1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey given permission to spend into the luxury tax!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, May 12, 2019.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Time already told. He is a cheap owner.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Cheap owners get cheap results. It’s getting fair to question whether we can make the playoffs this year. Dallas may even have more talent than us this year.

PeterKingX likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious that Tilman will not allow Morey to do this. Still, Morey should’ve been able to use the BAE and MLE on some of the guys off the board or even available.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey can't hide behind a lying owner and excuses forever, can he?

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

YES YES YES WE ARE GOING TO SIGN THEM ALL. LUXURY TAX IS NO LONGER AN ISSUE!

DARYL MOREY DOES NOT REPRESENT THE HOUSTON ROCKETS
    - TILMAN FERTITA

one thing he really wasn't lying about

slothy420 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL @ all the fools who believed this.

[​IMG]

7. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Maury voice* “The lie detector determined that THAT was a lie”

Little Bit likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What inspired you to suddenly throw luxury tax shade at our favorite basketball organization?

9. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Good thread or nah?

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I have to admit, I saw the bump, wondered which mid-prized 3-4 with size the Rockets just went into the tax for, and got excited.

Silly me. Weird to bump this now.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Shumpert being signed and traded later when eligible was our last hope at improving this team without trading Capela. And our only real shot of hitting luxury tax situations this year.

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I was a fool. I guess i still am because i still want to believe.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

*UPDATE*

HALLELUJAH: It appears that LTS will retire a Rocket!

Gray_Jay, clutchdabear and Easy like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

@treyk3 bumped it, not me.

I don't even know if he could still be S&T now (too late?) but [bumped] maybe because Shump was the last ...hope? resource? ... that they could have went over the cap to sign & use as a trade piece later and all they have left now is Capela, Tucker & Gordon (next summer).

Still want to believe he'll spend in the luxury tax? When? This year? Next year? 5 years from now? 10 years?

I've been outspoken on Tilman but I'm actually...coming around?
    I was/am a fan of UH Chairman Tilman Fertitta because I do think he would do "Whatever it takes" for UH athletics.

I can't defend the cost-cutting moves. Terrible, awful, you name it but...
    He did pay Chris Paul (even if that was a handshake agreement from the trade and previous owner and even if he later publicly complained about it per Tim MacMahon)
    He took a year on Westbrook.
    He paid Gordon & Capela (only for both to play like **** and now Gordon is having surgery)
    He paid House (even if it was later than he should have)

Yeah, I do have real doubts he'll ever pay the luxury tax but we gotta stop pretending Les was over here paying the tax every year or every other year. (But I get it, Tilman said himself or through Jonathan Feigen things like "Whatever it takes", "Green light to bust the budget", "Win at all costs" and that's clearly not the case and not only is it not the case, he then spits in your face and says "It was a fluke, an accident." ... while Les (not that I recall anyways) never said like things.)

You can ask or complain about why he wrote a book but he went on a book tour and surprise! They asked the owner of the Rockets about his team the Rockets! Everyone's upset. "Just STFU! Go away already! This guy is so embarrassing!" Apparently I guess supposed to pull a Westbrook and "Next question" them. "What about your team this year?" "NEXT QUESTION."

China, I don't know if he handled that wrong or not? Yeah, I probably wouldn't have publicly reprimanded Daryl but he did but he also said "I have the best GM in the league." I know, everyone thinks it's a matter of when, not if, Daryl is gone.

"I have the best general manager in the league. Everything is fine with Daryl and me. We got a huge backlash, and I wanted to make clear that [the organization] has no [political] position.

The mural thing ... I had photoshop fun with that but like...big ****ing deal? He has a picture of himself and a picture of his family. Leslie was on there too with the two trophies he took to Florida. Did I miss the uproar (about him being on the mural)? And no, Daryl hasn't been on any of these. That's not Tilman "snubbing" Daryl.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Anything he says or does, he'll be chastised for. He's James Dolan 2.0, he's the worst owner, he's this, he's that...and while I criticized him for his cost cutting(and don't ultimately expect him to pay the LT anytime soon), I'm gonna try to give him a chance.

I know, I know, if not now with Morey, Harden & Westbrook in their prime, then when?

roslolian and BaselineFade like this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

SNT deadline expired when the season started.

Sign and keep to trade at the deadline was still an option IIRC.