1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[The Ringer] It’s Never Been Easier to Score 50 Points in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They should change their name to The Rimmer.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

why because it's physically impossible?
    or no one thought of doing it before?

3. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone is so sensitive lol. Unless any article declares Harden as the GOAT it is seen as hate. I guess this is where the negative media coverage has gotten us.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The latter.

Math wasn't exploited at much. A big man's league. Slower pace - 94/95 pace was 92.9 possessions per game, compared to the 101.9 so far this year, so almost 10 possessions a game, coaches wouldn't have allowed it, lack of a ton of amazing 3 point shooters would have made spacing difficult, etc.

There were players that would occasionally jack a lot of threes in an individual game, but it was a rarity, and never done consistently. Like one year Michael Adams of the 90/91 Nuggets randomly shot 8.5 threes a game (Vernon/Mad Max was second)... no idea why though, he shot under 30% and the Nuggets offense was a bottom third team. But even with that it was far and away Adam's best scoring year... he went from being a 15-18 ppg scorer to putting up 26.5 per game that year.

Thunder Dan starting taking a lot in volume at a good percentage, John Starks, Hardaway, Blalock, etc. But even Reggie never shot more than 6.6 a game, and Ray Allen never more than 8.4 a game (even though he played until just 7 years ago). Sure, those guys were typically more come of screen guys than create themselves. AI topped at 6 his rookie year - he trended down cause everyone realized he couldn't really shoot. Kobe topped at 7 his final year. TMac topped at 7.7 a year.

Without question, Harden is even unique by today's standards. His 14.6 per game right now is a full 5 a game (about 33%) higher than Buddy Hield's 9.7, Buddy being in second place.

So could Harden have led the league in 3PA/g - sure. Would it have been 14.6 a game - of course not... he's nearly lapping himself from just a few years ago.

And, all that aside, the article was about the league overall, not Harden - or just Harden. A full 33 players shoot at least 6 a game. 57 players shoot at least 5 a game. In 2001/2002, three players shot at least 6 a game, and 11 at least 5.

gotsis and BaselineFade like this.
  5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Didn't read. All I know for sure is I've never seen a player make scoring 30+ practically every night look so easy. That's not a knock against him in my book, but for others it apparently is.

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

stating that 50 point games are much easier to have now would imply that what Harden’s doing isn’t as impressive as u would think...another version of “Harden wouldn’t be nearly as good in the 90s”

if Harden averages 40 this year, they will try to downplay it...they already did that with his 36 ppg last year saying how guys like Curry could do the same...even T-Mac had the nerve to open his mouth and claim that he could do similar in today’s NBA

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tmac probably also thinks that he could go past the first round in today's NBA.

Smacktle and vlaurelio like this.
  8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I see. The article addressed Booker, Irving and Russell as well. I thought it was more about today's players as a whole. I didn't think it was specific to Harden. But he is the elephant in the room.

Reeko likes this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I wish the Lakers continued sucking for the entire next decade.

It's so dumb that a team that incompetent can be rewarded with Lebron + AD just for their location alone.

Now everywhere besides Clutchfans is basically filled with Lakers highlights and articles, it's annoying af to see.

And it seems everything not talking about the Lakers will be downplaying what Houston is doing.

clutchdabear and pippendagimp like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Let's remove Wilt since he had a big percentage of those 50-point games."

Then they don't even try the data with Harden removed. :rolleyes:

#30 topfive, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Nook, D-rock, Astrodome and 1 other person like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I won't believe other players can do what Harden's doing until other players actually begin to do it.

Smacktle, D-rock, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  12. JackLordsHair66

Thinly disguised “may article has no relevancy” move there ... As someone above said, Harden is the elephant in he room when it comes to offensive performances the mast several years, there will always be a “Yeah but” coming from almost all the in the know “basketball purists”. The one argument I have a difficult time with is the fact that he has come down to Earth in the playoffs to an extent. Yes the supporting cast has been suspect at times, and he has had to face osibly the greatest team ever in the Warriors.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

RayRay10, Smacktle, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol 3s then were even easier since they moved it closer for a while for MJ to not suck at it so badly

clutchdabear and vlaurelio like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I blame Osma bin Laden for Harden hate, he so eerily similar to harden

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

The timing of the article is weird, too. If this article had come out the day after a random veteran or a fresh-faced 2nd round rookie scored 50, then it'd make people actually think about the title.

But it's still very early in the season and (ironically) Harden has been the closest one to 50, this season. So I don't know what the point of the article is.

D-rock, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

ESPN did a piece on Paul George 37 pt last night. LMAO. Harden scores 30+ points in a half on a regular basis. These guys ... All Harden needed is a title to shut them up and be placed among the gods of Gods in basketball.

18. macan

macan Member

they need to discredit Harden's high scoring early..to clear a path for lebrick's MVP narrative.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

On time-adjusting stats: people always neglect to mention that Chamberlain averaged for his career 46 minutes per game. Those guys in the 60's all played over 40 minutes, which obviously boosted their numbers.

D-rock, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It's because of the amount of shots he took to get his 37. I've noticed the same thing today. PG will be built up as the anti Harden and the media will eat it up. This article doesn't bash Harden but I see where this narrative is going.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ints-in-20-minutes-in-blowout-win-over-hawks/

The media is down right giddy about PG's return and his "efficiency" and what he and Kawhi could potentially accomplish. A lot of fans and media just want Harden and the Rockets to just go away.

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.