1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabo Sefalosha

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RichieBanks, Jul 17, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He overrates Thabo but you underrate him. By every metric available he's still a positive contributor. Basketball reference, ESPN RPM, CARMELO, the Draymond rating...

Chamillionaire likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. ive said hes not an every night rotational player. if you dont agree with that, then we will never agree on this topic. hes also no where near elite defensively. if you want him as the 10th or more player sure, get him at min. other than that no thanks and taking iggy over him is just insane

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think he does still have a similar impact as Iggy on D, all of his defensive metrics say so. He averages more blocks and steals then Iggy does minute adjusted, his DPM, DPRM are all still elite and up to par with his younger seasons.

I don’t think ball handling is a weakness for us, rebounding and defense were our weaknesses last season. With Paul/Harden and now WB/Harden our offense has been ran 48 minutes of elite passing and offense.

I think we just disagree here, I don’t think I’m overrating Thabo, I think you, and many others are underating how great of a piece he would be on this team, especially for the vet min.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can use all the defensive metrics in the world and it still doesn't measure what defense truly is. people who constantly just use numbers and act like its tells the story are fooling themselves. the defense discussions are always off bc people think they can post stls, blks, drtg and oh that means it defines what defense is in a player.

ball handling sure is a weakness. how many times at the end of games have the rockets just flustered. why? bc they have a limited number of ball handlers. why are offenses alot more versatile and open up more options on offense? bc they let more than 1 or 2 guys who are capable handle the ball and create. it's a constant pressure of different looks and options.

yeah you can be happy with wb/harden handling the ball for 48 minutes bc the rockets are forced to. its not like you have a choice bc there aren't any other options anyway lol. rivers is probably the next closest thing

5. RichieBanks

RichieBanks Member

Exactly

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I’m not acting like it tells the whole story, but it does tell a part of it. I’ve seen the man play, he’s very good defensively.

We disagree. It’s okay to disagree on stuff sometimes.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

And I've seen him play also. at this stage he isn't

yep we disagree

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

noah did play pretty well. he was / is expecting more than the minimum. hasn't got it yet though.

as far as cunningham / jerebko being better than clark, i have no idea. i only know they are more experienced and have succeeded with the spurs and warriors. both are good shooters, cunningham is a solid defender. clark hasn't proven anything outside of summer league and g league so even though he looks promising i'd still bring in 1 vet as insurance. either clark is the 3rd string or he passes the vet for the second string. cunningham and jerebko can be bumped out of the rotation if clark earns it. but if he doesn't we'll be happy we have one of them.

Chamillionaire, saleem and justtxyank like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

also a good point, but its a complex minutes distribution that was too time consuming for me to type up. lets try something like that though. lets assume harden-tucker-house split all the minutes at F, and rus-ego-rivers split all the guard minutes:

C - capela (30), chandler (12), tucker (6)
    PF - tucker (26), harden (16), house (6)
    SF - harden (20), house (12), gordon (16)
    SG - gordon (14), rivers (12), green (22)
    PG - westbrook (36), rivers (12)

so accounting for the smallball lineups of harden-house at the 4 and tucker at the 5, we still have 22 minutes remaining but, yes, freed then up on the wing for green or a FA like sefolosha. a FA SF like sefalosha would also push gordon's minutes at the 3 back down to the 2.

but now consider what we do during the 30 games that chandler doesn't play. where do we find 34 minutes at the 4/5? tucker, ego and house would be asked to increase their minutes more that we'd like. and tucker/harden/house would have to play small ball more than they should:

C - capela (30), tucker (18)
    PF - tucker (18), harden (18), house (12)
    SF - harden (18), gordon (18), house (12)
    SG - gordon (18), rivers (18), green (12)
    PG - westbrook (36), rivers (12)

this raised tuckers minutes from 32 to 36. house from 18 to 24. gordon from 30 to 36. rivers from 24 to 30. we can also see the increase in tucker-harden-house playing the 4/5.

ideally we need a combo 4/5 that can play 22mpg with chandler and up to 30mpg without. no one worth those minutes will sign for the minimum so if we can get a 3rd string center to play chandler's 12 minutes, and a backup PF to play the remaining 22 that would be more realistic.

jakedasnake likes this.
  10. macan

macan Member

let's just get Luc Ma Booty and call it a day

HP3 likes this.
  11. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Past two years hes shot 38 and 43 %from 3 while playing decent defense.I wont mind him playing 10 minutes off the bench .

RichieBanks likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Gesundheit!

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Iggy isn’t bigger though.

Thabo weighs more
    Thabo is taller
    Thabo has a longer wingspan
    Thabo has a higher rebound %
    Thabo has a higher block %

So I’m almost every sense, Thabo is the bigger player, and Thabo is more likely to be able to hold his own at the 4 over Iggy. Neither Iggy or Thabo are like Tuck though, Tuck is 245 and has the center of gravity to physically hold most centers.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to championship level basketball it is very clear that these two players are universes apart, imo. Thabo even at the height of his career was still not as good as Playoff Andre Iguodala is right now. Thabo has never in his life been as important to a team as Andre has been to his for over a decade. Never, ever, not once, unless he is playing for the Swiss National Team or something.

D-rock and RichieBanks like this.
  15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

For the minimum? Sure

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

... So? I was replying to a post pointing out Thabo is bigger than Iggy. If you're trying to compare the two, I can say I'd still rather have Thabo for the vet min then trade picks for Iggy with his 17 mill + 20 mill lux tax pretty easily.

If we're talking about Iggy vs Thabo for the vet min, that's another discussion we can have later if Iggy is bought out, but in that case, we're just talking about our vet mins here guys. We can sign both for the min for all I care, we need depth, injuries happen. The one thing I can say in an actual comparison of the two is I'd be more comfortable with Thabo's 3ball in our system then Iggy's. Iggy is the better overall player and can be relied upon to play a lot more minutes though.

Also, Thabo, of course, was NEVER close to the player Iggy was, I'm clearly not arguing that. Iggy was an all-star and posted multiple 18-5-5 seasons. Thabo wasn't trash though, he was a really solid role player, he was a big piece for OKC during their runs with KD, he started in OKC RS and playoffs for 5 years, was one of the best wing defenders in the league, made an all team defense team and developed a decent enough 3 ball.

17. Chamillionaire

I think it's between Shump and Thabo for the vet min. I'd personally be fine with either or both of them, but looks like to me we're not signing anybody until buyouts.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Thabo is not good. not surprised by how bad he looks on the floor. its been that way since the start of the year

bro2044 and Tfor3 like this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Thabo is not a rotation player at all, he can't run on a fast break or knows how to shoot 3s.

Why. didn't Isaiah play, Chris Clemons is a better shooter than Austin Rivers and better at creating shots for others.

bro2044 likes this.
  20. TheSource

TheSource Member

FWIW Thabo had the highest +/- on the rockets tonight :D