1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons & Zach Lowe - Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast - James Harden Episode

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Patience, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I didn’t see it posted, but please lock/merge if so.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/11/1...0-james-harden-and-the-pyramid-with-zach-lowe

Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe devoted an entire episode of the “Book of Basketball 2” podcast to James Harden and his place in the “pantheon” of great basketball players. I thought it was a very thorough, and mostly positive, evaluation of his career to date. Other than the usual snark about strip clubs and defense, I didn’t completely object to their evaluation. Definitely worth a listen.

Some key points:

-James Harden’s stats are unquestionably historic

-James Harden has been very durable, which makes his impact that much greater

-Harden got a reputation for being a poor defender early on, but has actually improved a great deal

-Harden was ranked something like #36 all-time on the list, but Simmons made a point to say Harden is only 30, and could move up a lot if he continues this way for many more years, and/or wins a championship or performs really well in a Finals series

-Zach Lowe pointed out that Harden has great stats, but they are not empty. You can basically put any four guys around Harden, and it’s a 50 win team

-The Harden trade is one of the biggest “what if” events ever, in that it broke up a team with 3 future MVPs all very young in age. Obviously, it was a terrible trade for the Thunder, which Lowe and Simmons said even at the time.

-Harden is still missing a “signature” playoff game or moment that would help his case for being an all time great (I agree to some extent)

-Simmons is convinced Harden was concussed for the last two games of the Spurs series

Anyway, it’s worth a listen, even if there are one or two eye rolls. For the most part, it was a pretty fair evaluation, and it was just exciting to hear an entire hour and fifteen minutes of Zach Lowe (and Simmons to some extent ;)) analyzing the Rockets’ best player.

#1 Patience, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    DreamShook, BigMaloe, Roomba and 17 others like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

BigMaloe, Deuce, ParaSolid and 5 others like this.
  3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

All of these have been good, even the Curry pod where they just suck his dick for an hour... Still a good listen.

Patience likes this.
  4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The one about Shaq was pretty good too, even though I haaaated that Lakers team.

5. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I listened to this and I enjoyed it. Another thing they talked about that you didn't mention is how few minutes Harden has played in close playoff games. He has less minutes in his career than some guys have in one playoff run. It's not something I noticed but after they mention it and you think about it, it's definitely true, and probably a contributor to his "never had a playoff moment" thing.

Patience and Deuce like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not sure I am going to listen. But I really enjoyed you pulling out the bullet points. I might listen now that you gave a primer on it. The bullet points are fair. And I appreciated Simmons felt that Harden was concussed in the Spurs series.

Patience likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Also talks about how the Thunder are the only team in NBA history to give up 2-3 possible titles just because they didn't want to pay the luxury tax.

Tilman Fertitta says: "Hold my beer."

Der Rabbi and Deuce like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No comments from Rockets fans on referring to Harden as “Guard Malone”?

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Thought it was an interesting comp. Especially the statistical dominance and all time great in their way.

As a Rockets fan I feel like Harden’s peak has clearly been higher than what Malone reached.

And as I posted this I had to go check where Malone landed on the all time win shares list..... 3rd..... damn

BigMaloe and BaselineFade like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If only cc had half the billing of Forward Stockton

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

New The Book of Basketball Podcast featuring Daryl Morey

Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey joins HBO and The Ringer’s Bill Simmons in this episode of Book of Basketball 2.0 to discuss the James Harden trade, signing Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, and falling just short of beating the Golden State Warriors in the 2018 Western Conference finals.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/11/2...-0-daryl-morey-breaks-down-james-harden-trade

Patience and Vivi like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tough to listen to. I still am not over the 2018 Warriors series. The pain is real.