1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

heel spur

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Dec 7, 2019.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Two years ago I was having foot pain. I assumed it was bad shoes. Got a different pair the pain went away. Now over the past year the same problem. Switched shoes several times and still have pain. Finally went to the doctor. He said I have have a heel spur. The tendon is inflamed causing the pain. Told me to stretch it, Ice it, and soak it. Surgery is the last resort. He sold me some inserts. And said its a long process and will take several month to get over. I'm thinking about going to the Good Feet Store.

If anyone that has any advise it is appreciated.

The questions I have is with stretch it, Ice it, and soak it. Which order should I do it and how long should I wait between them?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Pics or gtfo

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

First of all, I did not insert a pic of Manu Ginobili here.
    Secondly, you probably should ask that doctor/a podiatrist that question.
    Thirdly, I had the same problem and simply stretched it whenever I thought to do it and it helped, but occasionally comes back. I asked a doctor about it and he thought it was plantar fasciitis (which didn't make sense to me). I've never consulted another doctor about it, but maybe I should since I think the first doctor was a dork.

Xerobull and body slam like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I had plantar fasciitis in my right foot from constant hooping about a year ago...it was pretty painful, especially in the morning when getting out of bed...there was a sharp, stabbing pain when I would walk

I did this every day to get rid of it

1) 2 minutes of calf raises
    2) 30 second hamstring stretch (touching your toes)
    3) 30 second calf stretch for each leg

[​IMG]

4) 30 second quad stretch for each leg

[​IMG]

then on to foam rolling

1) 10 reps for each calf

2) 10 reps for the quads

I also had a little ball that I would roll my affected foot on for 2 minutes

all this would take a little over 10 minutes give or take...I did most of this in the morning and at night (foam roll I only did in the morning as well as after hooping)

I also switched to Adidas shoes with their Boost tech which is quite comfortable (was primarily hooping in Kobe’s previously and Nike running shoes when walking my dogs)...for things like dress shoes I inserted insoles

Idk how much of this you’ll find helpful, but just wanted to show u the sort of stuff I did...the goal was to strengthen my calves and thighs as well as prevent them from getting tight

I’m trying to age like Vince Carter

edit: I also soaked my feet in epsom salt once or twice a week (disclaimer: epsom salt shouldn’t be used if you’re diabetic)

#4 Reeko, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    FrontRunner, body slam and Xerobull like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Not the same thing but i had plantar fasciitis. Doc told me to roll a frozen water bottle on the bottom of my foot first thing in the morning for about 5 minutes. It took awhile but havent had issues since.

body slam likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Not to hijack, but since we're talking feet...

Anyone had a bunion removed? What's the procedure and recovery like?

7. body slam

body slam Member

Doc has me doing the calf stretch against the wall and rolling the frozen water bottle under my foot.

My biggest problem has been trying to find a decent pair of work shoes. I need steel toe and there are not a lot of options.

8. body slam

body slam Member

what kind of foam roller?

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

body slam likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Nobody?

11. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

It really depends what type of bunion you have. If you have a mild one, the procedure is minimal and you're walking in a surgical shoe right after surgery and normal shoes in a couple weeks. If you have more of a severe one, could require a more involved procedure to prevent recurrence and that will have you off your foot for a couple months (cast initially, transition to a walking boot). A lot depends on what the x-rays look like and the physical exam findings (if it's rigid vs flexible) to determine which type of procedure would be best for you. They range from simply shaving bone off and releasing tight ligaments/muscles, making bone cuts to shift bone over and fixating with screws, or fusing 2 bones together with plate/screws.

Buck Turgidson and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Thanks.

Well this all sounds terrible.

What's the problem with waiting on surgery? Just that it embiggens itself? Just FYI it's the size of a large marble..doesn't hurt but is noticable when I'm hiking up and down hills (this is how I got it)

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've had plantar fascitis several times and it really sucks. It's gotten so bad at times I've had to use crutches. I thought it might've been a bone spur but when they X-rayed it didn't see any spurs. The symptoms are very similar so I sympathize with the OP.

body slam likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a bunionectomy last December, a couple weeks before Christmas. I did it mainly because my bunion prevented me from wearing many types of shoes. After waking up from the procedure I was given a hard based walking shoe to strap my foot in, to prevent bumping my toe against anything. I insisted on having crutches, even though the doctor seemed to think it wasn't necessary.

The recovery will probably be different for everyone, but mine was slow and painful. The worst part was keeping the foot elevated as much as possible. Just keeping it down for a little while caused more swelling.

I hated trying to sleep on my back with my foot elevated on a pillow. I had to limit the pain pills, so I could take one in middle of the night when the throbbing became too much to endure. It was hard to sleep at times even taking medication because the throbbing would come back. I hated having to go through the process of strapping my foot in that shoe anytime I got out of bed or out of a chair.

Eventually I was able to sleep without taking the pain pills, but was off my feet for weeks. Even though the doctor insisted on me buying a big wide tennis shoe to fit my swollen foot in to walk, sooner than I wanted to, I still used crutches to get around a lot. It was faster than walking gingerly.

Even in March, about 3 months after the surgery, my foot would still swell if down too long. I rode a bus for a few hours from San Jose to Punta Uva in Costa Rica and my foot was swollen. I wore strap sandals, because even the straps on my flip flops and sandals were too tight, if they weren't adjustable.

I still had to elevate my foot at night after walking to the beach and hanging out around the area. It still swelled even in March.

Now I don't have that bump sticking out, and my foot looks better, and shoes are more comfy. The downside is that the whole process was pretty grueling, and kept me from doing anything for a long time. My big toe doesn't feel the same now when I bend it. It still feels stiff, and not great.

It might go easier for you, but it might not. Who knows. All I do know is that it might not be worth going through all that. Only you can decide.

Here's what my foot looked like after 3 or 4 weeks. I don't know exactly, but it was somewhere around that period of time.

20190108_094655.jpg

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Sorry for the late response. If it doesn't hurt, I'd definitely hold off on surgery, would recommend considering it only if ever starts to. It'll potentially become more prominent over time or stay the same. There are various bunion shields/sleeves you can buy OTC or on Amazon that may lessen the discomfort/irritation but it won't fix the issue or prevent progression. Definitely don't wear tight shoes around the front to prevent from exacerbating it faster.

Buck Turgidson likes this.