1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 11/13/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 12, 2019.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

I could watch this a million times over

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. JW86

JW86 Member

I am very impressed across the board. My take:

Positives:
    - Defense!!! This game was won with it, don’t let the MVP performance by Harden fool you. If we had tried to outshoot them, it would’ve been game over. Harden, Capela and Tucker had excellent defensive games from the get go. The bench showed up too and McLemore tried while Westbrook made sure they trapped hard! Just all round brilliant and I’ll credit everyone for this as I saw some great moves to keep Trez out of it, as well as just put pressure on the ball handler with occasional double teams and traps. Sagging off Beverley worked to a T.
    - Harden, what can I say, I jumped the gun a bit with my emotional self. He’s on MVP level offensively with his threes, attacks to the basket and floaters. The difference I see is he has his mind set on getting to the basket. I see much less baiting and playing for fouls, only a bit in the 3rd quarter with Brothers, but luckily he did not try to bait him. This was actually a game where I would’ve understood with the way it was officiated. In any case, the defense was what impressed me. Cannot count on him making shots from EGO territory.
    - MDA - I liked how he didn’t panic, actually took a chance with Westbrook, gave McLemore a shot that paid off and went big after Capela went down. He stuck with guys and quickly sat Clemons who wasn’t giving us anything. Played Rivers down the stretch, good stuff.
    - Attitude and fortitude - This was one of the egregious reffed games I’ve ever seen. They literally looked for any excuse to blow the whistle on Westbrook and Tucker. Maybe Beverley got called for some odd fouls, went straight loco on both sides, but we literally got called for touch fouls while they could get away with blatant fouls. The one on Westbrook’s dunk was the worst, you know Brothers saw it. Ironically he wasn’t the worst ref. Seems like the minions tried to prove they are as dirty as him. For the guys to play through that, not whine too much and just keep playing physical defense and not looking for make up calls - Harden tried a few times - was a great sign.

Negative:
    - Westbrook’s shot selection and form- I really don’t know how he learned to shoot with that elbow and late release on those midrange shots, but he needs to learn to cut those. I do like how he tends to make any shot when we need him, to take momentum back.
    - Clemons - He was hesitant and when he got it on the fast break just backed off.

Overall awesome game, statement game and have to continue playing like this to contend.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The *takeaway* from the media today is the Westbrook/Beverley quotes. Barely a story. But that is what is being talked about.

What ISNT being talked about is Harden's 47pts versus a good Kawhi lead defensive team. Including 17pts in the final 5 minutes.

NO TALK ABOUT HARDEN? Ridiculous.

Media conspiracy!

Nook, Von Rafer, Remlap and 1 other person like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Please no small ball, start Chandler!

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

DreamShook, Von Rafer and Deuce like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You really should be giving Elston some credit here. He was brought in to mix up our defense and although there have been some struggles, it seems like his system is slowly starting to register in our players heads. It's going to take a little more time for the communication to be there, but hopefully we will be mid tier by February and ready to roll in the playoffs.

Matt Bullard mentioned during a previous game that the Rockets were trying to keep Capela and Chandler less on the perimeter and more in the paint to improve rebounding and paint protection.

We have a long way to go, but the way the team defended yesterday was encouraging.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

I think the deal is that Tyson isn’t an every game guy. When he plays, probably not going to see the Tucker at C lineups, but when he isn’t available it appears no one on the roster is ready or capable so Tucker will be there.

With CC out now I wouldn’t be surprised to see him there some in these next 2.

Junebball likes this.
  11. mockster

mockster Member

Lol, says the guy who would never dare put his money where his mouth is and makes outrageous statements that curry n Kobe suck. You really got butt hurt didn’t you?.

lol trust me I’m a way more involved in the rockets organization then you’ll ever be.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's fair. He might not improve, but what I like about him is that he's taking the 3&D roll seriously. He seems to play hard on the defensive end. He finishes okay at the rim so he's not a liability on a breakaway. My expectations are low for him, so he's filling what I need to see out of him. I also think he'll grow more into that roll going forward and get more comfortable with it.

I'm guessing you don't think he'll improve?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Don't forget that it wasn't just Paul George that was out. The Rockets were without 2 of their best 5 players as well.

Deuce and jcmoon like this.
  14. don grahamleone

He doesn't move the needle THAT MUCH. Of course he moves it. Just not enough of an improvement that they beat us last night with him. Any improvement they get from George, we get from having a healthy EGo&House back.

Nook likes this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Finally slowed down the pace. Much more suited to our players strengths.

16. don grahamleone

Hey Warm Butter! How you doing today? Lot's of plans for big talk on the internet?

MorningZippo and hakeem94 like this.
  17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

this is true....House should take all of Bens minutes and now that Tyson and Thabo have proven themselves this season is looking a whole lot better....Tyson was even guarding the perimeter fairly well. At least we have a nine man rotation now when we need it....I am optimistic...this game was a season-altering, even a franchise-altering win.

we still need another forward...hopefully morey can work his magic once again.

Nook likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thanks for taking the time to give an excellent analysis. Do you have a video of the game?

don grahamleone likes this.