1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tobias Harris Turning Into $180 Million Scapegoat For Philadelphia 76ers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Bryan Toporek Contributor SportsMoney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlqzlbBorfA

When the Philadelphia 76ers signed Tobias Harris to a five-year, $180 million contract this summer, they did so knowing he likely wouldn't provide commensurate on-court value.

Harris performed at a near-All-Star level last season with the Sixers and Los Angeles Clippers, averaging a career-high 20.0 points on 48.7 percent shooting, 7.9 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.9 triples across all 82 games. However, he isn't and won't ever be a full-fledged superstar like LeBron James or Kawhi Leonard, yet the Sixers paid him as though he was.

That contract has turned Harris into a hot rod for criticism in the early portion of the 2019-20 season, especially in the wake of his recent cold streak from deep.

Heading into Friday's game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, Harris has missed each of his last 23 three-pointers. His last made three came in the first quarter of the Sixers' 114-109 road loss to the Phoenix Suns on Nov. 4.

Many of the threes Harris bricked over that stretch were rhythm catch-and-shoot jumpers, which the Sixers should be actively encouraging him to take.

He's missed a handful of pull-up threes early in the shot clock as well, which are far less ideal. But given the Sixers' dearth of reliable long-range shooters, they're perhaps a necessary evil to deter opponents from packing the paint every trip down the floor.

Harris drilled 39.7 percent of his 393 three-point attempts last season with the Sixers and Clippers, but he's at only 20.4 percent (10-of-49) through 11 games this year. The nadir came in the Sixers' 98-97 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday, when he finished 0-of-11 from deep and 4-of-17 overall in 33 minutes.

Midway through the third quarter of that game, Harris turned down a wide-open three to instead drive into the lane and pass to Ben Simmons on the baseline. However, Cavs big man Kevin Love sniffed it out and planted his feet right outside the charge circle, drawing an offensive foul on Harris.

After the game, Sixers head coach Brett Brown told reporters that Harris had a stomach bug and wasn't sure if he'd be able to suit up that night, according to Kyle Neubeck of PhillyVoice. That likely explains his lackluster outing against the Orlando Magic the following night, too. (He finished with eight points on 4-of-13 shooting, including 0-of-3 from deep, in 31 minutes.)

If Harris continues to shoot this poorly from deep—or pass up wide-open shots like he did against Cleveland in the third quarter—the Sixers' spacing woes will become that much more pronounced. But considering his career track record, it's reasonable to expect him to regress positively to the mean, particularly once he fully recovers from his stomach bug.

Frankly, the Sixers need him to, especially after losing JJ Redick in free agency to the New Orleans Pelicans.

"I look at Tobias as, kind of, my new J.J.," head coach Brett Brown told NBA.com's John Schuhmann. "I want him really hunting threes. I want him thinking that way."

In the meantime, Harris does deserve credit for finding ways to make an impact on offense despite his errant three-point stroke.

Against Phoenix, he and Simmons displayed promising chemistry in two-man actions where Simmons set a screen on Harris' defender and freed him up for mid-range jumpers. With Suns center Aron Baynes playing drop coverage to hang close to the rim, Harris repeatedly pulled up for easy buckets.

Harris and Horford have run such sets with similar results.

On the year, Harris has knocked down seven of his 12 attempts between 16 feet away from the basket and the three-point arc. He's also 10-of-21 from between 10-16 feet.

Since Simmons has yet to unfurl the jumper he worked on throughout the summer, the Sixers will need Harris and Josh Richardson to serve as primary pick-and-roll creators. If Simmons, Horford or Joel Embiid set good screens for them, they'll either get wide-open mid-range jumpers against centers playing drop coverage or will create an open lane to the hoop if the opposing bigs come out to the perimeter.

The Sixers' biggest challenge with Harris is figuring out how to make him work in tandem with Embiid.

When the big man sat out against the Detroit Pistons with a sprained ankle in the Sixers' second game of the season, Harris erupted for a season-high 29 points on 10-of-15 shooting, including 4-of-6 from deep. His only two other 20-point outings (against Portland and Phoenix) both came with Embiid sidelined as well.

In games that Embiid has both started and finished—in other words, not counting the Minnesota game he left early—Harris has yet to top 15 points this season. While Embiid will rightfully remain the Sixers' focal point on offense when active, the Sixers need Harris to ascend into a consistent No. 2 scoring option alongside him.

The Sixers still have 71 games to work out their offensive kinks, and head coach Brett Brown told reporters Wednesday that he doesn't expect them to "find a rhythm beat to what we're doing" until past Christmas. But if Harris can't snap his cold streak from deep and/or carve out a bigger role on offense, his bloated $180 million contract will cause Philadelphia fans to turn on him much like they did with Andre Iguodala in the late 2000s.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryant...capegoat-for-philadelphia-76ers/#78e90b501c1e

sammy likes this.
  2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

What's funny is that Brand laughed his ass off talking about how bad Chris Paul's contract was, and he ended up giving the same amount of money to Tobias freaking Harris, lulz.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

He’s been horrible. That contract is horrendous. Guys like Tobias Harris and Jaylen Brown should be thanking their agents every day.

5. Nook

Nook Member

So basically they dealt all their assets and spent their cap space trying to fit a square peg through a round hole and now are upset that they are not quite good enough and really cannot fix the issue through the trade market.

They are paying to non starts (Horford and Harris) $300,000,000 the next 5 years.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yep, but TH is a better player than this version of CP3 and younger.

On a squad of bricklayers, he is still their best chance of shooting.

Gordon will bounce back and so would he.......likely.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

I don't think it's necessarily his fault. I just think they did a terrible job of building that roster. They overloaded their starting 5, which is an odd mix of players but talented nonetheless and were left little wiggle room for their bench. The team went star-chasing too early in their rebuild and now they have no assets.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think he's better than current version of Chris Paul, just healthier.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Would have been better off giving Butler the 5th year and keeping Landry Shamet etc

BaselineFade and Nook like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I disagree, i'd still take Chris Paul over Tobias Harris as today and i'm not joking. It's not like Harris is a bad player, but he's literally a budget Melo, not a player that helps your team win games, he scores but also takes a lot of (bad) shots, he can't pass, can't guard anybody, and he's getting 35M per season...yeah, i'd still take Chris Paul over him in 2019.

AroundTheWorld, jcmoon and YOLO like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The numbers are closer than you think.

And yep, health and youth makes all the difference too.

From a ceiling's standpoint, this is probably what you will get from Chris now - 16 and 5-7. Shooting 42%

This is some of the worst production from Tobias in terms of Efficiency - 17 and 8 boards. He got more to offer. Shooting 26%

One is balling at a high and the other at a low.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In this scenario a nope, they still got Simmons who plays PG.

Also Paul cannot play more than 35 minutes now, you have to calculate that into the equation.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup and Harris isn't the type of player where you can give him the ball and make something happen. he doesn't create for himself nor does he create for others. and he'll never possess the bball iq or intangibles cp3 brings. easily cp3 over harris. harris might be more "healthy" but that doesn't really matter if being healthy means just more outputs of bad play on the floor. being available means more when you're actually providing good results

Nook and Vivi like this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

In this scenario you might be right, although i'm not sure, i still think you can pretty much put Chris Paul in any kind of situation and he'll make it work, Simmons would still be there and could still handle the ball just like how Harden did it here with Chris playing off, and Simmons can guard wings so...but regardless of the situation, pound for pound Chris is still the better player, and for me that's not even close, the fact that their salary is basically the same at this point makes it even easier to chose.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, pretty sure a Chris Paul playing 65 games per season makes you win more games than Harris does by playing 82.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While they could have thrown that money at Jimmy Butler, he wasn't going to sign there, he made it pretty clear.

Harris was the easier target to keep. Sucks for them now but if Harris gets back to his efficiency, he is still a force to be reckoned with.

I also thought Josh Richardson would be better than this, but there is time.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

terrible trade and terrible contract. nice work by tobias in getting that contract.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

To Bash or not To Bash, that is the question.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Elton Brand set him up for failure. He is a PF...

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think they shouldn't have traded for him in the first place (and it was a bad trade to begin with), but that's just me. I understand they did that cause they probably knew Butler was not going to commit, but still, no trade > bad trade.