1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Wright Believe Harden Is a Better Player Than Kawhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Nov 14, 2019.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't just the GS series in particular that elevated Kawhi. It was the nation watching him limp and carry his team past Philly and the Bucks. It was the Greek Freak shooting 55% in games 1 & 2, then 35% after Kawhi became his primary defender. No one picked the Raptors to come out of the East. His journey was impressive.

I hate that James is viewed only as a regular season wonder by the masses. The good thing is that he and the Rockets have a great opportunity to change that perception this year. James just needs a few signature playoff moments and wins. Then he will get his just due IMHO.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Bottom line James has to win a championship to get that type of consideration or play extremely well in the NBA finals. He hasn't reached an NBA finals with the Rockets. Kawhi has taken 2 teams to the NBA Finals and won 2 MVPs... Over their careers, yes James is better but when it counts, Kawhi has been better.

D-rock likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean we are talking about a handful of bad games 5 years ago. He has played a ton of playoff basketball and for the most part has played very well.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I know. The "Harden doesn't show up in the playoffs" narrative is largely BS. I've gotten into my share of fruitless Twitter spats on this topic, trust me.

But I do think that Kawhi's game and temperament is better suited for the challenges of the playoffs than Harden's. That said, it's also true that he's not asked to do as much on offense. You can't depend on Kawhi to orchestrate the offense like Harden and expect better results.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He had some real stinkers against the Jazz last year as well. He looked dazed and confused in some of those games.

Jake Tower and daywalker02 like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, if we are comparing, then the 15th pick Leonard was pretty good 5 years ago already.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man I am NOT knocking down Kawhi here I think Kawhi is absolutely a monster.

And for the record, I called the Raptors a title contender on this site to start the season and put them in the group of teams that I thought could win the whole thing, not just the East. That was when the Warriors were healthy. I had them above the Rockets. Nothing but love here for Toronto and Kawhi from me.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  8. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I like to think Nick Wright is not absolute garbage.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Also Leonard has rarely been a Regular season MVP guy, he is missing so many games.

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Didn't see Kawhi on Harden hardly at all last night. I thought a defensive player of the year would be all over the other team's best offensive player if he "just wants to win" as we always hear about Kawhi. I guess when you have to carry the load offensively, it's a little tough to play lock down D as well...hmmm, don't we know someone that gets a bad rap for that?

D-rock likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That red shirt guy/doofus in the Glasses said Harden disappeared in the playoffs last year.

31.6 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 6.6 apg, 35% 3, 50% efg, 37% usage, 25.2 PER, against 2 elite defensive teams/peak Warriors - it's not the flat out rediculous h Wilt/Jordan heights he reached in the regular season, but you know, that's like, really really good after recording the highest usage ever and the greatest offensive performance in 4 decades?

D-rock, clutchdabear and justtxyank like this.
  12. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

This national media narrative will never change. Say Harden wins his first ring, they will say, well Kawhi or so and so has 2 or 3 or 4... When it comes to Harden going MIA in playoffs, that's just haters hating and ignoring the stats, and it will continue. It's also interesting to me how people easily forget how Kawhi cried his way to play in the City he wants to while backstabbing his teammates along the way. I don't know his health history, but from face value, his load management in every team he has played in and leaving his teammates in Spurs and Raptors high and dry is a selfish and a dick move because his highness wants to play in LA and nowhere else.

D-rock likes this.
  13. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Kawhi always had more help than Harden. So less pressure on Kawhi.

D-rock, bacliff and Air Yordan like this.
  14. omgTHEpotential

Lol what

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

@6:39, homie actually said Harden has never carried a team in the regular season.

People will say anything to avoid being wrong.

Harden's durability is something that gets massively underrated (especially in a debate vs Kawhi).

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd take Kawhi in the playoffs too. BUT, you gotta get to the playoffs first.

Harden can't load manage the Rockets into the postseason because Rockets would be a lottery team. James has carried his squad to the playoffs in the tougher conference for almost a decade (and usually gets a top seed). Kawhi has executed that burden once in his career ('17) and couldn't stay healthy in the playoffs.

#36 Houstunna, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    fckbandwagons likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don’t care if anybody thinks Harden is behind Kawhi/Steph/Durant/LeBron/etc. I do have a problem with people saying it’s not close, and overstating Harden’s playoff resume. It’s much better than he gets credit for, even on this website.

beardsanity713 and BaselineFade like this.
  18. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

the difference between Harden and Kawhi is that James is a more lethal perimeter player while kawhi is obviously better in the post. 3 points counts more than 2 and James' stepback is unguardable…..James harden has the whole other team guarding him the moment he gets the ball while you can get by with single coverage or a soft double against kawhi...If you account for how much defense the other team has to play because of harden and the wide open shots he gets for capela and 3 point shooters, there's no question harden is better....who would you rather have the ball with five minutes left? harden.....if kawhi was still the klaw you could make a case, but James was scoring on him easily one on one.....

Also...kawhi has always done well on stacked teams...its easy to play well on that raptors team or the spurs team...well rounded great teams...its hard to double or triple team kawhi on those teams....

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Kawhi had better results. But harden performed better vs the warriors last year.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t think Kershaw works. His postseason numbers are like orders of magnitude worse in the playoffs vs his regular season. Harden doesn’t drop off that bad.

Verlander maybe? Overall great everywhere, but winless in the WS and has some head scratchers every once in a while.

D-rock and HP3 like this.