1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuraGotMadHops

This is absolutely maddening. What the actual f***?????!!!!!

This has been identified as a league wide issue but MLB is going to only investigate one team??? They are going to drop the hammer on Houston to use us an example to get everyone else to stop doing it too, this is complete bs. F*** Mike Fiers.

#541 SuraGotMadHops, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    marks0223 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

From reports, they were already well aware of the trash can banging in 2017.

At this point, it’s about whether or not the Astros used any illegal measures beyond that, including this year.

to that end, yes... the focus is entirely on the Astros.

3. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

4. CinematicFusion

Yep. Red Sox and Yankees cheated and got caught in 2017. They got caught late in the year. Articles came out in Sept. 2017. So if the Astros cheated before Sept. 17 and not after....they should be slapped on the wrist just like the Red Sox and Yankees.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  5. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

6. SS0101

SS0101 Member

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm kind of hoping that the Astros have evidence of other teams stealing signs electronically with their counter surveillance. If Manfred wants to ban Luhnow he should let him know that it will all be released to the media.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. CinematicFusion

League found insufficient evidence and fined them for using a bullpen phone. But...the league is never going to go down hard on their two Cash Cows.

I think Astros should get same slap on the wrist if what they did happened before Sept. 2017.
    However, if the Astros continued to cheat into 2018/19 after MLB said they would come down hard on the next cheater......be prepared for Hinch to be banned for cheating.
    MLB will come down hard.

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Here's Manfred's problem, he knows that it extends beyond us. He's burying himself by saying that. If you don't think that the Houston people are doing their due diligence then you're crazy.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Prepare for the Astros to be forced to be sold, will be moved to Portland, will have all ties to Houston vacated along with all titles and retired numbers.

Wiped from existence.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Manfred can’t say “hey, this is a league-wide problem” even though it almost assuredly is. The fact that anonymous players have said that other teams use camera equipment is not something he can ignore when he assesses punishment. His comments on the topic are typical PC headlines and aren’t substantive.

We can rest assured that, even though we were caught, Astros FO will fight hard for a fair punishment in light of what the league as a whole is allowing.

I highly doubt the fans media reaction is a legitimate driving force in terms of punishment. That is extremely irrational and I would be disappointed in the league if that were a precedent the league is choosing to set.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Has manfred ever had a clear and concise answer to anything since his promotion to commissioner? Im being serious, the guy is a joke and from what I can think back, he has not. From juiced balls to hacking to previously caught cheating teams. The guy seems to be a turnstile on how teams and policies run through him.

awc713 likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

it’s hard to get worse than selig...damn near impossible feat. Manfred is surely pushing it though.

#553 awc713, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

It is definitely a league wide problem.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

What's interesting to me is that the actual stealing of signs isn't the issue, nor is the banging of the trash cans. If you think about it, banging a trash can to relay a message is pretty creative, and a bit funny. But no, it's none of that, it's solely the matter of using a camera. It almost feels like all of that is being intertwined to create this huge "scandal" which seems in itself to be a superfluous use of the word. They violated an MLB rule, not commit a criminal act like hacking private computer systems or using illegal substances. They used a camera instead of their own eyes to steal signs.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, the technology aspect is seemingly the entire sticking point. I’m absolutely certain other teams are doing it, but someone’s going to have to take a fall to set precedent, and you can bet the punishment will be fairly heavy. I’m not real worried about it. Pay the price and move forward!

RustyHarden likes this.
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Like I mentioned earlier, let Manfred dig his own grave. @Nook you know what I am talking about lol

Nook likes this.
  18. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I'm expecting a heavy fine and loss of draft picks at this point. Would be suprised if our GM or coach are banned

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What are you talking about? My curiosity is up.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, it is being blown out of proportion.

Never forget the Red Sox had an entire system of stealing signs and using technology.

It wasn't a big deal, at least not at this level. The issue with the Astros is that they beat the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers that year and the latter two fanbases are pissy that the Astros blocked their teams from winning a WS and they are loud and obnoxious fanbases that are making some wild demands.

htwnbandit, RayRay10 and phasors28 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.