1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you even read the article?

It does not back up your claim and ends with him saying this.

Buttigieg has since said that the episode — which unfolded as the city’s residents were marching to protest the killing of Trayvon Martin — strained his relationship to the black community in an enduring way. The small-town mayor has done no better with black voters in his presidential bid, consistently polling close to zero among African Americans.

Also the tape recordings have nothing to do with Pete he is not on them and never heared them.

This is some O's level disinformation spreading here.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say here but I never thought you where anything other than an honest broker.

Why do you keep saying he attributes that without showing evidence?

2. Major

Major Member

It's glynch. He's not an honest anything. He's a Bernie shill and everyone else is evil and corrupt. He even considers Elizabeth Warren to be a corporate Democrat.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I knew that but I had never seen him promoting actual falsehoods.

He actually likes Warren now.

Major likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

lol What are the falsehoods?

I am definitely for Sanders and consider Warren a distinct second. I guess that does not pass Major's wierd test of falsehoods.

Major equates contented middle of the road opinions as being per se the truth.

Contented moderates are the folks who brought us Trump.

#285 glynch, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The falsehood is you claiming something that Pete never said and you misrepresenting the article you posted.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

8. dmoneybangbang

Or high minded progressives choose to sit out of 2016 because they couldn’t get what they wanted....

.... clearly Trump its better for healthcare and the environment than Clinton. Anytime now the GOP will unveil their healthcare plan!

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. glynch

Major is not a dishonest guy He likes to have his opinions and support moderate policians, I think he is partly pissed because I caught him doing the same things he accuses me to diss Sanders who he thinks is too radical.

FWIW expressing opinions does not make one dishonest. I don't expect Pete to admit that he fired the police chief for any, but the most legitimate of reasons. I actually think Pete is not particularly racist, just very open to the highest bidder and if the money and power had been on keeping even an incompetent African American police chief he would have done so.

I really do think it was sort of whining and unfortunate for Pete to blame his low standing in the African
    American community of their backward opinions on gays.

10. glynch

I have never defended that and voted dutifully for Hillary as did the vast majority of Sander's supporters.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pete Buttigieg has now lost all confidence from black voters
    https://thehill.com/opinion/campaig...has-now-lost-all-confidence-from-black-voters

Imagine being so desperate for support from a set of voters that you twist the truth to improve your standing. But that is exactly what Democratic presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg has done in South Carolina. With only 2 percent support among African Americans according to an average of national polls, Buttigieg is attempting to pull the wool over the eyes of black voters by touting support from high profile African Americans in South Carolina by saying that they support his “Douglass Plan” for black citizens. However, there is one problem with that. None of it is true.

As noted by the Intercept, several prominent African Americans in South Carolina whom the Buttigieg campaign touted as endorsing his plan have publicly come out saying they did no such thing. Some of them are even supporting and endorsing other candidates. So what gives? It is pure and simple desperation. Despite being the current frontrunner among his fellow candidates in Iowa, Buttigieg knows what we all know. You simply cannot become the Democratic nominee without African Americans.

All the fundraising in the world cannot save the young politician from Indiana, and doing well in a state that more closely resembles Norway than the rest of the United States does not help his case. His trouble with black voters runs deep, and there are two issues that make it clear why an overwhelming majority of them will not support his bid for president.

After being sworn in as mayor of South Bend almost eight years ago, Buttigieg asked for the resignation of Darryl Boykins, the first African American police chief there. Boykins initially complied but later rescinded that decision. He was demoted to captain and eventually retired. Boykins allegedly caught white officers on tape making racist comments. Buttigieg sought to penalize Boykins by using the excuse that he was pressured by federal prosecutors to fire Boykins for violating the Wiretap Act.

However, Boykins argued it was a standard part of department procedure to wiretap certain phone lines. Boykins and his attorney questioned the claim by Buttigieg that the mayor was pressured by federal prosecutors, and later won a racial discrimination suit in which he received $50,000 from the city of South Bend. This case is important because it shows that Buttigieg is incapable of properly dealing with any allegations of racism. Considering the deleterious relationship many black communities across the United States have with police, it would be like committing suicide to put faith in his ability to heal the nation and solve this problem.

Pause for concern does not end there. Earlier this year, there was a police shooting in South Bend, and Buttigieg left the campaign trail to deal with the issue at home. With the media following closely behind, the mayor came off as both aloof and tone deaf to the pain and anger of local black residents. In a heated exchange, an understandably upset and emotional African American woman asked, “You want black people to vote for you?” Buttigieg shockingly answered, “I am not asking for your vote.”

The visual of that moment had an impact that rippled across the entire black community. He was disrespectful and arrogant. He displayed an unwillingness to immerse himself in the pain of his constituents, and that moment alone was a disqualifying fall from which he may never recover. From the way he fired Boykins to his response to the shooting, Buttigieg has shown black voters that he is not ready to lead a country divided and plagued with racial issues that warrant a more experienced leader.

Attempting to deceive black voters like he did in South Carolina is an intellectual insult to African Americans and marks another reason why black voters will likely remain apprehensive of Buttigieg. For many black voters, the calculation is simple. If Buttigieg is poorly equipped to deal with matters of race in a place as small as South Bend, then he certainly is not capable of dealing with them across the entire United States.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I completely disagree that moderate politicians are to blame for the rise in power of Trump.

Of all the things that happened in the years prior to Trump running in 16-

-FoxNews propaganda
    -Obama backlash with racists
    -Facebook becoming the primary “news” feed for old White people
    -Republican controlling Congress and spending 4 years destroying Hillary
    -Hillary running a pretty rough campaign
    -The MSM media falling for Trumps tricks every damn day and covering every word out of his mouth

..... all of those things happening and the blame is that Democrats had too many members who weren’t progressive enough because their constituents weren’t as liberal???

I enjoy your support for Bernie and I personally love Bernie myself, but this is a pretty ill informed take imo. I hope you would vote for someone like Pete, Warren, etc. if Bernie does not win the nomination.

If you haven’t noticed, Trump is still very much a coin flip in the Midwest, and you shouldn’t blame everyone because some candidates like Pete are trying to appeal to those voters that might or might not come back to the party.

That being said, I absolutely believe a progressive can win in the Midwest too.. but it’ll be because of an economic message... not necessarily M4A, and free college. Bernie and Warren have strengths that can win those states.

We are on the same side man. Let’s find areas of agreement please. It’s not Bernie or Trump... let’s be better than that.

13. glynch

I will vote Democratic and against Trump. I think that Mayor Pete aside from being unqualiied is the biggest phony of all the 12 or so who have announced. Many politicians will say anything to get elected and are whores to attract big donors , but he is so extreme about this. Mayor Pete is so well spoken ( I would rate him even better than Obama in a question and answer format) so I can understand the attraction.

I cite an article outside the Billionaire/ corporate news , who unsurprisingly love them some Mayor Pete.
    This might be shocking to several recent contributors this thread, but I dispute it is dishonest to do so.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/22/pete-buttigieg-just-shill-corporations-and-donor-class
    Is Pete Buttigieg Just a Shill for Corporations and the Donor Class?
    Why has Buttigieg flipped from being a putative progressive to being perhaps the most conservative, pro-corporate Democrat remaining in the field? A good place to start would be to follow the money.

#293 glynch, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    CometsWin likes this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah, I'm sure that's the reason.

15. glynch

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/...d-leader-endorses-biden-over-buttigieg-072885

The longest-serving African American man on the South Bend, Ind., Common Council is endorsing Joe Biden for president, a rejection of Pete Buttigieg that highlights the South Bend mayor’s struggles with black voters.

Councilman Oliver Davis told POLITICO that while it’s nice to see someone representing Indiana in the Democratic presidential primary and bringing national attention to South Bend, Biden is more experienced.

But Davis also scolded Buttigieg, saying the mayor’s woes attracting support from communities of color “is not a new problem for him.”

“For us, this has been a consistent issue that has not gone away,” Davis said.

Davis said he watched Wednesday’s Democratic debate expecting Buttigieg to face a lot more tough questions than he did. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii questioned his qualifications to be commander in chief, and African American Sens. Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey stressed the importance of Democrats choosing a nominee who can appeal to black voters.

But Buttigieg, who is polling at 0 percent with black voters in Quinnipiac’s latest South Carolina survey, didn’t have to answer for some of his campaign’s recent racial miscues, such as the revelation that some South Carolina black leaders were surprised to see themselves named as supporters of Buttigieg and his Douglass Plan for black America.

“It’s very difficult and very frustrating to talk about a Douglass Plan when he did not perform that while he was the mayor here in town. A Douglass Plan should’ve been implemented in South Bend, Ind.,” Davis said. “He should’ve run on that in the 2011 or at least 2015 campaign, run on it, had success with it, shared it with Indiana, run nationally. I would’ve been the first one to champion that. But to see that he champions it across the country when it wasn’t practiced here has brought me great concern.”
    Davis said Buttigieg was missing in action during his failed 2010 run for state treasurer, when Davis and other local leaders were fighting for LGBT rights. And Davis said he has tried to give Buttigieg advice — to no avail — on issues ranging from body cameras for the police department to improving minority contracting to not holding an event on a Sunday at noon because many residents, particularly African Americans, are still in church at that time.

CometsWin likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There's an elephant in the room.

Nook likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

"Pete Buttigieg Is a Lying MF" is trending on twitter.

King1 and FrontRunner like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There you go again.

Can you please supply proof he has blamed them for that?

Until you do that you are being dishonest.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not good.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I wish I could make this whole post my sig.

That's the most succinct logical post on what happened in 2016.