1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

NBA Legends On How Good Hakeem Olajuwon Was

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Nov 19, 2019.

1. macan

macan Member

2. AggieRocketFan96

Surprised he didn’t include Dr J’s interview about what single player would you start with as your franchise player

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean... he was aite. he can't dance.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What is this nonsense? You aren't @tinman ! Only he can live in both the present and the 1990s.

dkim1984, D-rock and tinman like this.
  5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

The Dream had cat like quickness that was unseen at the time in a big man.

His series verse the Spurs was Dream telling everyone that he could do anything to anybody anytime.

He evolved each season as a player and as a man.

Legend

6. Remlap

Remlap Member

[Hakeem voice] - "UNBEATABLE!"

RayRay10, D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

His pogo stick jumping ability was amazing too.

D-rock likes this.
  8. SemisolidSnake

The Wilt Chamberlain Archive on Youtube is the best video archive out there of video of Wilt and other legends of his time. Great resource to check out for context given all these Harden-Wilt comparisons of the past couple years.

And I wonder if we shouldn't start a Hakeem Olajuwon Archive. There are clips scattered here and there around Youtube but no one place to find them all. Nor is there a place that puts together videos using those clips to clearly demonstrate the unique characteristics of a player's game. The Wilt Archive does an excellent job of that.

Down here, we all know Hakeem is a legend among legends, but few outside here do. In fact, many of us here don't even fully comprehend the greatness. I was 10 when we won the first championship. I knew I was watching someone special, but I still couldn't appreciate it then like I'd be able to now. Hakeem, much like Wilt, is kind of a mysterious figure in the history of the NBA despite having done many things that will never be replicated while having universally-known NBA greats giving him the highest praise possible.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2 Championship banners at Toyota Center
    2 championship trophies in some old bastards house in Florida
    A church emerged where we he played
    A basketball board that is superior to all was created because he did what he did

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Good timing for this thread. I just learned this morning that Hakeem is buying my friend's house, just a few doors down from my childhood home in Sugar Land. My buddy sent me a pic of him and Dream standing on the driveway where we used to shoot hoops. :eek:

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I bet they are all 99’ers @tinman

#11 Roc Paint, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I just feel fortunate enough that I was able to watch him play in the Summit. Definitely the best player I ever got to see play in person. Also, and I'll say it again, no one questions Houston taking Hakeem over Jordan. The joke was Portland's pick and then doing it again and passing on Durant... If I was a fan of that franchise..... Ouch.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good find. I appreciate you sharing. I really enjoyed it.

macan likes this.
  14. omgTHEpotential

The real pioneer of the one-legged fadeaway

dkim1984 likes this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

The Mandalorian is going to address baby Olajuwon this week.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It would hella fun to be that tall, athletic, and skilled to play in one single nba game. Hella fun

17. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure what my NBA fandom would have turned out like had I not started as an 8 year old watching him at the Hof...going from a freakishly athletic raw kid to a decade later being one of the most polished offensive players in history. He was just a joy to grow up with, even in the few downish years b/t 86 and 92 he was must watch basketball.

Easily my all time favorite Houston athlete.

Meh, don't know what the big deal is, all those moves are pretty easy when you're 12 and in your driveway going 3/4 speed with nobody guarding you.

CCity Zero, tinman and BaselineFade like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No other player in history has influenced a superior fan to create a site for superior fans