1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Ben & Chris, potentially, make EG expendable in a deal for the right wing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to see more, but this could be a thing.

fattz, ak99999, napalm06 and 4 others like this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yes. I like EG, but give me a legit 6'9" with some length, and adios EGawd.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Gordon with ye olde "6 month trade ban" makes this difficult.

5. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Cool it down, and wait a few months or even a few games before the hot takes.

IBTL, Elephant810, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. We can’t trade him until next summer at the earliest so we’re going to have to roll with him. Good thing is that history has shown Gordon gets marginally better when the calendar year flips. Bad thing is that he can give you a hot Gordon February and March but anything after that is a crap shoot

7. HP3

HP3 Member

He performs pretty well in the playoffs.

8. Plowman

Supporting Member

Looking forward though, great to see us, most likely with the flexibility to improve.

I just want to say, I have major respect for EG (perhaps not his handling of the latest injury)....But, all that he's been through, the character/devotion to his profession, to come back from the injuries....accepting, and thriving in his role here.

And, we need him to play a huge role this year. I have no doubt he's up to the task.

My only concern is that some deal is made shipping off Chris before the deadline.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Gordon can get more rest with the addition of Ben, House and perhaps Clemons too. This will keep him fresh for the playoffs.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

11. TimDuncanDonaut

I think we all want to see everyone on the team to succeed, and not anyone ending up being expendable.

Best scenario would be to show that this team shows has depth. The rotation could be longer and not tire out our starters. Russ can continue to heal up and not play the back to back.

Playing good defense takes energy, 1st unit can feel like the don't have to conserve energy if they know the 2nd unit can still bring it. If foul troubles, more bodies comes in handy. Some of the younger guys haven't been heavily scouted, so there could also be a bit of surprise advantage. Lastly, possible better match up against other team's bigger line up.

12. steddinotayto

you’re right, however, getting through an entire regular season of up and down (ie inconsistent) performances still makes it tough for the rest of the team.

BasketMAD, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  13. steddinotayto

I hope MDA will actually keep giving minutes to other players when Gordon comes back.

BasketMAD, D-rock, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  14. Plowman

Supporting Member

DM, the enabler, does it again..gives our resident Mad Scientist, MDA , a plethora of quality guards, and carte blanche to go full small ball or the more traditional route.

Daryl's so good...He did it with Les, and, again now....With the exception of that tweet, he knows how to keep everyone happy.

Red Chocolate, D-rock, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Im fine with it as long as he's there for the games we really need him. I get it how its frustrating though. 538's RAPTOR player model has him as one of the most(well he might be the most) disappointing player this season.

16. Plowman

Supporting Member

I have complete faith in Eric taking care of business, off and then on the court, from here on in.
    That said, the question should have included Austin.

jcmoon likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

No.

There isn't a wing available for 18M that is better than EG, especially in the playoffs where EG historically has shot 41% from 3.

We already have House and Mclemore who are tearing it up as the SFs in regular season why would you trade one of our best playoff performers for yet another wing?

P.S. Rivers signed a vet min deal on good faith trading him would destroy team chemistry as players will know all sacrificing for the team will get you is a dagger to the back.

jcmoon and Rocket River like this.
  18. Asian Sensation

31 years old coming off knee surgery that just signed a 4 year $76M contract. His numbers were terrible before the surgery announcement. Obviously he was playing at less than 100% but the number were still terrible nonetheless.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There is also the difficulty of (over summer) trading a 6'3 Ego for a younger 6'7+ version....

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i believe clemons can be a scorer in this league but calm down. it might take a season or two before he really develops consistency. still not sold on mclemore....i just have my doubts about him making shots when the lights are the brightest (playoffs)

for now Im just excited for the potential of this group. i hope EGO comes back healthy and ready to roll in a couple months.

fattz, D-rock, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.