1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets to file protest of loss to Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is almost like the pass interference non-call that cost the Saints the game, except that the Saints got eliminated.

What did the NFL do? Say "I'm really sorry!" -- and changed some rules.

2. omgTHEpotential

Literally millions of people saw the ball go through the hoop. I don't know what proof they need, they have the footage. Are they calling millions of NBA fans who witnessed this delusional?

CCity Zero, BigMaloe, amaru and 5 others like this.
  3. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

They have already been doing that the last 3 years in a row.

juanm34 and vlaurelio like this.
  4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It’s tough right now. A bunch of media people really hate the Rockets and it influences the talk surrounding the team.

napalm06, DreamShook and RayRay10 like this.
  5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

If they did overturn it and replay it we might as well be ready for the Brothers to ref the next game back at SA. It will most likely cause another loss and the same outcome of the replayed game.

HTown_TMac likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

“There are calls that are missed for both teams all through every game,” coach Gregg Popovich said before Friday’s game. “And players miss shots and coaches make bad decisions, and you move on. There is never one play you can single out and say, that’s the most important thing in the game and that’s why we won or that’s why we lost. Things happen all throughout the game.”

The Rockets cited a “misapplication of rules” in filing the protest, a source said. The protest also reportedly claimed subsequent errors by the officials in failing to grant a coach’s challenge, though the primary argument is with points not being awarded after a made basket.

Asked after shootaround Friday morning if he had any reaction to the protest, guard Derrick White offered a take similar to what Popovich said later in the day.

“There are mistakes throughout the whole game,” White said. “Move on to the next one.”

Asked if he had a reaction to the protest, guard Patty Mills said, “None, actually. I’ve been swamped this morning with the Sacramento Kings, to be honest.”

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

All these "miscalls are part of the game" sentiment is totally missing the point, and very shortsighted. This is NOT just a normal miscall, which usually involved a misjudgment of officials on the spot. This is an unusual situation for three reasons:

1. It is not a judgment call. It is a factual error.
    2. It involves a procedural mistake by not granting the challenge.
    3. It is extremely embarrassing to the league officials.

If I were the Spurs, I wouldn't dismiss it like that. I would say something like "It's an unfortunate situation even though it benefited us. Let's see what the league does about it." Every team, including the Spurs, should support the protest because if you encourage the culture of sweeping blatant wrongness under the rug, then someday it will come back to hurt your team. And it might not be just a regular season game. Not to mention it hurts the credibility of the league and ultimately hurt its popularity.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who gives a **** what the Spurs think? Spurs are an uninteresting franchise in a state of limbo. When Patty Mills said he was swamped with the Kings, he couldn't have been more accurate. A small market future for the Spurs could look a lot like Sacramento unless they start finding HOF players outside the lottery again.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The media is really missing the point. As usual. It doesn’t matter how big of a lead the Rockets blew or how many missed calls the refs usually have in a game. Its about a unique circumstance where a basket that was made, didn’t count. Telling the Rockets to get over it or hating on them for challenging the game is short sighted and weird. It’s not in the best interest of anybody except arguably the Spurs.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Spurs should tank n rebuild. It's in their best interest to lose.

BigM likes this.
  11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Short of miscalling shots at the buzzer I can't think of a made bucket just being waved off ever.

D-rock likes this.
  12. JackLordsHair66

All great points, but we all know the League isn’t going to do a damn thing about it which is disgusting. For Pop to be so blasé about this is bullshit he wouldn’t be that way if it had gone the other way I’m betting.

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The Spurs are right. This is not and should not get reversed.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. TimV

TimV Member

I can think of tens of thousands of times a made bucket gets called off - continuation fouls, offensive goaltending, charges, traveling calls, etc. Like this call, those involve judgement calls. In real time, the call didn’t look unreasonable from the angle the refs would have seen it. The only problem is that it should have been corrected by replay.

I just don’t think the NBA wants to get into the business of replaying the ends of games unless the call was particularly egregious and occurred in the last few minutes of the game.

arkoe likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Spurs didn't say it shouldn't be reversed. They used a bunch of deflection and fallacy. Just like everyone else saying it doesn't matter. No amount of bad calls makes this call more correct. This whole situation is a good critical thinking lesson for the damn NBA and fans.

The league screwed up on the most black and white part of the game and it's them who shouldnt be moving on, it's them who needs to solve this conundrum, and it's them who should be receiving the hate. End of story.

Fansince80 and Easy like this.
  16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

On a cleanly made bucket with no other considerations though?

17. amaru

amaru Member

Don’t really care if it gets revered but the NBA doesn’t just need to “move on”. They need to take steps to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Does it really matter what the Spurs think?

What do we expect them to say? "Oh yeah, we definitely should have lost that game, the Rockets technically had two more points than us at the end of regulation."

Lol.

Who gives a **** what the Spurs think.

The Rockets have great evidence that the outcome of the game was affected by not counting those two miss points. The game was tied at the end of regulation, the Rockets were not awarded a basket that went in. End of story.

I posted this in another thread that unfortunately died after I posted. I'll post here again.
    ---------------------------

So let's ignore the refs not applying the rules correctly or the missed calls (playing to both sides here).

There have been instances in the past where the league automatically deducts an assists or a rebound or even a point when things were incorrectly done. I am talking after the game, the next day, when someone thought they had a triple double but then it's erased once the league went back and looked.

Why has James Harden's two points not been given to him, thus correcting the score which would mean the game should not have gone to overtime? It's really that simple.

Here is one example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nb...-lebrons-stats-costing-him-triple-double/amp/

Does this no longer happen?

BigMaloe, napalm06, juanm34 and 3 others like this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with my homies on CF’s who want this flagrant misuse of power by the refs to be looked at and hopefully (and correctly) overturned! If they allow this to stand then you know that the league truly isn’t on the level and that Sterns lap dog is on the take!!

(P.S.) I’m actually more upset at how the Rockets let this game slip away! Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful!!! The Spurs suck and we let a bunch of wannabes come back on us in the 4th?? Dtonay should have to eat a whole “Habanero” for that!!

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Why is the Spurs organization thinking?

They need to tank.

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.