1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why You Love Mayor Pete

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deckard, The Real Shady and B-Bob like this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

When Mayor Pete talks he puts people on some sort of hypnosis because it all sounds so good and logic. Nevertheless, he's going to be better and there are likely things in his past that will take some of that new shine.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Long interesting article about Mayor Pete's history and a sort of detailed review of his autobiographical book which is reminiscent of the Obama autobiography. . Pete has all the usual meritocratic badges Harvard, Rhodes Scholar and talks sort of generically progressive, -- is even gay-- but forgets to really mention poor folks. Seems like he should compete for Beto slice of the electorate. Is getting quite a bit of money and publicity.
    https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

ryan_98 and Deckard like this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deckard and vlaurelio like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IMO, Buttigieg has a very legit shot. He plays the game well, so the establishment types won't freak out about him like Sanders or Warren, and he's not a gaffe factory like Grandpa Joe.

Among the remaining field, I imagine he is the candidate that "the Party establishment" would be happiest with, if it seems like the electorate are getting behind him.

Deckard, Jayzers_100, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't love Mayor Pete, but I like him just fine. He's safe. He's also groundbreaking and allows people to pat themselves on the back for how accepting they are.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's the candidate Democrats need, if not love

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A progressive without progressive baggage. As far as appearance he does standout as being grounded patient and even keeled during debates.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's definitely not the candidate that Democrats need but he's probably the one that independents need. I will not be voting for him in the primary but I certainly will be voting for him if he's in the final.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mayor Pete talks in complete sentences. That’s a good look for a President.

Deckard, mdrowe00, Amiga and 3 others like this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He is the polar opposite of Trump (other than race).
    So that's nice.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He seems fine in a post-Trump electoral world. We just need to find out which non-traditional leadership demographic (educated and professionally and intellectually assertive women, Jews, gays, multiple blacks in overlapping or immediate succession) provincial and exclusionary whites are the most anxious of in defense of their sense of order or their children's sexual conformity.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I held my nose and voted for Sanders in the Primary over Clinton because I knew Clinton was a weak leader even though she was far superior on policy than Sanders.

Sanders is far too impractical and will never unite the Democratic party, neither will Warren. If they are the nominee, the country will swing back to the right as soon as they are elected and start their agenda.

Buttigieg can unite the Democrat coalition - something that only Biden could do if had he not shot himself in the foot. With Buttigieg, Dems would carry the Senate as he would have the trust of centrists not just leftists like yourself. And thanks to Mitch McConnell's going nuclear, Dems could have an easy time quickly reversing and implementing an agenda to bring this country back on track and make the last four years just a passing nightmare.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. CometsWin

Centrists are why we're in the ****ed up place we are in right now with enormous wealth inequality, a for profit health care system that screws the whole country, and unbelievable corporate and political corruption. Obama was a centrist and he got 8 years of obstruction of his middle of the road agenda by right wing lunatics. If Pete were to win a Presidency he'd be immediately labeled a sodomist small town mayor with an extremist liberal agenda. You have no idea who you're dealing with.

We're basically down to a battle of executive orders, executive power, and court packing. That's where America will be until the filibuster is dealt with or we have a legitimate third party.

#14 CometsWin, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    FrontRunner and Invisible Fan like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Centrist did not cut rich people's taxes. I think you have your history a bit off.

Last time we had a leftist was Jimmy Carter - didn't work out so well. I rather not repeat that.

16. CometsWin

Centrist voters put Bush and Trump in the White House. Massive tax cuts for the rich followed.

I'd prefer any liberal over Reagan and the 40 years of idealogical nonsense that has us here right now. Reagan is the flashpoint for American oligarchy and that is also on the centrist voter's resume.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think you are confusing centrists democrats with swing voters

joshuaao, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Even against Trump, a democratic nominee won't win without enthusiastic support from African American voters. Mayor Pete is simply not going to get that. Nominating him would be electoral suicide, but watch the establishment go on and do it anyway.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not sure if posted previously, but Mayor Pete has a unique appeal to moderate Republicans. (via America's finest news source) :D

Ubiquitin and dharocks like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That’s what She said...