1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cybertruck - New Tesla Pickup Unveiling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Tesla is pulling that RWD F150 up a hill, which means the F150 will get minimal traction. It's deceptive and unfair by design, but still cool.

Ford's vice president of something called them out. Tesla offered to do it on flat ground ( I believe) and Ford at first accepted, but then got a little nervous.

I think Musk is doing it anyways.

sammy and CCity Zero like this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's a marketing gimmick test. Ford and Chevy do this crap in commercials all the time. Doing it in a Tesla commercial is no different. Ford should offer a towing competition where each truck sees how long it takes to tow a travel trailer to California from the midwest.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ford should put its new Mustang to the challenge.

sammy likes this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

lol Ford dude didnt think Musk would respond to his tweet.

Musk did and Ford dude be like...

[​IMG]

sammy and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Oh absolutely. Chevy's are the worst.

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

It's funny that you believe it.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I believe it was funny.

8. Buck Turgidson

That's all that matters these days!

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Guess Ford didn't want no smoke.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, haha, Chevy's commercials are the worst. I mean similar to Ford, - Depending on real use or actually repairing them, they never highlight that, it's typically a bunch of bs marketing that doesn't highlight real world use. I sometimes wonder if the marketing even helps if it's an established product, I mean maybe but.. people who are using their trucks for work/towing probably aren't really getting their information from the silly commercials (at least I hope not).

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'd be interested to see these tests, especially if Ford manipulates the gear ratio or goes with an unconventional transmission that'd only work with this test, I think the electric motor will still win due to the crazy torque on the low end all the way through. Electric is wild, I mean no transmission and a true continuous acceleration that isn't dependent on using a shitty CVT (even then the electric goes from 0 rpm, while the conventional engine still has to have some Rpm just idling).

That's what was silly about Ford's mockup of an actual electric Mustang w/ a manual transmission... (not the electric suv that's potentially real), but the one where people (and I mean seriously) not understanding why there'd be no transmission... Like there were actually people saying it'd be better than the Tesla because it has a manual Transmission. Like seriously??! The only reason you'd have some transmission is if it was some type of better speed/accelerator/efficiency on the higher end - perhaps to allow the electric motor to work more efficiently at speed (as per the Porsche example below). All I know is it was interesting to see people argue - and trolling or not - it was funny, since there definitely wouldn't be a manual transmission in an electric vehicle.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/05/f...tang-with-a-manual-transmission-and-were-mad/

Anyway, Porsche's idea for having a 2 speed transmission could beiinteresting on the high-end or efficiency to drive longer - road trips at highway speed etc. but it's still not something you're going to want to have manual control over, I mean unless you want to add engine noise in your speakers and pretend you're shifting... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28903274/porsche-taycan-transmission/

#151 CCity Zero, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lego getting savage... LOL :

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

That pulling test is idiotic. The amount of force each truck can exert on the other truck depends purely on the maximum amount of friction between the tire and the road. The amount of friction depends purely on the normal force between the tire and the road (assuming same tires were used). It's the same idea of why people load up sandbags in their car when it's slippery out.

The Ford is at a huge disadvantage since it looks like it's the RWD model with an empty bed which means only the back weight (~30% of the whole truck weight gives traction). The Cybertruck also certainly weighs more than the F150. The Model X is already 5500lb. The Cybertruck has to be pushing 6000 lb minimum.

Take a 4wd F150, load it up with sandbags to make it weigh the same as the Cybertruck then redo the test and it would be more of a reasonable test. But even then, it's a silly test that doesn't show how well a truck would perform in actual usage.

15. omgTHEpotential

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It’s called marketing, breh. The truth don’t matter if people believe the rhetoric. Just ask any ‘pro’ wrestler, snake oil salesman or our president.

Hakeemtheking and CCity Zero like this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Speaking of Elon, if this "pedo guy" thing goes to a jury shouldn't his lawyer just say the white british expat who moved to Thailand and be enthusiastic about a bunch of boys trapped in a cave needs to prove he isn't a pedo?

does musk have to prove he IS a pedo, or does the pedo guy have to prove he isn't a pedo.

19. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i want to see the crash test rating on this truck. If the exoskeleton is as hard as they claim, all the force of a crash would be transferred to the people inside... reason cars crumple today compared to all steel bodies of classics.

Invisible Fan and heypartner like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FrontRunner and CCity Zero like this.