1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ah, yeah, who knows what the sequence is.

Everyone is reporting trashcans, whistling, and now buzzers and they are doing it in no particular order. It seems like people think they used trashcans at home and then did other things on the road.

The accusations are all over the place at this point.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Jomboy = Charlie

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I've said this from the start. Where on earth is the evidence of a camera? (good luck with that) Again, the severity of the punishment has to meet the fact of the evidence uncovered.If there is severe punishment without proof of a camera then that must mean anyone can come forward with "info" and throw a team under the bus going forward?

lw17, gatsby, AznH-TownFan and 6 others like this.
  4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

That's the big one. We all kinda figured it happened in the regular season, and I'm fine with it.

If it was found to be done in the playoffs... Say it ain't so, 'Stros :(

5. msn

msn Member

This is not cool.

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

It is a blessing in disguise this happened. 2020 season, I see extra-motivation and really focused to wreck the MLB. This is how Patriots became the Patriots. MLB doesn't have a smoking gun, they are putting so many thing out hoping someone will bite and give in. Given all these accusations, we have yet to hear someone else besides Fier.

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I feel like our bragging rights against the Rangers and other teams have been taken away. Pisses me off

Come on Astros 2020

lw17 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

We have no proof but let's keep throwing **** at the wall & see what sticks?!

Major League Baseball is asking players about buzzing Band-Aids, furtive earpieces and pitch-picking algorithms as it tries to separate fact from fiction in its investigation into the Astros' sign-stealing scandal, sources tell ESPN.

The seeming absurdity of these tactics — none of which has been proven — speaks to the climate of paranoia in baseball fomented by the Astros. Secret camera feeds and beating on a trash can seemed crazy … until Mike Fiers went on the record with The Athletic to say it wasn’t.

While there has been no determination whether any fanciful sign-stealing tactics actually were used, MLB’s investigators have backed Rob Manfred’s mandate for thoroughness by asking. Interviews with players are ongoing as the investigation continues for the foreseeable future.

Players are being told they may avoid punishment in exchange for the truth. MLB is searching Astros’ front-office employees’ phones to cull information. Some former players are refusing to cooperate with the probe.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...ying-players-astros-sign-stealing-allegations

Major League Baseball officials investigating whether the Houston Astros cheated over the past three seasons by electronically stealing signs have asked players associated with the organization what they know about a range of alleged sign-stealing techniques, sources familiar with the conversations told ESPN on Friday.

Players have been asked about "buzzing," via the use of Band-Aid-like wearable stickers; furtive earpieces; pitch-picking algorithms; and other potential methods of sign-stealing, the sources said. Accusations about the extent of the alleged wrongdoing have streamed into commissioner Rob Manfred's office from officials of other teams, the sources said. MLB officials are endeavoring to separate fact from fiction, the sources told ESPN, and the league has not concluded whether any such methods actually have been used.

Players who might have violated league rules have been told by MLB officials they can expect leniency in exchange for answering questions truthfully. But members of the Astros' front office and coaching staff could face significant punishment upon the investigation's conclusion if they're found to have cheated, the sources said. The league has requested to search the phones of certain members of the Astros' front office, the sources said.

Stealing signs through electronic means is against MLB rules, and the story prompted an MLB investigation that Manfred said this week will be "as thorough as humanly possible" and will also encompass the 2018 and 2019 teams. The inquiry, the sources told ESPN, includes examining a wide swath of sign-stealing theories.

Skepticism about the Astros' motivations and tactics dates back years and has contributed to the accusations against the Astros -- most of which have been delivered without supporting evidence. Players nevertheless have been asked if they know about the Astros relaying signs through earpieces, decoding signs with an algorithm or even using wearable technology embedded in Band-Aid-like items or worn in shoes that could signal pitches electronically.

The league is hoping to determine both the depth of the Astros' alleged transgressions as well as how high knowledge of them went in the organization, the sources told ESPN.

Investigators' conversations with players have followed those with Astros front-office employees as well as on-field staff, including current Astros manager AJ Hinch, former bench coach and current Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora and former designated hitter and current New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran, the sources told ESPN. A number of current Astros players have not spoken with investigators yet but are expected to talk in the near future, the sources said. Multiple players no longer in baseball have refused to cooperate with the investigation, according to sources familiar with their decision.

The outrage among opposing teams, simmering for years, boiled upon Fiers' statements, the sources said. At this week's owners meetings in Arlington, Texas, multiple team owners and presidents told ESPN they hoped Manfred would levy heavy sanctions on the Astros if they're found to have cheated -- which could include individual suspensions for executives, losses of draft picks and international bonus slots, and a fine in excess of the maximum $2 million the league has applied for past infractions -- to deter others who might see the value in cheating.

The wariness toward the Astros has manifested across the game in unique ways. One American League starter, according to sources familiar with his routine, asked if he could pitch a game with his catcher not giving standard, between-the-legs signs. The pitcher instead wanted to communicate what he intended to throw with a series of jersey pulls, hat tugs, head shakes and glove placements. During this year's World Series, in which Washington defeated Houston in seven games, the Nationals came armed with five unique sign sequences for pitchers, ready to change them at any time, because they feared the Astros had a new method to steal them, sources said.

RayRay10 and whiskeyred like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

That's the whole purpose of an investigation. If you already had proof, you wouldn't need to investigate anything...

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well good. I hope the Astros throw out some baseless claims & MLB can go investigate the Nats, Yankees, Red Sox & Dodgers.

AB423, htwnbandit, phasors28 and 5 others like this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Of course we did it in the playoffs.

whiskeyred likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Unless you have some inside info into the investigation, your claim that the claims are baseless is baseless.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

It seems like there was already a half assed investigation into the Yankees and Red Sox electronically stealing signs that resulted in slaps on the wrist.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Sucks cause from now on any success we have will immediately be linked with cheating

Houstunna and phasors28 like this.
  15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Eh that’s not entirely true and the example is the Patriots of course. Caught red handed more then once “cheating” and they just went on and won more to the point where it’s now an afterthought.

If we go out and win more (another WS, maybe two) and it’ll be a footnote. Lose and yea it may follow us.....

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I reported it

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I liked the Andy Pettite and Bill Clinton angle which will be mlb's angle too, we only used it for three months, and definitely not in the playoffs. What a bunch of horseshiot though. The Astros have been doing this for a long time now and we all know it. Home, Road, Playoffs, and it just is what it is. And it worked. It really worked. That said, this is the way out of it. The Bill Clinton route always works too. I did it, but I didn't really do it. Case closed.

18. HTown2017Champs

Haven’t commented too much on this. But man this bothers the hell out of me. I love baseball, and I’ve always hated how everyone is like “oh, baseball, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers” as if they’re the only teams. Bias is real. Coastal elitism. They hate anything Mountain/Central time (minus Chicago of course), even though the Nats are not a “traditional power” they’re fine with them, because “East Coast” = huge market and huge $$$. Especially after what Yankee fan Manfred said, next to no chance this spreads to other teams even though I’m confident they’ve been doing something at least similar. Double standards. F the coastal elitists.
    Love my Astros forever but this is just so..... ugh. Really don’t know what to do if this (doing it in the playoffs, and beyond 2017) is confirmed. Following our Rockets more lately, even more furious by the back to back heartbreaking losses. Maybe I really care about sports way too much.

arkoe likes this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

MLB will ban everyone, whistle blowers always get punished the worst. Mike Fiers I believe his career is going to end, spilling locker room secrets.

MLB NBA are good at lying.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.