1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Scottie Pippen and Reggie Miller overlooked or overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Nov 14, 2019.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Alot of fans are torn over these two players. I've seen many polls from fans that don't rank them, so highly. Also, alot of bloggers and YT follow suit.

Yet, there are other popular YTers and former players and coaches, who say the fans and media shortchanged them in their status.

I've been in the neighborhood of both are great HOF players, but their positions are so competitive, historically. It's reasonable and arguable that both could struggle to crack the top 10.

1. Scottie Pippen

Many people have him in the top 5, yet he barely cracks the top 10.

Pros: Arguably, the greatest defender ever.
    MVP caliber in 94.
    Many All-Star appearances and six rings.

Cons:
    He was never really a number one and wouldn't be on most other teams in 80s -2000s unless that team is mediocre. Even in his best scoring and offensive rated seasons, it suffers in comparison to almost 15 other players, not including Bird, LBJ, and Dr. J.

The list of SF, Havlicek, Worthy, Baylor, Barry, Nique, Kawhi, Dantley, King, Pierce, and even Hill (in peak seasons outpaces Pippen).

Another myth that people argue is these other players were always the main guy. Several of these guys weren't and the one's who were 25 ppg to 30 pp g in multiple seasons. Those numbers are from players of different generation.
    Some say he played with MJ, which suppress his numbers, yet forget about 94 and 95.

Even, his years with Rockets and Blazers. If this is case, then how come players, like Kobe, Penny (before injuries), McHale, Worthy, Wade (briefly), Yao, Peja (before injuries), Westbrook, Steph (briefly); Toney (3rd option), or any wing players who played with Wilt Chamberlain.

I've always referred to Pippen, like a master utility player, who can catch; steal bases; hit for high averages; arm with range, and ok home run power. Like, a good skater who can pass and defend in the middle of the ice.

All that is great, yet

2. Reggie Miller

Many say his disrespected for his clutch playoff appearances and unparalleled 3 point shooting. When critics say he's nowhere near the top 5, some will those people are haters, ignorant about basketball, or care more about numbers. Yet, he wasn't great defender or master scorer or playmakers.

Look at the list for shooting guards,

MJ, Kobe, West, Wade, Our own Beard, Pistol Pete, AI, Drexler, Gervin, Richmond, Allen, T-Mac, Vinsanity, Dumars, Sprewell, Monroe, Ginobili, DJ, and this is the more prominent guys.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pippen generally overrated, Miller underrated.

Miller in this era would be insane.

arkoe, KingCheetah, lnchan and 10 others like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean if the OP is talking about "Top 5" for either then it's a silly conversation.

Duke Fan, jcf, MorningZippo and 4 others like this.
  4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The 1993-94 Bulls weren't mediocre.

Reggie Miller is criminally underrated.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Reggie didn’t get hand checks and the offense was three point heavy then he would put up crazy stats
    Same with ray allen

Jontro likes this.
  6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, but wouldn't that also apply to Pistol Pete, West, Richmond, Houston, even T-Mac/VC, and quite few others. They are all playmakers with 3 point ability.

I didn't even get around to players, like Reggie Theus, Fat Lever, or Jeff Malone.

jcf likes this.
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, but wouldn't that also apply to Pistol Pete, West, Richmond, Houston, even T-Mac/VC, and quite few others. They are all playmakers with 3 point ability.

I didn't even get around to players, like Reggie Theus, Fat Lever, and Jeff Malone.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

as a comentator, reggie can go get bent. quitten should take malone and jump off a cliff.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

They were both great players and eventually both became terrible tv announcers and analysts.

10. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

One time I was at a knicks game sitting next to spike lee. Knicks were playing the pacers and we were heckling miller. He got so worked up he got tossed from the game, but knicks security tossed me and spike too. So spike, reggie, and me ended up going to a strip club.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Miller was one dimensional which is why he couldn't get past those Knicks team.

He had a hard time creating off the dribble for himself.

He couldn't create for others.

Wasnt rerally that great of a driver.

Didnt have great handles.

Was an average defender at best.

His bread and butter was coming off of a screen to nail jumpers with his quick trigger..

I would take Ray Allen over Reggie Miller. Allen was more versatile.

#11 Zboy, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both are great players with stinky personalities. But top 5? No.

Pippen is a better version of Klay Thompson.

Miller's brightest point in his resume is his clutchness. But if you look at his overall numbers, he's not that impressive compared to other great players.

SamFisher likes this.
  13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You have to consider era. Prime Reggie posted higher ORtgs than Jordan. When we talk about a shooter's gravity, Reggie's had a massive impact, in no small part because almost nobody else was playing like him during that time.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  14. jowman

jowman Member

Miller is the worst analyst out there can’t stand hearing his voice and “analysis”.

Invisible Fan and napalm06 like this.
  15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Curious questions, since made a great mention about that.

1. Do you think the Pacers would've went further in the playoffs with a player to caliber of Harden, Westbrook, Kobe, or Iverson? Or, even old timers, like Pistol Pete, Drexler, or the Iceman.

-or-

2. Add one of those players to the Pacers with Miller still on the team, does he become the 2nd option, automatically? With every other aspect remaining consistent do they get the Bulls or Knicks of the time.

16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

1. Yes

2. He would have definitely become the second option. They would surpass the Knicks. Not sure about the Bulls. Just my two cents.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Reggie’s Pacers got past the Knicks in the 95, 98, and 2000 playoffs. Miller’s heroics in the 95 series are legendary. They got to the Finals in 2000.

it’s fair to knock him for being one dimensional, but lack of playoff success is not really accurate. Reggie is responsible for some of the most iconic playoff performances of my lifetime.

18. macan

macan Member

Scottie Pippen is probably top 6 SF of all time. a bit underrated, ppl just didn't notice how good he really was because MJ was getting all that attention.
    Miller is just a great shooter like Curry. that's about it. none of them can carry a team like what Harden does. Harden > Miller and Curry

napalm06 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Gotta disagree on the Klay Thompson part. Klay Thompson is a better JJ Reddick. Probably on par with Ray Allen. I'd probably give Miller the edge.

I have no cares for Pippen, but he was a versatile SF thriving off of MJ's shadow, not a spot up shooting guard in this category.

20. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I do not care for Reggie Miller either. But if I was cast into hell and had to listen to either Reggie Miller or Chris Collinsworth incessant talking and analysis for eternity I would probably choose Reggie Miller.

peleincubus likes this.