1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Isaiah Hartenstein ready to contribute?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Jul 2, 2019.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ewww. Keep that freak away from me!

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can use him at times. Let him have 5 min a game to develop. He can block and rebound better than the shorties.

ak99999 and Tfor3 like this.
  3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

MDA doesn’t even know he’s on the team.........

ak99999 likes this.
  4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Hunchy will never be NBA ready as he plays much smaller than his height (and not just because of his slumped shoulders) leading him to be a general liability on defense. No matter how well he integrates on the offensive end - his ceiling is too low to justify minutes. His best hope is to play a couple seasons on a really bad team while they gather ping pong balls.

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My boy Harty with a nice game. Good screens, great rebounding (16 in 31 minutes) plus decent paint protection. Offensively still not great but maybe he's shown enough to get some minutes. Kind of surprised they don't let him shoot 3s, he's never behind the 3 point line, which I thought was supposed to be one of his strengths. Not that he's a super accurate shooter but at least he can shoot them. Overall he looked better than old man Chandler tonight, but to be fair Chandler did play 25 minutes just last night.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Knee my faith in the young man would be proven right.

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  7. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

If he can grab over 10 rebounds every match, it is okay

8. TimDuncanDonaut

He gave the Rockets length and height. Being short handed, was crucial in tonight's T'wolves win.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our C situation is nice.

Clint/Tyson/Stein

I love it...

(Now get rid of Nene/Green and sign some prospect SF/PF’s)

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He did a really good job with his rebounding and altered a shot or two at the rim. It was more than I expected. Keep it up Hart.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

KAT is no easy guard … Hartenstein held his own in that regard and cleaned up the glass.

Maybe he is ready for a bigger role …

They don't have him parked behind the 3 point line because he is playing Capela's role - Pick and rim run - as that along with Harden's gravity is what makes this offense go. He filled that role better than I thought he would …

Good game , lets see him build on it , I think he earned some minutes …. but we all know Mike , Dan and Tony don't trust young players - He could disappear for a month if he misses his next shot.

12. JackLordsHair66

Good assessment of his strengths tonight ! I was pleasantly surprised by what he brought to the game as we never would have won without his great rebounding tonight, granted KAT is quite good offensively (and he did a nice job of limiting him) but awful soft so I wouldn’t expect that kind of game against some of the more dominant Centers. Hart needs to get some back up mins in upcoming games for sure !

raining threes and saleem like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He looks a ton better than when I last saw him play meaningful minutes, so that's a good thing.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

This post didnt age well lol

Newsflash: you don't need to be an allstar to contribute to an NBA team. Just be able to soak up 5-10 mins a night without costing your team is more than enough to justify your roster slot.

For a liability on defense he wasn't bad grabbed 12 defensive rebs and had plus minus +26.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And now that we know Hartenstein can play that means the coach should use him a lot more. Chandler doesn't need to play every game, he needs to be healthy for the playoffs.

Clemons also proved that he can play. The regular season rotation should be at least 2 men deeper...unfortunately I don't have much faith that MDA will extend it, even after these performances by Clemons and H-stein.

raining threes, fattz, xiki and 3 others like this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am interested in seeing Harty v Adams
    I think that would give us a good measure for his future.

Rocket River
    Unless the refs nerf him

raining threes likes this.
  17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Honestly, he looked about as good as he has looked all season in the G league. Then again, that’s what happens when you actually give a young player a longer leash.

You’ll never develop talent if you don’t let your rookies play through the occasional mistake. Hopefully Dan Toni isn’t too old for new tricks.

18. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

He looked really good and did exactly what we needed him to do. Grab boards and keep the play alive. He looked way more comfortable than last years peaks. Really hope Mike can give him more time.

#78 nickb492, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes

Last season Hartenstein put up great +/- numbers initially; but then teams learned to leave their starting
    center out there to take advantage of the inexperience of Hartenstein. I first noticed it vs Detroit and Drummond
    In game 16. Capela sat and instead of sitting the starter as most teams did, Detroit deliberately left Drummond
    in to face Hartenstein. Drum bullied Hart and other teams/players (Embiid/KAT) learned the same.

In the first 15 games last season Hartenstein was a plus 3.8 with games of plus 13, plus 16 and plus 27.
    In the final (remaining) 14 games Hartenstein appeared in was a minus 1,0 ( highest plus game being plus 6).
    per basketball-reference.com

Last night showed me Hartenstein can somewhat hold his own vs one of the best Centers as he faced KAT.
    Plus 26 vs Minn ( KAT included).
    (per basketball-reference.com)

#79 ApacheWarrior, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Dominate centers? Who are the dominant centers other than embiid.

raining threes likes this.