1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changing the Narrative: What Would it Take?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glenadyll, Dec 5, 2019.

?

Are Rockets fans too whiny?

1. No - media conspiracy

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Yeah - but anyone would be if they were criticized like we were

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Yeah - and it is getting annoying

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. This is a whiny post you hypocrite

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. I don't care

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

If you ever want to escalate your blood pressure, head on over to SB Nation, Twitter, or YouTube and start reading the comments on public articles/tweets/videos about the Rockets. It has obviously been bad for years, but things seem to have really hit the accelerator lately.

You see boatloads of comments about slow games spent at the foul line, flopping, dribble dribble dribble, style of play, etc., but I think most of that is a product of the way the media has covered the team for years.

The ones that are becoming more and more prominent are the comments about the fans, organization, and players all being whiners, and yeah, in my opinion they're probably right. CF has long been mercurial, but I feel like it has been more extreme than ever lately, and a lot of it is just moaning and whining.

So I guess my questions are these:

1) Are us Rockets fans becoming more and more insufferable as time goes on (as the public perception insists)?

2) What would have to happen to change some of that narrative (or do you not care)?

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Winning a ****ing championship would eviscerate everything from trash ass media coverage, to Twitter-fingered ****bois, to miserable fans on CF only interested in creating discord. WIN A ******* CHAMPIONSHIP!

Sajan, tmoney1101, joshuaao and 12 others like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont know if you guys know this but other teams have pretty insufferable fan bases too. Them talking about flopping and all this other crap is just a caveat because a lot of them are angry they can't beat us or that were good. A lot of it is in bad faith. Yea, you can think Harden is boring fair but how deranged these guys get is really funny.

CF is only whiny about its own team lol.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's what happens when you great in the regular season and can't make it to the finals.

All it takes is a ring. Too bad we have nothing to show for 8 years of Harden because that's what players and teams are judged by.

#4 REEKO_HTOWN, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

/thread.

I know OP was looking for more substantial debate, but it's really that simple

let's go home.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

other fans and media members can sh*t on Harden, the team, and the organization as a whole at all times, but when Rockets fans decide to clap back they’re “whiny” and “insufferable”...people can miss me with that BS

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets have very few allies in the media or on these talk shows to dispel or fight back against all the bullsh*t, so it’s left to the fans to do all the heavy lifting

the guys who should be at least trying to defend the organization from constant attacks like T-Mac and Kenny join in on the nonsense...sellouts

slothy420, glenadyll and DreamShook like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

That's also really funny, i have no idea how people can be so tone deaf.

Reeko likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This isn't true though.

Dame Lillard doesn't get this kind of heat and he hasn't won. Anthony Davis doesn't get it and he hasn't won. Giannis doesn't get it and he hasn't won. (He's young though)

AD and Dame are comparable guys. Lots of these same haters put both of them above Harden. They come at Harden with all the fire and fury and say GO WIN, but then praise jokers like Dame who has won less or David who has won nothing.

D-rock, glenadyll and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

clowns on social media, Reddit, etc will literally wish Achilles or broken leg injuries on Harden as he’s destroying their team...the way he’s talked about by the media is always so disrespectful

they want Rockets fans to just be quiet and take it...well it ain’t happening

slothy420, HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol do you also believe heroin addicts can stop their addiction just by willing it or being shown negatives or how unreasonable is it all?
    rockets hate is in their blood no rings will eradicate that

D-rock likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We would need to pay some of the big names off
    more than their corp masters and the nba

Rocket River

slothy420 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

I also disagree that winning a title would end it. It would lead to the begruding acceptance but they'd move on quickly and once we didn't win again they'd go right back at it.

This is about way more than "not winning" this is about the existential threat to how they perceive the game that is posed by the "nerds." It's not about HOUSTON or the Rockets, it's entirely about the math/debate team running a franchise and throwing numbers out and ruining the sport for jocks,.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If they won they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The entire premise of their argument is that the style doesn't win in the playoffs.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

True.
    Some clippers fans want Doc gone.
    Lakers fans are on Kuzma about his drop off.

We voice our concern on the refs, but fans of other teams, say Harden is the darling of the NBA, that refs love Harden, because of the number times he go to the line.

glenadyll and HP3 like this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree with everything, but I read the thread title as Changing the Narrative for the ROCKETS (and Harden). The only way for the narrative for the Rockets to change is if they hoist the trophy.

The hate is baked into the NBA zeitgeist, there is nothing we can do to change that short of winning it all.

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  17. justtxyank

I can see it now. Rockets beat the Bucks for the title. Ratings are down slightly. All anyone can talk about is how it's ruining the game and how nobody wants to watch James Harden and how he stole a title by flopping, etc.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ok I can see that happening. To think in a league where the Lakers are good again, it's Harden who is the reason for the rating decline. smh

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We need Adam Silvers support.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you sound logical but thats not how the world works, were harden to play for lakers he would be considered goat and it wouldnt be even close...the media and ppl are never about the logic...they dont have any ground to stand upon ALREADY, yet they are very creative in inventing the leg to stand upon:D
    i AM 100% SURE they will find something to denigrate and invalidate any rings rockets and harden eventually win...

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.