1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to potentially protest game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 4, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The refs explanation doesn't even make sense.

Look at these two tweets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, a few things happen here. MDA is saying he's challenging whatever the refs called and they won't let him, not only that, they did NOT call goaltending/basket interference, the play goes on and Harden reacts as if he has missed the shot and chases after the ball. So they did NOT call anything.

These dumbasses missed the call and are trying to think of excuses to put them in the right.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Apparently, NBA can just rule a made basket. I think that's unlikely.

There have only been 6 upheld protests. Each one of them called for a replay of the game from point of protest. One went all the way back to the 3rd Quarter.

One was a replay of a judgement call (tip-in at buzzer). 4 were "misapplication of the rules by the official" -- Commissioner Larry O'Brien basically rejected all protests except for that category of misapplication of rules. Latest, under Sterns' watch, was blamed on the scorer's table.
    • 1979: One was for a 3rd technical foul called on a player...which isn't allowed under the rules. NOTE: Ref was suspended for 5 games and fined $2.500 for "failure to comply with league procedures."

Replay from 5:50 remaining in 3rd Q.
      https://www.nytimes.com/1978/11/23/...t-in-nov-8-loss-to-76ers-point-of-return.html

• 1983: Another for an incorrect jump ball ruling on a fake free throw, that led to players from both teams jumping into the lane ... ruled a jump ball (double-lane violation). Protest said the ball never left the shooters hand yet, so ball wasn't in play. Upheld. The fake FT was on purpose at end of game to try to get someone in the lane.

Replay of last 3 seconds of game, with Norm Nixon on the line.
      https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/15/sports/nba-upholds-spurs-protest.html

• 2008: Last one was Shaq being called for 6th foul, when it was just his 5th. The Hawks were fined $50,000 for that scorer's table screw up.

Replay last 52 seconds of game.
      https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=3192421

• Prior to that, in 1970 there was the "Phantom Buzzer Game." Tip in occurred at the buzzer, disallowed. Play resumed tie game with 1 second left.
    • 1972 was Cleveland being granted a full timeout when they didn't have one left.
    • Also an illegal substitution back in 1953.

#22 heypartner, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

LOL, I’d be shocked if anything came of this. Bad calls happen every game, and the league already tracks this. How could they justify replaying based on this, when there were other missed calls that benefited the Rockets (4 points they should not have gotten due to out of bounds violations). It makes no sense,

4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I clearly remember this as well. Going to rewatch this on DVR.

HP3 likes this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Rockets gm never played sports and is naive if he thinks single call on the game that ended will be overturned. I never seen something like this and it will send a bad message about the team

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is wild only the Rockets man.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well it is time for Adam Silver to put himself in the record books gawd damn it. This is some all time clown ****. To not even review a made basket when they go back and review toes on the line is the dumbest thing ever.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is not just a missed call.

This is a missed basket.

Rustyrig, gotsis, Deckard and 9 others like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Because those arent reviewable calls, this was and we asked for one and the ref came out and LIED.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Man, the Rockets are always caught up in some crazy drama. Just forget it and move on. This achieves nothing, beyond furthering this team’s rep as a bunch of whiny babies. Let the Spurs have their win.

BaselineFade and bmelo like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

13. SORF

SORF Member

Well, call me a skeptic...I don't have much faith in the NBA granting the 2 pts for the dunk or replaying the last 7+ minutes again. I will be shocked if it happens. The Rockets are not the one of the NBA's "glory teams".

topfive, slothy420 and Rocket River like this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why is this even an issue?

For what possible reason did they not check it on video at the next stoppage/ timeout?

They check foot on the line 3s at the next stoppage.

100% this is a farce!

(But also, close the damn game out?)

topfive, slothy420, Patience and 4 others like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

au contraire ... i love it...rockets fans deserve this... these clowns stole 2 rings from harden... and rockets fans blame it all on morey harden and mda....

16. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

they should just let us replay the wcf game 6 and 7. Those games were such a disgrace from the nba. I’ve never seen just a horrific rigging job like that. Smh

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Shouldn't the refs be accountable for their mistakes?

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is not some toe out of bounds while I steal the ball play or a I'm going to jump under you while you shoot a three. THIS IS A MADE BUCKET THAT WASN'T COUNTED. I feel like we should be more optimistic. This is hittin different than the our regular Rockets whining.

This isn't a spirit of the rules judgment call. There is nothing more definitive than a made bucket.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Someone post a vid of Mike twirling his finger LOL.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

If you have ever played you'd know too well its the hardest thing in the world to play and you know very well that even the refs are against you