1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Thabo Sefolosha

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 20, 2019.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Let's get it on!

JuNx, D-rock and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

All these videos are so hype.. let tonight hurry up.

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I envision James getting lots of open 3s as a trailer coming up the court when Westbrook gets a rebound and pushes it

D-rock, sirbaihu and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You could say the same about us re being good on paper.

I think you're talking about the 2 or 3 best teams. I'm talking about whether the Jazz are in contention for a top 2 or 3 regular season record, which I think they are capable of, just as much as they're capable of being the 7th seed.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No idea, sure, they were always good without Conley, always around 4-5th seed.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Power plan for Sefolosha

Most of Thabo Sefolosha’s playing time in the Rockets’ second preseason game came at power forward. This was not an experiment. It is the plan.

A 6-foot-7 small forward through most of his 13-year career, Sefolosha will likely work as a backup power forward behind P.J. Tucker and possibly Danuel House Jr., depending on House’s playing time at small forward.

“He’ll play a four,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni said. “If he plays, it will be (as) a four. We’ll have Danuel House and Gerald (Green). Three is pretty loaded with Eric (Gordon) and everybody else. That (power forward spot) will be Sefolosha’s spot.

“Thabo looked good. Just his energy and smartness, he played really well.”

Sefolosha, who made 40.7 percent of his 3-pointers the past two seasons with the Utah Jazz, took just one shot, a 3 that he missed. But he had four rebounds and a pair assists, including one on a nice pass to set up a Tyson Chandler dunk when he attacked a closeout.

Sefolosha’s shooting range is no longer the novelty at the power forward spot it once was with the Rockets in particular keeping a shooter at the position at all times. But if that takes away some of the advantage that once came when power forwards had to defend at the 3-point line, it does make the transition easier.

“It’s just a matter of learning to play a different position,” Sefolosha said. “As the camp is going along, I’m feeling more and more comfortable with everything we’re trying to do offensively and defensively. I’m pretty comfortable at this spot.

“It seems like everybody knows that people can shoot. It’s four guys outside and one closer to the paint. I think I’m moving enough. I know teams like to switch. I’m picking my spots to offensive rebound, just take advantage of what the defense gives us.”

7. Junebball

Junebball Member

I don't like this. He is too little to play there. MDA is a great coach but he only thinking offense. I would rather he designate Clark as a main backup to PJ at PF position.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Clark can't hit his 3's, no amount of defense, rebounding, smart plays, and intangABILTY is going to get him on the court. That's why you see him in preseason hoisting up 3s when he gets the ball.

MDA is frustratingly stubborn

amaru and Junebball like this.
  9. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

I like Ryan Anderson as the backup 4

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

So are you.

When it comes to D'Antoni.

Clark needs to earn his minutes, Thabo is better right now. Not even a discussion.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When Clark was playing well last year, MDA benched him because he had one disastrous game as a rookie. Imagine if MDA just continued to play Clark, and he continued to improve, maybe Rockets don't need to play 35 yr old Thabo at PF.

Other coaches just throw Rookies into the fire. Doc played his young players (out of necessity, but still) and now some of their youngsters are rotation players.

Little Bit likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

YESSSS!! Thabo at the 4 like I wanted and expected, great :) Ryno is not ready.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am a Clark fan, loved his FA signing last season. But Clark needs to earn his minutes, the more competition, the better. Iron sharpens iron, the ring is the goal.

Thabo backs up Tucker at the 4 right now because he is better. Period. Age be damned.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off, I wanted Thabo here in the worst way. he's one of the swingmen we needed. Fantastic pick up.

But, this is the thing I worried about. I agree he should play SOME four. Not exclusively though.

By playing him there all the time you lose the advantage when he's guarding 2 or 3's. And it obviously creates an exploitable disadvantage.

Sefolosha is very reminiscent of Ariza, so I get it. But, we STILL need another bigger/longer swing man. I know I sound like a broken record. It IS a hole in our lineup though. Both defensively and ON THE BOARDS.

Invisible Fan and amaru like this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

Ryno is going to be the stretch 5. Minutes are available since Nene is “injured”

D-rock likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

Doubtfully

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pass the crow, please. I really Holic'd that one.

[​IMG]

FrontRunner, SF3isBack!! and D-rock like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Calvin Murphy could dunk like Chris Clemons.

SF3isBack!! and topfive like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I did too, pass the fork!

FrontRunner likes this.