1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Another school shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, May 18, 2018.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The rise of single parenthood, namely single mothers.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yes I pointed that out previously. Its also why I stated gun violence.

The discussion I am trying to have is not about means and ways to kill people other than guns.

The question is do we have a problem with ease of access and what exactly does the 2nd Amendment protect. We have established criminals and mentally ill do not have rights. Should people demonstrate competence and understanding of gun laws? Or should we allow willful negligence in the name of the 2nd amendment?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we'd established that criminals and mentally ill do not have rights to own guns. But some GOP NRA folks don't see it that way. https://www.npr.org/2017/02/02/5131...ma-rule-restricting-gun-sales-to-mentally-ill

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Basically
    We really don't mind if a few kids get killed every now and again
    as long as people can parade around with guns like its a car show

Rocket River
    Kids just are not that important

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile, the trump solution is arming teachers...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I literally laughed out loud. That was a great tweet.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'll admit that this gets beyond my expertise, but I'll offer this thought: there are those who contend that this whole push to define and brand (some) men as having "toxic masculinity" as an effort to curtail gun rights. That is, "toxic masculinity" will be defined as a mental illness; and therefore anyone accused of "suffering" from that "malady" will lose their gun rights. (and the Gillette ad is but one salvo in this campaign)

It seems a bit far fetched, but I am increasingly favorably disposed towards believing the conspiracy theories about the left. In this case, the theory is that lefties only want govt officials to have guns; and then....well, you can probably figure out the rest.

The real and better question to my mind is: why are there more mentally unstable people than there used to be? I have my theories....

8. dmoneybangbang

I think states need to get out of gun regulations, it should be federal only.

I think your idea about “competency” being a requirement is spot on.

9. dmoneybangbang

Because of the increased access to information. The world hasn’t gotten any more violent or crazy, you just hear about it more places and much more quickly.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have never heard this discussion paired with gun rights. If this discussion is being had anywhere, its an extreme minority. Im not going to get into this discussion, because quite frankly, its silly.

Again, gun control is not uniformly defined by left/right narratives. Its the extremist and uneducated that are polarizing the issue. Yes, its the leftist who tend to want to completely abolish guns (although this is a common view with women too) and its the extreme right who believe as an individual, they should have the right to unfettered access to weapons along with autonomy and no oversight.

If an individual feels that guns should be restricted to military and LEO's, I can respect that belief. I dont agree with it, but I respect it. This view is not a conspiracy theory. We can argue hypotheticals and what ifs about gun abolishment until the end of time, however we do have the 2nd amendment that prevents this from happening. There is no need to discuss this view as its not a widely agreed upon solution, even among leftist. Additionally, its not even a view held by most countries in the world. The difference is most countries want a little more effort than simply throwing down a couple hundred dollars at walmart or a pawn shop.

Additionally, the 2nd amendment does not guarantee unfettered access and autonomy. A guns only purpose is to serve destruction. Is it really too much to ask for an individual to prove their competency to use and/or own such a device?

You're getting off into the weeds of the discussion. Many more people die at the hands of incompetence than the mentally unstable. Im not going to advocate gun restrictions that do very little to fix any issue when we can put that effort else where and be a whole lot more productive.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/manhood-as-mental-disorder/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what...-a-mental-disorder_b_59e55ad3e4b08c75593ce60a

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/toxic-masculinity-mental-health/

If you make "toxic masculinity" a mental illness, the govt can pretty much take all guns away from men.

And:

UBI is silly. It's being talked about as a serious policy position.

"We're all going to die in 12 years due to climate change" is silly. It's being talked about as a serious policy position.

Just because something is a) silly and b) you haven't heard of it yet, doesn't mean they aren't people trying to advocate it.

12. NewRoxFan

No surprise... trump wimps out. What is more offensive is that the lying bag of bones (kellyanne) including gun violence on her list of things Democrats aren't working on while proceeding with impeachment inquiry.

13. NewRoxFan

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

IT'S TOO SOON TO DISCUSS GUN CONTROL CAN WE BURY THESE CHILDREN BEFORE LIBERALS START ATTACKING THE SECOND AMENDMENT!

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Absolutely horrible.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

let's hope the death count is in the single digits.

Small victories folks.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

#tnp

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not saying I agree at all, but... just wait until we get the generation of kids raised by this behavior:
    [​IMG]

Basically, very few kids I see out and about in liberal San Francisco are getting one lick of attention from their phone-addled parents. The "wire monkey" syndrome will be rampant, you would think.

ElPigto and FranchiseBlade like this.