1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to potentially protest game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 4, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey hasn't said anything. The Rockets aren't "making excuses." On principal alone I think they have to protest the game personally.

But like you said, the coach is well aware of the Rockets effort issues. He's been calling it out all season. He was stunned by the referees and he should have been. The ref blew a call, changed his explanation in the moment twice, refused a replay and then made up a new story after the game. How could anyone not be flabbergasted by that?

Doesn't change that D'Antoni has expressed deep concern with the way this team doesn't try hard enough and doesn't play hard for the entire game. He sees it. He calls them out about it. He can't fix it.

2. Nook

Nook Member

The NBA has before.

Typically they award the basket or correct the call and then replay the remainder of the game. They did it with the Heat on a bad call against Shaq. The Warriors also tried a few years ago.

my “guess” is the league will say that MDA didn’t challenge. Even though he clearly did.

bro2044, BigMaloe, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

He needs to accept some blame for these these "effort issues". Playing these guys heavy minutes is going to cause fatigue at the end of games. Give the bench guys more spot minutes throughout the game.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Not worried about the time that has passed but whether this is considered a "misapplication of the rules". The rule says:

'"A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a ball from the playing area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net."

However, what if the refs did not see the ball passing through the net? Is that a misapplication of the rules or a missed call by the refs?

5. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Good points, however SA immediately hit a 3 following, which negated Hardens and any boost there.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In 1979, Larry O'Brien upheld a protest in the 3rd Quarter, that amounted to 1pt. He also suspended the ref five games (for incompetence), and fined him.

If it's a missed dunk (a bad judgement call?), then MDA told us he was Challenging Harden knocking the ball out of bounds. That's reviewable, and the result is the ball wasn't even in play.

Are you concerned with how the Rockets are perceived by fans (Why?), or are you ready to call them Whiny Babies, if they protest?

RayRay10, Patience and justtxyank like this.
  7. justtxyank

Eh. He does play guys too many minutes, but chief among them is PJ and he doesn't have the effort issue.

BeBreezy likes this.
  8. Red Nation RGV

If the entire game was played within 1 or 2 possession's then I see a reason to protest but c'mon man! We were up by 12 without the bucket (up by 16 to start the 4th) and then let some dude go off and not put anyone on him like glue.

The same resoning we use when we say "if you don't like Beard going to the free throw line then dont foul him" that **** applies to letting a scrub make his mark and go off i.e. Jonathan Simmons (he cashed in now is in hiding)

Let it go an move on as infuriating as it is

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

A 2 point made basket isn’t significant in a game that was tied in regulation?

bro2044 and BeBreezy like this.
  10. Patience

Double post

11. justtxyank

This is a good pull. I had no idea about this. I would be happy with even just the referee suspension here personally. The lack of accountability is ridiculous.

Right. There's just so much fail all around by the official on this. Ultimately the call was a "missed basket." It's important to note that this is NOT what the official told D'Antoni. In the moment he offered two explanations...TWO...and neither one was "missed basket." It's just...stunning is the only word I can think of.

The Rockets aren't going to get respect for being quiet about this. They won't get any extra credit at the end of the year. The coach and the players aren't whining and fans of other teams aren't going to respect the Rockets no matter what they do at this point. Why should the team pass up the remote chance to get a do-over to gain...nothing by being quiet? To give a BBS poster a little pride? Nah.

bro2044, D-rock, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, I said the 2 point wouldn't be significant enough for those NBA honchos to act, you have to undergo due diligence, and protest yourself and the odds wouldn't be that good.

That is what I am figuring out, we'll see, if they let the Rockets re-play the 4th quarter, that would be great.

After the league revision, we will know more.

13. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

We deserve the L that is all

CK Johnson likes this.
  14. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

I think it is a miss call by the scorer (table official.) I did not see the ref waiving the basket, it looks like he just thought it was a missed dunk. Does the ref make a signal every made basket? I don't think they do. The scorer should have counted the basket and let the refs reverse it if they want to. Unless the scorer did not see it too. LOL.

15. Patience

Wins and losses are not determined by which team plays optimally, they are determined by which team scores more points in a given time frame. The Rockets scored more points than the Spurs in 48 minutes, and the referees erroneously did not count 2 of those points. Therefore, the Rockets actually deserved to win the game.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This isn't about a lost double digit lead or Westbrook and Harden's shooting percentage. It's about an egregious misapplication of the rules (and should also be about the incoherent and possibly dishonest official explanation after the game). A team shouldn't have to play a perfect game before they can ask the league to address game-altering referree incompetence/misconduct that far exceeds the typical/understandable in-the-moment missed foul calls or violations.

17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

The scorer actually counted the bucket on the scoreboard and in the book. They later changed it after the controversy.

bro2044, D-rock, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  18. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

PJ is a unique type of beast.

19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

That was based on the direction of the refs. This seems murky to me on whether its classified as "missed" or "misapplication".

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m more concerned about the perception, because it saps my enjoyment when there is excessive negativity directed towards my team and in reaction this board is filled with constant complaints over that negatively.

BeBreezy likes this.