1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myles Garrett suspension

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let's talk about Garrett's incoming suspension.

This dude is a dirty player. He's going down the Burfict road. He hits every quarterback high. He's consistently going helmet to helmet and not getting called. He consistently lands full body on QBs and doesn't get called. He ended Trevor Simien's season with a dirty hit. He punched Delanie Walker. And now this. This was all this season.

This wasn't out of character for him like everyone is saying. This IS his character. This dude is dirty.

If Kareem Hunt can get suspended for 8 games for kicking at a woman off the field, and Ray Rice can get cancelled for punching his wife in the face, Garrett deserves whatever he gets. Committing assault with a deadly weapon in the field is not a good look for anyone.

It doesn't matter what Rudolph did. The intent Garrett had was more than malicious. It's telling that when Pouncey, a borderline character guy in his own right, goes after Myles and is throwing blows on him, none of Garrett's teammates even tried to defend him. That's how bad this was.

If this dude is suspended less than 10 games, it's not enough. In my opinion, 16 games seems right.

da_juice, lw17 and deb4rockets like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He obviously has a short fuze, and is capable of beating someone to a pulp off the field. You can't help wonder if he could contain himself when someone sets him off, regardless of whether it was a man, woman, or child.

The NFL is full of dirty players. Sure, that was a new low, and can't be tolerated. Was the result as bad as what has happened to so many others who are intentionally targeted in a way to snap bones and bend body parts in directions that aren't natural? Remember that sick dirty hit on Cushing that ended his season? There are so many players who ended up with season ending injuries or career ending injuries stemming from some dirty player who simply wants to take a player out.

On the bright side Rudolph's lucky he didn't swing that helmet into his face. The result could have been so much worse. Many players have had much worse results stemming from dirty hits, but Myles will not, and should not get away lightly for hitting a QB on the head with his helmet. As you said, it was the intent to do harm. He did the unthinkable, and set a new low for sportsmanship among players..

Honestly, the guy probably needs a whole lot of help with anger management issues or he might end up killing some poor person one day for saying or doing something that sets him off.

#2 deb4rockets, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Antonio Smith was only suspended one regular season game (+ two preseason games) for his helmet swing.

#3 J.R., Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gruden never traded Garrett.
    Gruden traded Khalil Mack to Chicago.
    Garrett was the first pick by Cleveland in 2017.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  5. ktex

ktex Member

Yes but didn't connect.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, looking at the video, he's really really lucky the part of the helmet that landed was the softer part around the neck. If he had connected with the solid part with as hard as he swung, he could have done some real damage. Then you're talking jail time and lifetime suspension. Even still, they need to throw the book at this dude.

7. Fantasma Negro

Should be 4-6 games

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks JR. I got them mixed up. I never watch the Browns mainly because I don't like Beckham, Hill, and Mr. "Crotch grabber QB". I don't watch Chicago because I don't really care about that division. I didn't watch the game but watched the clip after seeing your post.

Nope, my football following is pretty limited to the Texans and our division rivals. I do enjoy watching Mahomes and Rogers at times though.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ok, hold it right there. I agree that Garrett deserves a long suspension. But, let's not compare what Garrett did on the field, to football players beating up women off the field.

Gray_Jay and dc rock like this.
  10. conquistador#11

I've been hearing that coming out of the draft he was considered "soft" and passive. Yet every time I see him he's launching into a qb 8 seconds after the ball has been released. Dirty.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

By the way, Rudolph tried to take Garret's helmet off first, then kicked Garrett in the balls before Garrett swung the helmet. The act is still inexcusable but now you have your "why the hell did he do that" answered

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

He should be suspended for the season, but ESPN and others are going over board with the wall-to-wall hyperventilating coverage on this. They turn every athlete's bad act into the scandal of the century. I guess it's good for ratings, but sports news seems so toxic these days. It's all non-stop controversies, gossip and monitoring social media accounts for "shade." I used to watch sports to momentarily distract from the bad news and drama of the real world. ESPN makes me hate sports.

BigDog63, Gray_Jay, da_juice and 4 others like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the rest of the season at least and going into next year

edwardc and solid like this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fine and suspend him for the rest of the season and be done with it. No party should be remotely interested in escalating this any higher.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Doesn't help the already deteriorating image of NFL players. I know many hardcore NFL fans who have stopped following the league. The Goodell extension was a huge mistake.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This isn’t over they are in the same division and play each other twice a year.

18. gucci888

Nah the league is almost as healthy and prosperous as its ever been. Advertisement is as high as its ever been and viewership is pretty much back to its highs as well.

Goodell is a slime ball but the league is churning as usual.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

man he legit whacked him. look at that sucker bend.

[​IMG]

20. gucci888

Tough guys from Cleveland...

Houstunna likes this.