1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Difference Between the Rockets and the Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketMAD, Nov 23, 2019.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Rockets are contenders. Harden and Westbrook are still "working it out." Head and Gordon are not playing. Capela is rounding into shape. If I was the coach, I would give Clemons more burn. Dude is impossible to guard and can shoot. By the All Star break, Rockets should be ballin. Clippers are the class of the West, and we match up well against them. I'm optimistic that we will be in the mix.

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  2. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

Here we go again... Just stop watching the Rockets play then!

3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i gotta feeling morey cooking up a trade or 2 for players that can maximize russ's strengths. and i cant wait

D-rock likes this.
  4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

At the end of games, I would have Gordon and Harden do the hand off at the top. If Gordon’s defender runs to double team Harden, it’s one pass to Gordon for a 3. Tuck Russ in the corner and PJ on the other.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Chris Clemons is a naturally gifted scorer. It is exteremely obvious he can create, drive and shoot 3s.

Austin Rivers is too trusted to play PG. Chris Clemons should play Point Guard not Austin.

Austin on defense should Guard Point Guards.

Mike Dantoni is really the most stubborn Coach I have ever seen.

Rick Adelman trusted Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry off the bench when they were young.

Crashlanded19 and jcmoon like this.
  6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The difference is when the post season comes we KNOW Kawhi's bringing it. He's going to do everything he can to win a championship. Harden on the other hand, will quit & stop competing any moment. Having a bad game is one thing, but all out stop playing defense, stop shooting & throwing full court turnover passes to Capela. He legitimately looks like he's point shaving. THIS is why it's hard to see us contending

7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

The Rockets have three huge problems that they must solve to become contenders: 1) Play defense. 2) Play as a team, where each player knows their role (Westbrook cannot be a shooter). 3) Learn to handle the clock when we have an advantage in the scoreboard.

BasketMAD and kjayp like this.
  8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You still out here throwing that crap against the wall!? What a ****ing idiot.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

So clippers aint no contender?

D-rock likes this.
  10. JackLordsHair66

Lou Will was getting a fair few layups, but good point most of their comeback was at the FT line, 3s, and KL smid range 2s.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hands down better role players, some have better and more spender friendly owners, more ball movement,

better shooting percentages, more consistent D.

But more importantly, better bench......good balance of height and skills.

#31 daywalker02, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

They were also without a starter (house) and their version of Lou Williams (Gordon ). Gordon is not as good offensively as Lou but he is a much better defensive player and would have played a key role in stopping Lou

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You mean like the last 90 seconds of the Clippers game, when LAC used three 3pters while we attacked the rim, with these 4 plays in a row.

D-rock, Williamson, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Guess where harden and russ.rank in the league in terms.of driving to the paint

D-rock and Blurr#7 like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

We are dead last in bench scoring, do not have consistent 3pt shooters nor the size and personnel to really be top 3-5 defense.

The bench scoring will come with Gordon hopefully. Then let’s see if we can have at least 4 out of these guys to average 37% or more: Harden, Tuck, Mclemore, Rivers, Gordon, Thabo and House.

Lastly there’s always buy outs and trades to be made, so here’s hoping to a game changer.

Everything is still wide open which makes it exciting, for me at least. We are part of the contenders though, odd to conclude they are somehow not when we’ve had great defense and Harden MVP like play lately.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Were Rockets at full strength when they played the clippers? NO,case closed stop overreacting.

17. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Oh yeah, and we have a far inferior coach who shouldn't even be in the league unless it's for a young team looking to improve.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Just when you thought MDA embraces playing big, he reverts back to his old ways. You cannot blame him, he’s old, set in his ways. We need a real in-game coach.

BasketMAD likes this.
  19. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

our defense can be a problem but our bench is the main problem and we shoot so many 3s with none 3point shooters we need to make some trades for some good bench players

20. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Honestly, sometimes seeing this team makes me throw up.
    78 points in one half? A team that has been with the same coach for 4 years and has this kind of unpresentable games.
    I think it's time to ask ourselves if with these players and with this coach we can achieve something. Personally I think this team is not going anywhere.

BasketMAD likes this.