big deal. As long as it didn't happen in season, I'm fine with it.

The question is what candidates out there seem like a good fit that would actually come and maybe push us over the top. I don't want an old school coach, so hopefully we stay away from the Lionel Hollins, JVGs, Tom Thibodeous of the world.

Which coach out there can you insert that is ready to guide our veteran team to a championship. Is there a Nick Nurse out there?

I would hate to mess with the formula. Mike's playoff coaching may be iffy, but ultimately we have been pretty damn successful short of winning a championship.

smp, clutchdabear, GotGame15 and 5 others like this.
  2. ApuN

ApuN Member

All of this...
    Its so obvious its crazy

The problem is that so many here haven't experienced first hand, the type of coaching and mentality that it it takes day-in-day-out it takes to win a championship.

I was fortunate enough to see that in '94-'95

I cant think of any coach that we've faced in the playoffs since hes been here that I wouldn't pick over MDA - he's that much of a coaching schlub

If these guys used some logic here they could see, MDA ain't that guy and he is really far from it.

BackNthDay likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wait . . . you played for the Rockets during the championship years???

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. macan

macan Member

think MDA would return only if we win the ship this year

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ty Lue is an idiot. part of me wishes he was the coach so I could bump terrible posts like this. Then i think on the other hand the rockets would be absolute misery with him at the helm. but maybe some of you will get what you wanted. then you'll be right back here talking about why tf is so and so the coach now

clutchdabear, Nook, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

To add on, MDA is determined to make his small ball lineup work, because in his mind they may score 2s but we will score 3s. Come on MDA the Laker's will murder us if you put PJ on Unibrow...

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't think MDA is a championship-caliber coach, but I agree - it's easy to do a lot worse than MDA.

smp likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Messina the messiah

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Finally, you are not winning jackshit with this type of basketball. Morey will just bring in another puppet to run his offense

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hey it's the Mike. Button.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

It is like saysing Russell Westbrook will not extend his contract after '22-'23 season with Rockets. If D'Antoni says he will not return that is news.

13. Nivos

Nivos Member

All aboard on the Shane train!

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or if the D'Antoni-led Rockets win the NBA championship in 2020 and D'Antoni says FU I'm going back to the Knicks next season, that would be news

15. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

I’d take David Fizdale.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing regarding MDA is news to me, other than his team playing stifling defense, allowing Offenses just to score under 103 consistently, and the team not scoring over 105 itself for the entire season with Harden playing and not being injured.

That is news.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

fify
    [​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. smp

smp Member

It is dumbing it down for sure. What has MDA done that McHale didn’t which makes you want to keep him and sign an extension?

The end result is that we changed coaches, had similar talent level, and got to the same ceiling. I’m ok with the risk of trying to upgrade knowing there is a very real possibility you might downgrade instead.

I liken this to the choice GS made by letting Jackson go for Kerr. Jackson wasn’t a bad coach but it was time to give someone else a shot. It was a risk but it paid off. I would absolutely take the risk if MDA doesn’t take us to the finals this year.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

MDA invented the modern NBA offense. Sad he doesn't get more credit for it.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I’m tired of all the drama surrounding this team.

rockets11206 and BaselineFade like this.