1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fry's Electronics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 18, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Damn, thats why I kept seeing tax on store sites. I kept cycling through stores online that I didnt think had a state footprint and still kept seeing tax.

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Yeah it's a big bummer. Some small out-of-state independent stores don't charge tax yet. I'm not sure if they're exempt or just not updated on all states's laws. I was confused when I had tax on an online order so I looked it up and the law was changed earlier this year.

CCity Zero and donkeypunch like this.
  3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

4. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I remember coming here after every payday working at Borders Books (another long gone brick and mortar store), and checking out the DVD section, the video game hardware, and whatever random crap they carried. It was always so busy too but its honestly been years since I stepped foot in a Fry's.

5. donkeypunch

Deckard and KingCheetah like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it totally sucks... Especially on car parts/bigger ticket tech purchases. I was surprised recently on a transmission business in Buffalo, NY where I ordered some parts that were hard to get locally here in TX - without special order suddenly getting taxed. I mean I expect it on Amazon but can't even win on ebay/smaller niche part distributors lately.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great bump from @KingCheetah, thanks to you, @donkeypunch! I really enjoyed looking through that thread. 2001 wasn’t what many of us expected back in the 1960’s. I seriously thought that we’d have a space station far different from the one we have now. If not by 2001, then certainly by now. Walt Disney had a TV series during the ‘50’s called Disneyland. There were all sorts of episodes, from ones about Davy Crockett, to a few about the future, those with help from Dr Werner Von Braun. The space station vaguely resembled the one in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Image below is from 1952.

[​IMG]

I thought in the ‘60’s that we’d have a colony on the Moon supporting several thousand people from many countries by now. Scientists, engineers, mining operations for rare metals and the like, supported by a space station more like the one above. A base that we would use to begin the exploration of Mars, among other things. Didn’t work out that way.

KingCheetah and ryan_98 like this.
  8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Last time I went to a frys was a bit over 3 years ago to pick up a new A/V receiver. I had no idea they were going out of business. Thats a shame I did like the store a lot but I just didnt frequent it too often. Their return policy was great but also terrible as they just put whatever was returned back on the shelves without checking to see what was wrong. You would hear stories of people getting literal junk in boxes they've bought.

The thing that surprised me a lot - at least the Frys in southern california - was that they sold p*rn dvds/blu-rays out in the open right by all the other dvds/blu-rays.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clearly Fry's is expanding its business into selling shelves.

peleincubus and Deckard like this.
  10. donkeypunch

Clearly, all the funding from the underground parking in the Astrodome went to Fry's, so they cleared everything out and will now house cars for big events.

11. Buck Turgidson

I miss brick and mortar book stores more than anything...record stores would be second.

Browsing and finding cool stuff you never would have thought about is difficult to virtually impossible on a website.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Bookstores also just smell amazing. Something about the paper I guess.

The Hunted likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I went to one tonight and it was really empty. Thing is I asked some different workers there and they said that they weren’t closing. They are just clearing out inventory because they are getting a new vendor in 2020 that will restock all the shelves. They aren’t offering any discounts though, everything was full price.

If Frys does close it will feel like a small part of my childhood has died. For me, being a kid interested in technology, going to Frys was entertaining by itself. I would have fun going there and just touching, feeling, and playing around with the electronics they had. I’d spend an hour there browsing with no intention of buying anything. When my dad asked me if I wanted to go to Fry’s I looked forward to going. Hope it survives.

boomboom likes this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

You'd think that if Fry's was closing, they'd have one of those liquidation companies come in and buy all of their stuff and have a homeless guy standing outside with the "Closing Sale" sign on a stick. I'm starting to think there might be something to them actually pulling through this (short-term, at least).

15. Carl Herrera

16. Carl Herrera

Your experience at Fry's sounds like the experience that some other people have with bookstores. The issue is whether this converts into sufficient sales to sustain the business. Also, with Fry's so many of the shelves being empty is making them much less of a attraction for the browsing experience-- in fact, it is depressing.

I am not buying the "new vendor" story for one second. When Bestbuy, or any other retailer, was struggling, did they leave their shelves empty for months at a time like this in order to reboot?

arkoe likes this.
  17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I’m thinking the same. It also doesn’t seem to solve the problem of their stores are just too large.

18. Asian Sensation

“new vendor”

[​IMG]

sammy, KingCheetah and boomboom like this.
  19. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I worked at Borders Books until about a year before they closed down and I remember our store manager telling us to not talk to anyone about the company closing down and directing them to her. This was when it was just rumors. Company's will try to save face even when it's obvious they are struggling.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no new vendor.