1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets to file protest of loss to Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 5, 2019.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we were up 40, or down 40, or tied. Whether it's the first basket of the game, or the the last shot. A referee taking 2 clean points away from a team, and then failing to give a clear reason to the coach so it can be challenged is grounds . Even if we were getting blown out and the basket wouldn't have mattered, I think it would have been grounds. Once they decided to leave it unchanged at the next dead ball the game was compromised.

I think it is an easy choice. In my entire life I don't remember this happening, so it's ridiculous when people act like it's some slippery slope. It isn't as if every questionable call would suddenly trigger a replay, only referees failing to acknowledge a ball going through the hoop.

This isn't complicated, the fact that the Rockets choked away a big lead, and that people dislike them shouldn't factor in.

Sanctity, pahiyas, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does it matter that we lost the game? If we won, was the game still compromised and should be replayed?

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No, if we won it's a non issue.

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Those 2 points being that we out scored the Spurs in regulation are crucial.
    I don’t get why you can’t understand the importance of context during the game. If we lose by 30 and those two points are waived you still have to file a complaint it just won’t change the result if you still lost by 20.

5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

If it's in the first quarter, replay starting from that.

The problem here is the NBA ref made a decision that should not stand. It's not simply a miss call, it's not allowing the coach to protest. Is there a rule that a protest cannot be made for not counting a made basket? There is a rule that the protest must be made within 30 sec - and that's what will be disputed. If indeed the coach has the right to make the protest, did make the protest within acceptable parameter but was rejected, that cannot stand. This is the first year they are implementing this protest system, so I can definitely see the NBA willing to correct "a mistake" at this time.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In 1979, Larry O'Brien replayed a game from the 3Q on, on a bad application of the rules that effected 1pt.

"The game was resumed tonight with 5 minutes 50 seconds remaining in the third period and the 76ers ahead, 84‐81."
    https://www.nytimes.com/1979/03/24/...ice-on-same-night-137133-original-result.html

That's you answer, and you've seen that answer many times in the past few days. Hell, I've posted this about 5 times, starting with 30 minutes after the game ended.

Why do you keep asking about the 1st Q, when the most lauded commissioner of the NBA set precedent to replay games well before Harden's debunked dunk.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to absolutely protest. There’s no judgement here. It was a made basket that was improperly ruled on the court. Doesn’t matter that refs miss calls all the time. Fouls are debatable. Made baskets are not. The Rockets blew the game and have themselves to blame for that meltdown but they still technically out scored them.

8. VanityHalfBlack

When do we know the results?

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are trying to win games.

Right or wrong, do whatever you can to try and get an extra W, even If there is a slim chance of it.

Sanctity and durvasa like this.
  10. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

There really is only one correct solution to this. Award the points that were scored.

As many have pointed out though, there are two ways to do it, both with precedent.

1. There are many instances of correcting the score ex post facto, but those are usually done in game and both teams have the opportunity to react to the change. If the outcome of the game wouldn't change, they would probably simply do this and be done. But, since it does change the outcome, I can see the rationale for option 2.

2. Award the points and resume the game from that point. It's been done before, so this is not some crazy idea being floated by butt hurt fans.

Any answer to this that does not award the points, though, delegitimizes the game and should not be considered.

TheJet, Sanctity, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  11. durvasa

I did not see that.

But the circumstances of that particular game does not answer the question. A star player being wrongfully ejected in a close game at the end of the third is plainly different than what transpired here. The probability swing of who wins the game based on that event is significant, because losing a star player affects every possession thereafter. We were up double figures with 7:50 to go -- 2 points does not not significantly affect the probability of who should win the game. Same if it happened in the 1st quarter.

If you want to say that the game should be replayed regardless of time and score for a missed basket like this, fine. That's one POV. When I've asked the question before, I didn't see anyone commit to that position.

12. ChrisP

Durvasa, you present an interesting, albeit hypothetical, scenario. But, do you have a third option to offer that would include correctly awarding the points that were actually scored? If you don't have another option, then pick from the existing 2 options and let the hypotheticals go.

13. durvasa

You are saying that its crucial that we outscored the Spurs in regulation with the 2 points. And then you're saying a complaint needs to be filed even if if that wasn't the case. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Is it that the only context that matters is we lost the game and a made basket was not counted, and everything else is irrelevant to whether the game should be replayed or not?

14. durvasa

Yes, I proposed it earlier in the thread. Don't replay the full final 7:50 because it erases the comeback the Spurs made which is unfair to them. But award the Rockets two extra points, because it's unfair for a made basket to not count as such.

So, my proposal is to replay just the last 11.5 seconds of regulation, Rockets with possession, up by 2 points rather than score tied.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why don't we give the Spurs the option to forfeit the win until the last day of the regular season, they can pretend like they have the win, then give it back to the Rockets when they clinch the 9th seed.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You protest the play regardless. The fact that the outcome was affected makes it more important. I’m not sure what answer you’re looking for, they’re two separate things. You can’t allow all this nonsense to not be looked at.

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why not put Popovich on a lie-detector for the Win. Sit him down and ask him if tables were turned, would he have protested, too.
    • If he lies (independent of answer), Rockets win.
    • If he truthfully says No, Spurs win.
    But, before he answers that question, in a warm-up question, ask him if Harden is Ruining the Game.

D-rock likes this.
  18. ChrisP

Sorry I missed that. That's an interesting idea, but what would be the rule in play with this? Is it always 11.5 seconds - that seems kind of arbitrary. Was that the time of the last made basket (I really don't know), if so, what if the last made basket was at the final buzzer?

19. durvasa

Not arbitrary. It retains all the baskets the Spurs made in the fourth quarter, and just replays from the last possession when the Rockets had the ball and the score tied. It instead gives the Rockets 2 extra points, so they have the ball, up 2.

20. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

No matter what happens

I am still in shock that a Breakaway Dunk with 3 paid individuals and thousands of people watching... was simply waived off. No reviews no nothing... no points.

WOW