1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] NBA considering re-seeding conference finalists, postseason play-in

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 23, 2019.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree, it's not. It's seasoning on the new dish they're trying to serve. If reduce number regular season has to be more. Maybe Silva privately wants fewer games for long term picture (players' health), but he has to give the owners and TV people something they can cling onto. I'd still ask for more.

If it is about players health, look at where are the coaches doing load management currently, it's the back to back. If they want to make a dent, that'd be the first place to start.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Will be interesting to see if they adopt.

I like shortening the season. Placing more importance on the regular season to discourage load management. Creating a play in to discourage tanking.

reseeding in the playoffs - meh

will it work - who knows. Baseball should be watching closely though.

da_juice likes this.
  3. SemisolidSnake

Not sure how I feel about reseeding. In NBA history, including pre-merger, only two teams have won the championship seeded lower than 3rd going into the playoffs. Would reseeding strengthen or weaken the chances of lower-seeded teams pulling off an upset when it's already incredibly unlikely? I legitimately don't know. Would these tournaments change any of that? No idea.

Now, even with going to down to 78 regular season games, what's described here sounds to me like a way to take the most agonizingly long major sport season...and make it even longer. Six solid months not long enough? Let's get it to six-and-a-half or even seven with these tournaments thrown in there.

Deckard likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#24 J.R., Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the in season tournament idea is just plain stupid

Sajan, BeBreezy and da_juice like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If the reward for the in-season tourney winner was not having to pay lux tax for 5 years, I'd be for it.

Sajan, da_juice and BigShasta like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I really like the reseeding idea

I don’t get the point of the midseason tournament. Why should I give a single fck about it or about who wins it? Does the winner get something other than a check? If the winner of the tournament got HCA throughout their conference playoffs or something like that, then the tournament will have some meaning and there will be an uptick in intensity.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

We need to send his youngest son to meet with the NBPA on these matters.

Jontro likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

A draft pick for the winner would certainly stop any load management during these games, but I can’t see it motivating most players to bring playoff intensity to them.

BeBreezy likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...layer-prize-mulled-proposed-season-tournament

The NBA is discussing a $1 million per player purse for the winners of the proposed 30-team, in-season tournament, league sources told ESPN.

The league is hopeful that an additional financial incentive would motivate players to treat a new tournament with a competitive fervor.

The NBA wants an in-season tournament that would begin with pool-play as part of the regular season schedule before the teams with best records advance to an eight-team single-elimination tournament that would culminate in mid-December, league sources said.

Some team executives are skeptical that would be the case. Among the concerns of top front office officials discussing these ideas with the league office: Many suspect that star players might prefer the five-day scheduling break that would come with not qualifying for the tournament rather than competing for the financial reward of a winner-take-all event that requires a quarterfinal, semifinal and title round to become champion.

Without the buy-in of star players, there are obvious questions about whether the tournament would be equipped to achieve its ambitions of increasing fan interest, revenue and television ratings.

The average NBA player makes approximately $9 million, but some superstars make four and five times that salary.

Especially among big market owners with larger home game financial gates, finances have also been an overriding concern about the league's in-season tournament idea: Can the NBA promise "revenue-neutral" financial returns to teams for shortening the schedule to 78 regular season games, sources tell ESPN.

Teams are reluctant to take short-term losses on losing two home dates to accommodate the tournament, especially when those games can be worth between $3 million and $4 million for the most profitable big market teams, league sources said.

The NBA is hopeful that it'll eventually be able to drive increased revenue in several ways -- including through television rights and sponsorships. The NBA would need to negotiate the television rights as part of the next media deal midway through the coming decade.

The NBA needs two-thirds of the teams (23) and NBPA to agree to the calendar changes, which commissioner Adam Silver hopes would begin with the league's 75th anniversary season in the 2021-22 season.

The changes need to be passed at the league's Board of Governors meeting in April for changes to be implemented for 2021-2012, sources said.

The NBA has been making the case to teams and the union on implementing a three-part change to the league calendar that includes the post-Thanksgiving tournament, a play-in for the seventh and eighth conference playoff seeds and a re-seeding based off Eastern and Western Conference Finals based on regular season records, sources said.

There appears to be less debate among teams on agreeing to the postseason play-in and re-seeding ideas on the agenda.

In proposals that include the adoption of in-season tournaments and a postseason play-in, the traditional regular-season schedule would be reduced from 82 games -- with most teams scheduled to play 78 or 79 games. There's a small possibility of a team playing a maximum of 83 games based on possible tournament and play-in scenarios, league sources said.

For the in-season tournament, the NBA is focused on 30-team participation that begins with a divisional group stage of scheduled regular-season games.

Those pre-knockout-round games would be part of the regular-season schedule. Six divisional winners -- based on home and road records in the group stage -- and the two teams with the next-best records would advance to a single-elimination knockout round, league sources said.

#31 J.R., Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I hate it. I don't want this change. I'll be the old man talking about the good ole days, no tournament + 82 game season.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Awful suggestions:
    - 78 - seriously, what’s the point?
    - in-season tournament - to compensate for 4 games lost, makes no sense. Money is the prize, as if these guys care about that...
    - play-in tournament for 7-8 seeds - imagine working hard all year for the 7th seed to lose one game and be out of the playoffs all together. Silly idea w/ the amount of games played.
    - reseeding of top 4 - what good is that going to do?

I agree with everyone who says just do top 1-16 and be done with it.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fine with everything except 78 games. Keep 82. Tournaments would be fun regardless of who plays and how seriously the players take the games. Yall are just crying.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I guarantee this will end up keeping Lebron & the Lakers away from the Clippers & us in the postseason, so they can get him in the finals. The NBA & Adam Silver will bend over backwards for Lebron. Remember when Lebron was in the east? He'd basically get a free pass to the finals every year. Now he's in the West and they're trying to change the whole system again. The league is a clown show

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Weirder and weirder. Now they are attempting to make the divisions, which have become essentially meaningless, important again. A million bucks a player for the winners of the tournament? That won't mean anything to the big stars, in my opinion. I didn't see any mention of granting an extra draft pick to the winner. Did they dump that idea?

17. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I kind of like Bill Simmons’ idea of tournament game wins counting for more in the W-L column. Something like 4 wins for the championship game, 2 for the semis. That could incentivize superstars and front offices. Keep the million prize for role players.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I like they are trying to change things. If they can get the incentives right for teams and fans to care about it then it’d be great.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please let this fall apart. Absolutely hate the ideas, all of them.

DVauthrin, Sajan, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  20. rockets13champs

Even baseball changed to the wild card system within the last 5 years. It adds more drama to the end of the season. I’m all for it