1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cybertruck - New Tesla Pickup Unveiling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why is Tesla not going for the Fleet market. This is a great opportunity to improve energy use and carbon reductions of city, govt fleets, and Fortune 100 fleets...etc. Probably why their stock took a dip.

Diagonal walls takes you out of Fleet Sales (imso), because they often depend upon adding utility extensions to the bed, right. I suppose a simple mod version to support standard utility designs can be made.

Right now, seems little chance that design gets a second look from fleet sales, which is arguably where Tesla could hurt Ford/GM/etc ... and truly impact carbon reductions of the nation. Talk about sustainability initiatives ... swapping out a gas gussling fleet for an electric one has significant impact.

------------------------------

Here's a reminder of how Cyber Truck would require new accessories like this camper top ... versus existing markets. Couldn't find utility extension images for fleets.

[​IMG]

What would probably annoy me as owner of one of those is inability to easily reach items in the truck bed from the side ... and my day workers couldn't sit on the side of the truck bed, either. :)

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You see this is where innovation comes in. I would develop a sliding bed system where you have like a treadmill belt that rolls stuff from the back to the front and vice versa. Obviously this isn't a work truck like a Ford super duty but look at the Raptor and it's high sales.

And you mentioned Fleet sales. This is the classic short sighted business mindset that keeps companies behind. Remember this? IMAGINE A PHONE WITH NO KEYBOARD!?!?!

3. Buck Turgidson

Great post. It's completely impractical for most uses that actually require a pickup truck, and your point about fleet sales is excellent.

Glad they're pushing the envelope though, maybe one of the big 3 will have a truck figured out by the time I need a new one in a few years.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Concerning fleet sales, I believe they are already in the process of pushing that.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I went from WTF! to liking it pretty quickly.

$50K (dual motor AWD) w/ standard autopilot along with that tech & acceleration is good value imo.

One of my brothers ordered one actually.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Straight out of Robocop 5.

tinman likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Not quite (yet) a fan of the styling but I may need this for my daily commute to/from work just for its 9mm bulletproof body!

CXbby likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

An electric truck with competive capacity and power is great innovation in itself.

Waiting for a secondary market to convert your truck into fleet use is unnecessary innovation. The electric truck is enough.

Maybe a lot of the missed Fleet market -- and reason for the design not having a distinction between Cab/Bed -- is because their drive train and batteries cross the boundary of normal Cab/Bed divide requiring a different chassis that can't be modified in ways someone like UHaul could use, anyhow -- for their smallest pickup chassis trucks -- or Electric Utility/Cable companies, etc.

#48 heypartner, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

For the person who said this isn't a truck.

View of truck bed :

Towing vs F150:

[​IMG]

sammy likes this.
  10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Exactly, it's not adding up. Super far out design and an epic fail on glass demonstration. No way those geeks allow that to happen. Musk has those engineers under more pressure than the group at Chernobyl right about now. I can imagine the panic in that room when the glass failed.

BamBam, whag00 and KingCheetah like this.
  11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Im intrigued but that raptor with the gt500 engine will be sick if the rumor is true.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sure looks like a hatchback to me. Kind of Suburu Outback-ish :D

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yall sound like the rednecks when Kaepernick came in as a rookie, crying about his tattoos, or Tom Brady weaing Ugg boots, because God forbid QB's weren't clean cut and wearing Wranglers. Lulz.

sammy likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hey if all you urban metrosexuals are happy with your small penises, that's your business. ;)

58668a745e52ce3981b741b7d6ef2527.jpg

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Couple things, that’s a base model ford in the video. Raptor isn’t made to tow and they come with the eco boost V6.
    The base model Tesla truck tows less than any base model halfton V8 pickup, the dual motor awd versions are nice but any towing package puts the gasoline engines slightly higher with more fuel range.
    The 3 motor awd is a beast, fuel range, towing capacity and they all have a nice payload. But that’s 70k starting price (nice gasoline trucks are around the same) and the truck itself is ugly

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Asian Sensation

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2003 called. It wants it’s demeaning terminology back.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Now that I kind of like

sammy and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

Good article on the engineering and design behind the cybertruck. As it turns out it doesn't look the way it does just for the sake of it. The most prohibitive part of electric vehicles is the cost of batteries. To compensate for that, they designed the truck to optimize for cost. They are using a stainless steel alloy used by Spacex rockets, without paint. This eliminates the need to build a paint shop during manufacturing, and for the user it is more durable (bullet proof) and won't have to worry about paint scratching. The most controversial design is the triangular form factor. They made it that way to eliminate the need for a stamping press during manufacturing, one of the most expensive equipments. Without a stamped and molded body, the vehicle would be structurally unstable. To solve for that they made the triangular structure for max stiffness.

At first glance this thing definitely looks strange, but it is the result of extreme optimization of utility and cost. It sacrificed form in order to meet or exceed a traditional trucks capabilities, while remaining highly competitive in price. And the form even grows on you after a while.

Deckard, pgabriel and Hakeemtheking like this.