1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Difference Between the Rockets and the Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketMAD, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Quite a negative and defeatist attitude. I don’t get it. Anyway Tillman and morey already know this is MDA’s last chance/year. The scheme just doesn’t work. I’m all the games I’ve seen opposing teams score way too easily by way of dribble penetration and screens. Rockets are a small team not able to clog lanes and make shots difficult. But we spit blood just to score. Reminds me the Van gundy years with Yao. The stars and EG have to work so hard to create and score while the rest are standing at the 3 which we have died by so many times. The scheme doesn’t work. Time for a new coach and approach with more movement and screens.

bmelo likes this.
  2. slapyomoma

slapyomoma Member

Not only....contenders realize when their threes are off and drive the paint, play tenacious D, rotate players until they find someone that is hot or find other ways to win. When threes are off for the Rockets they don't do a damn thing but keep shooting threes until they lose by 20.

hakeem94, javal_lon and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You call me defeatist and make my same point. great. Cant say its a pleasure talking to you bro.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No I did not make the same point. Lol you argue just to argue it seems. Yes your view is negative and defeatist. I never said there was a talent issue.Its not talent. Teams aren’t somehow more talented. It’s scheme. Coaching. Do you understand? Perhaps not. Btw I never said I did not believe in our players making a shot to win the game. You did therefore I called you defeatist. Difference between me and you I believe we have talent and can play. You don’t. it’s the scheme, coaching and philosophy that kills us.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love me some basketMAD takes in the morning :D

fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Issues are not on the offensive end. Issues are our perimeter defense is weak. Without Paul, there is no one to cover up Harden's defensive mistakes because Westbrook is actually a worse defender than Harden. Our swiss cheese perimeter defense can not corrected by coaching or anything that the 3 other guys on the court can fix. Yet until that is fixed this team is not a contender.

Westbrook simply is not the right fit for this team. Paul was a better fit because of his defense despite his age. But not only do we lose Paul, we lost our ability to get any other 3&D guys.

daywalker02 and J Sizzle like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It’s MDA

That and some personnel issues . But this early in the season it’s more coaching . Matchups aren’t killing us and it’s not like teams are in series where they can gameplan.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

There’s some issues on perimeter D I’d agree but that’s not why we lost to the clippers and we could’ve ran back on Dallas. I thought they played good enough D in those games (second half Dallas game) The offense is hurting us. Westbrook seems so out of control it’s very nerve racking to watch and wonder whether he’ll turn the ball over or blow by 3 defenders for a layup. CP3 was a calming presence in the offense creating and distributing beautifully. He simply was more controlled and cerebral. That’s what I miss about that offense. even last last years team was more controlled. Too much standing around waiting on the 2 stars. And poor shooting. Shots that Russ misses would probably be made by CP3. Just think 2 or 3 threes a game could’ve decided games like the last clippers game. Also when harden is doubled down zoned there is zero movement to get in the middle or cuts to the basket. Guess the answer is a little of both but I’m concerned more on offense.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

You guys really want know the difference between the swag champs and contenders???

Contenders make their baskets....

tycoonchip likes this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Rockets wing players are 6-4 to 6'5 Too small to defend consistently in the NBA. They have to get bigger and better defenders. That's on Morey.

GotGame15 and pippendagimp like this.
  11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Rockets have a solid team, but not a championship team. Lacking Defensive wings, and guys who can come in and nock down key shots late in games or get that defensive stop/rebound. Westbrook aint got that pedigree.

They will go 2nd round, but probably get upset by clippers at home. Lakers vs Clippers in Finals. Im sure Lakers will handle the nuggets. I dont know how the mavericks will fair, They could even shut down the rockets in the first round as a 5th seed, showing how last game was.

J Sizzle likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This would not be an upset. Rockets are clearly worse than the Clippers.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No it's not.

Big, athletic defenders cost real money. You don't get them on minimum deals. If Morey is not allowed to pay up, then how is he expected to get those players?

YOLO likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance