1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What actually above average shooters are available before the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Nov 20, 2019.

1. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Its called hitting the lottery and letting yourself go.

He got his big pay day and basically gave up.

Houstunna and Sanctity like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You guys do know he had a girlfriend who committed suicide, right? Watching Ryno spiral was painful to me too as a Rockets fan, but damn,man! That's a little insensitive.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

PJ and House don't get enough respect around here considering the volume of threes they make and their percentages. They're both plus defenders too. We're lucky to have them.

Y2JT likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think offense is the issue with this team. I rather bring in above average defenders who might be able to hit 2-3 3s a night than a bonafide shooter. This way, if the shots aren't falling for us at least we can rely on our defense to keep us in the games.

Y2JT likes this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for this list. With what could possibly be available, I may be willing to take on a shooter for spot minutes. Bmac is getting a lot of minutes and his defense has been below average. I could live with a below average defender in spurts if I know that I have knock down shooter available when teams double Harden or collapse on Russ.

It's tough for me because I'm a defense first guy, but as you and others have noted there isn't much out there that we can match salary wise. I keep bringing up Bjelica because he would at least give is some decent minutes as a back up, he's been consistently over 40% from 3 over the past 3 years, and he has a decent basketball IQ. He may even be a pipe dream, but at least he could provide what Ryno was supposed to provide if not more.

Maybe Morey can find a diamond in the rough in Europe with a similar skill set but I know that isn't likely either. Even when fully healthy I still feel like we are at least one player away.

Houstunna and harold bingo like this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

That would be nice but who can we afford that can do that consistently?

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

sounds great. but how do we get said player(s) instead of LTS

8. JackLordsHair66

Yeah we are kinds screwed at this point I fear, Morey can only work so much magic and our assets aren’t all that desirable at the moment other than letting go of a key player... the 3 pt shooting last night(outside of Harden) was pretty dreadful losing House didn’t help but it seemed like every single Denver player was able to hit a 3 or two at key moments last night. I wish I felt this would improve with this team but against better defiance teams that are going to commit to double teaming Harden we are in trouble I fear!!

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I definitely think Mclemore can be replaced/improved. It seems like he is supposed to be a replacement for Gerald but he just isn't. I think you're right that he sucks at defense, so if you're willing to have a guy in there who can't defend and is only there to jack up shots with reckless abandon, I think we can do better than Mclemore. Bjelica or Bertans seem like they could fit here, I wonder if either are available.

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

until tilman can prove otherwise, these are the type of guys hou is going to continue to see on their bench. imagine if rivers didn't surprise us all and turned down min and accepted his higher offers elsewhere

11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Yes I'm very aware but he had multiple streaks of games where he was on a roll scoring close to or over 30 a game throughout his seasons as a Rocket. So I thought he'd gotten over it with the announcement of a new fiance'.

12. JackLordsHair66

Yupnnor a fan of Tillman at all dude runs his mouth a lot but the moves he’s made thus far as have been unimpressive, we get lulled to sleepnas fans when James goes hypersonic but last night an a few of the earlier games are what we will see against the better deeper teams and it’s not promising. Yes we are down Ego (who we have to hope can come back and play into form quickly) and House but I’m not convinced they I’ll be enough against the better teams and the West and East. Rivers as much as I like his play generally has really shot the 3 poorly for several games now like really poorly and Mclemore is what he is, nothing special couple that with PJ having to do too much defensively and no other real threats than a 5’9” Clemons and it just doesn’t feel good against these better teams we will start seeing in the schedule and playoffs

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You never "get over" losing someone close to you to suicide. It's always there. Jesus.

14. steddinotayto

Defense is more about effort than about actual skill. If the guy can hit an occasional 3 then that's all for the better. That being said, I'm sure there are younger, hungrier, more athletic guys that you can pick off of a G-League team that can give you that kind of effort versus going back to the well of Thabo, Mbah Moute, etc. We've ran unproven kids out there before (most recently House) to a level of success and while that's not the type of model I'd like for Morey to continually use (bank on G League diamonds) I much prefer this route vs wasting roster space on old vets that can't contribute jack.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

but then we have harden specifically saying this isn't something he prefers. "having too many young guys" " we have more vets now". he made it clear in the stephen A smith interview about what he thought they were lacking.

16. Fantasma Negro

He'd be coming off the bench primarily to score, stop trying to diminish his ability. He'd have Sefo and Hartenstein on the court so he would just have to move his man towards the help. Beasley would be perfect, I miss him

17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I think Lance Stevenson still has game and can be had prior to the last quarter of the season.

jcmoon likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

I guess that's probably why he's okay with scoring 40+ a night because the vets that were signed over the summer haven't produced much. I love Harden but he has to remember that Clint and Danuel were once "young guys" that eventually panned out while "vets" like MCW, Ennis, Thabo, etc. are just riding pine.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's tough bc when i heard that, I was like well then you gotta be fine with fringe players that are going to be up and down more often than not. If you obviously prefer not to have that many young guys play significant minutes like he said.

what do you do at this point. you have harden wanting vets while Tilman has his LTS agenda

20. BreakYoSelfFool

We should just get the highest 3pt percentage on the list. There's a guy listed shooting 66% from 3...

harold bingo likes this.